Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
I'm a Wal-Mart boycotter as well. Another good reason you didn't mention, betts: I do not want to be a part of their dominance and exclusivity in this market. There are already something like 21 Supercenters in the OKC Metro right now. It's ridiculous and it's why we don't have any competing national grocery stores right now.
Amen to that, I am in complete agreement, and everything mentioned here are the reasons I also boycott Wal-mart. Except for maybe the employee treatment thing, because actually, I think they are pretty decent compared to other discount big-box markets for similar types of jobs, and its so easy to get a job there. And they murder local business in small towns. And their produce and meat generally are of sub-par quality and pricey given the product. I hate Wal-fart and will not go there unless I'm truly, truly desperate.

I agree, the key to us getting/keeping national upscale chains, and even keeping the local grocery chains we already have, is for us to prove that Wal-mart will not be a competitor the way they are now, and I'm committed to contributing to that in any way possible.

Anyway, to contribute to this thread, there is no way we are going to get a Trader Joe's in this century. They steer clear of the center-bar of the country. Texas doesn't even have one. You can check out the spatial pattern in their locations below:

Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Locations

At least with the WF discussions, we are in the running to get one. I'll hang on to that one.

But I admit, I love TJ, they are amazing, and would probably go there more often than a WF if I had the choice.