Widgets Magazine

Thread: Okc Needs 600-800 Room High-rise Convention Hotel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Okc Needs 600-800 Room High-rise Convention Hotel

I think they should gut the Century Centre and turn it into a single anchor store. Like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus.

I proposed this idea years ago (informally). The Century Centre connects to the Sheraton Hotel. Well, gut and renovate it into a single anchor store (with storefront boutiques and cafes). Then lease the anchor store to Nordstrom or Neiman or some upscale department store as their Oklahoma Anchor.

I also proposed re-opening Main Street, even if it is only one or two lanes as one way and putting additional storefront retail and restaurants in those skyscrapers in that area. This would create a "badly needed" shopping district for downtown and would give us our first downtown anchor in what? 30 years??

I think the Century Centre is too small to be a true mall. But its 10,000 or so feet is perfect for an anchor store!! And it would connect to the Sheraton, now that is a BIG selling point!!! Not to mention it is right across the street from the convention centre and much of downtown's current CBD.

Honestly, I wish I could buy the Century Centre, make deals with existing downtown skyscrapers and move the existing century centre businesses into the skyscrapers or their streetlevel fronts (esp on Main Street). Then, I'd gut the Century and install new floors and lease it to a major upscale anchor - not currently in Oklahoma!

I honestly think that is the BEST use for that building, otherwise - like others have said, tear it down and expand the Sheraton into a 1000+ room convention hotel.

By the way, the original plan for the Sheraton did call for another wing of the hotel and would have brought an additional 300+ rooms. But it was decided that with the decline of downtown back in the day, those rooms werent needed anymore. Good thing times have changed!

I think we need at least two large scale hotels like Adams Mark and Crowne Plaza, who specialize in large conventions. But I would really like to see the Century Centre renovated into an anchor store first!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Default Re: Okc Needs 600-800 Room High-rise Convention Hotel

I have said before that we need a Hyatt Regency. If Wichita can support one, we certainly can (of course they have no Sheraton, Renaissance, or Courtyard). The perfect spot is across from the Myriad Gardens in that spot that MalibuSooner highlighted. Wouldn't it be great to see a fancy art-deco Hyatt overlooking the our own little Central Park? And then there could be storefront shops along Sheridan along the lines of Union Square in San Francisco.

3. Default Re: Okc Needs 600-800 Room High-rise Convention Hotel

I really like the idea of a 1000+ room hotel. Is that area on the south end of the Galleria slated for parking or is it open for development? That would be the perfect place for a major convention hotel. Having an Omni, Hyatt, or Adam's Mark would put more variety in our hotel market. Many Hyatt's have observation decks and the one in Nashville has a revolving restaurant.

Thread Information