Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brixton Square 8 Theatre

Default Movie theatres

Does anyone know of any neat movie theatres that are like a "best kept secret" A place that is small maybe old not really modern but still nice? I recall so many theatres from the past and I like the Warren Theatre and go to Northpark fairly often, but I am sure there must be some I haven't been to. They can be in areas around OKC.

Thank You
    JAQ

Default Re: Brixton Square 8 Theatre

I don't think there are any "best kept secret" theaters in the Oklahoma City area. If you drive out to some rural towns you can find a few charming small town movie theaters. Chickasha has a drive-in movie theater. Carnegie has a fairly decent theater. It's not top notch on the the technical end of things, but the manager there tries pretty hard to put on a good show. Cordell, Oklahoma (about an hour's drive west of OKC) has the Wa****a Theater which boasts a THX certified setup -yeah, a THX theater in a town of only 2000 people. Canadian, TX is an even smaller town (out in the TX panhandle); it's probably the smallest town in the world with a THX certified theater. And that one is about to get a 4K Sony SXRD digital projection system installed. I guess there's some oil money going into that establishment.

BobbyH mentioned the Chickasha Drive-in, one of the few remaining in Oklahoma. in need of less of a drive? Then the Winchester on South Western, just a hair or three north of I-240 is still operational. How nice it is all depends on the quality of your ride and your sound system, whether owned or borrowed for an eve. 6 per head, with three shows on FRI and Sat, two on the other evenings.

4. Default Re: Brixton Square 8 Theatre

Shawnee has a really cool historic downtown theatre with an awesome marquee and sign, the Hornbeck. It's a dollar theatre.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: Movie theatres

Quote Originally Posted by JAQ View Post
    Does anyone know of any neat movie theatres that are like a "best kept secret" A place that is small maybe old not really modern but still nice? I recall so many theatres from the past and I like the Warren Theatre and go to Northpark fairly often, but I am sure there must be some I haven't been to. They can be in areas around OKC.

Thank You
    JAQ
    sounds like youre really just looking for an older theater as the newer ones tend to draw the larger crowds.

i kinda miss the way classic theater rooms are designed, where you simply enter from the back and you instantly see chairs available.

All of todays theatres make you walk all the way down a corridor to the big screen then haul your way up a flight of stairs to get to seating.

Guess they did this to prevent couples who were notorious for making out in the far back seating row. No one wants to be seen by everyone when they are trying to have a special moment with their lover.

Doesn't seem to bother some of them, just one more reason almost all my movie watching is via HBO and DVD these days.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    No one wants to be seen by everyone when they are trying to have a special moment with their lover.
    This is a matter of dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    This is a matter of dispute.
    cool. maybe you should toss up a new thread and see what kinds of opinionated responses you can generate.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    sounds like youre really just looking for an older theater as the newer ones tend to draw the larger crowds.

i kinda miss the way classic theater rooms are designed, where you simply enter from the back and you instantly see chairs available.

All of todays theatres make you walk all the way down a corridor to the big screen then haul your way up a flight of stairs to get to seating.

Guess they did this to prevent couples who were notorious for making out in the far back seating row. No one wants to be seen by everyone when they are trying to have a special moment with their lover.

The "corridor" is to allow stadium seating. The types fo theatres you are thinking of, where you would enter in the back with all the seats in front of you, had only a small slope, if anything, raising a row above the row in front of it. If you were short or if someone tall or with a big hat sat in front of you, the screen would be blocked. Stadium seating is set up like, what else, stadiums. Each row is on its own tier raised above the rows in front of it.

Thread Information