From the scandals-twenty-years-ago-or-so department, Jerry Adams was a very popular local news anchor who bounced among, if memory serves, all three local network affiliates over time, but then became embroiled in a cocaine scandal that effectively ended his career (although I think by the time it broke he was already fading from the market).

One of the saddest things I remember is a former anchor at KWTV (and this was YEARS ago) named Ralph Combs. He was gone from the station, and I remember one time seeing him working at a novelty photo booth inside JCPenny's at Crossroads.

Many here probably are too young to know that Gary England, who was the grandfather of harum-scarum Fear the Weather meteorology, got started at radio station KTOK back in the 70s before his reign of terror on KWTV started. Amazingly, he's mellowed considerably over that time.

I remember several older anchors from WKY->KTVY->KFOR, notably Ernie Schutlz, George Tomek (who still does the occasional hearing aid spot these days)...Channel 5 decided to get out of the ratings basement by building a fancy set that literally resembled the bridge of the starship Enterprise with viewscreen and arced anchor desk, with anchors Dave Gilbert and Jane Jayroe. Jayroe left for a time, then moved to KFOR before finally retiring some years later. Gilbert was also teamed up with someone named Mary Ruth Carlton. I think she was romantically linked with Barry Switzer at one point...

Tons of sports anchors have rolled through...John Snyder was a very well-respected sports anchor at KWTV years ago...a weekend guy named Ken Broo was there for a while..along with a guy named Ted Lightner (sp)..and local pitchman Chris Needham worked there in sports as well....many here remember our mayor Mick Cornett's pre-toupee stint as a KOCO sports reporter/weekend anchor. Jerry Park was KOCO's main sports guy at the time....I also recall when Mike Treps did WKY sports, and he gave way to Bob Barry Senior..

KWTV used to have a morning show called The Early Beat with Lola Hall and Bill Hare, back when local TV was still heavily influenced by agricultural and stock reporting...Bill reported the "barrows and gilts" prices every morning, and sometimes Wayne Liles would sub for him. Lola was KWTV's "weather girl," and she moved to the "hostess" position on that show with Tom Mahoney as weatherman......Fred Norman was probably the most colorful, curmudgeonly weatherman in this market, on KOCO for a long time until he got a little too honest about the youth movement at the station which ultimately got him fired. Back when Jack Ogle was anchor, Jim Williams was WKY->KTVY->KFOR's weather man, and he's also local radio personality Danny Williams' brother....they used to have this completely dark/black set, with a spotllight only on the current segment's host. Little to no chitchat in those days.

Man, did I watch too much TV then or what...