Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Did you know that Ardmore, Ok was where the original "idea" and the actual "onion burger" originated??? Most people think El Reno but it was at that little cafe in Armore! At least I read that on the Internet, so I guess it's gospel....
    Surely there's someone out there who remembers the "Spanish Rest" - it was the roughest bar in south Okc. Dead end of Meridian at the river, had quite a few killings there and a boat load of stabbings! USG60 should remember it?

Spanish Rest was mythic, talked about in hushed tones. Some years after highschool I actually saw it for the first time and in daylight of all things. Naturally it tarnished the myth. But still it's name raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Surely there's someone out there who remembers the "Spanish Rest" - it was the roughest bar in south Okc. Dead end of Meridian at the river, had quite a few killings there and a boat load of stabbings! USG60 should remember it?
    Was it a smallish building on the north side of the street?

What about Fox and Horn on S. Western? anyone have any memories of this unique place? The building is still there it is a Dr's office now.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Was it a smallish building on the north side of the street?
    It's still there, 1-44 south to 149th and then west to Meridian. South on Meridian to the dead end. There is a house etc. but go in the drive and on the left is the "Spanish Rest." You can still read the faded painted name on the front of the building! Use to be the place NOT to go!! If I remember right, back in the late 50's maybe early 60's it had dirt floors, probably still does.

It's still there, 1-44 south to 149th and then west to Meridian. South on Meridian to the dead end. There is a house etc. but go in the drive and on the left is the "Spanish Rest." You can still read the faded painted name on the front of the building! Use to be the place NOT to go!! If I remember right, back in the late 50's maybe early 60's it had dirt floors, probably still does.
    I used to get custom made wooden propellers from a business in that area. I think it was called Aeroprop. Is it still there?

It was one of those places where when you entered they checked you to see if you were packin' a gun. If not they would lend you one.

Prunepicker Guest

Surely there's someone out there who remembers the "Spanish Rest"...
    Wasn't that a hang out for the 1% Outlaws? I'm thinking it was. I knew a
    few from that biker gang.

Don't ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Wasn't that a hang out for the 1% Outlaws? I'm thinking it was. I knew a
    few from that biker gang.

Don't ask...
    I'm askin'! Which club? Can send private if you'd like.

Thread Information