Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

It was interesting for me to watch it this year after participating in it last year. I thought everyone did a great job on their floats with a few exceptions. I don't think driving your radio station logo'd van in the middle of the parade qualifies as effort, but maybe that was just me. It looked like there were less skeletons this year to me, I haven't received the official count yet. I have pics and video I'll be putting up later this week also. I didn't like the route or how it just ended at 3rd street.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Sweetdaisy, did you hear us yelling like Banshees as your pet float came by ( we were right at the end in the bleachers)

The Alien in the first pic above was on stilts and towered over people.. hard to see from the pics.

Notice in the last pic the Giant Astronaut?
    Wayne Coyne was in the ball of course.

Yes, we do need to get the word out about this event.. it could be huge.
    Word was out last year on the event, the NY Times, Yahoo and tons of international papers picked it up last year.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...halloween.html

3. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

The crowd around Plaza Court in Midtown was fantastic . . . plenty of pre&post-parade celebrating at the area's restaurants. Our view form Cafe do Brazil's roof terrace was supurb . . . what a freak show. Many thanks to Bill Bleakley and the Gazette staff for all of their work on this important event.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

I was a flaming skeleton this year, and it was well worth being on my feet for six hours to be a part of the march. I wish I could have seen the rest of the parade, but I'm sure there will be enough youtube footage to satisfy me.

I must say, though, those of you who didn't go to the Gazette's afterparty missed out on quite a spectacle. The Toxic Goddess burlesque show at the IAO Gallery was excellent, despite some rather annoying technical difficulties. This was a full-on strip show, but it wasn't anything like spending a night our at the Playhouse. These girls were talented; one was a bellydancer, one was a singer, one did yoga poses on a bed of broken glass and escaped from a straightjacket... it was pretty awesome. I expected the "alternative models" to look like Suicide Girls, but they were much classier. I hope they got a good response... I could see this troupe getting their very own venue.

News OK video of the parade.

Some friends and I went to the parade. We all had a great time. Next year I want to be a skeleton. Thanks Old Downtown Guy for starting this thread, I wouldnt have thought of going otherwise. The press/media didnt do a very good job of advertising this event.

I thought the parade was terrific! Does anyone know the skeleton count? Did they make it to 1000?

8. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Many thanks to Dennis & Karrie for making the article I've just finished (pretty much so, anyway) possible: Doug Dawgz Blog: Halloween In OKC

I've added some history and perspective concerning risks to events such as Halloween ... a controversial item in some people's eyes.

Nice blog.

I think this parade was proof that the religious conservatives can't destroy Halloween.

I remember, as a kid, the First Baptist Church of Altus always had the best haunted house... now they have "Hell House" depicting a girl who had an abortion, a homosexual, and a "good" man that was never saved all burning in hell. At the end is a guy giving you the opportunity to be saved!

I tell you.... that was FAR more disturbing to the children than ghosts, witches, or vampires!

At some point in the 90s churches seemed to decide to shun Halloween for it pagan roots... wonder when they will acknowledge Christmas and Easter has have equal "pagan" roots.

Thread Information