Widgets Magazine

Thread: The value that we place on our newspeople

Default The value that we place on our newspeople

I find it funny that they can obtain celebrity status so easily. I could have gone into that line of work after graduation (I guess I still could). I anchored and reported for a couple years on the UCO news station. Was a decently fun job. It's just so funny having worked with several folks that are now reporters and anchors in news markets around the country to think that they are viewed by others as "celebrities".

The fact that some folks actually are interested in the personal lives of these folks just because they're on TV is truly beyond me. When I watch news, I'm interested in the content, not the person reading off of the teleprompter (unless they are just distractingly bad at it).

Does anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: The value that we place on our newspeople

I agree, I just can't fathom this excessive interest in a newspersons personal life. You want to check their education or career, great, that has a significant impact on how they do their job. Digging into their personal life is going too far.

3. Default Re: The value that we place on our newspeople

While I have no desire to hear about an anchors lawn needing watering, or their little rugrat's loaded diaper, there are areas of some of their personal lives I am quite interested in.

I would, however, rather read it in their bio, or when she and I are on a date.

Default Re: The value that we place on our newspeople

If you are actually dating someone, I can understand that. However, being interested in an individual solely because they're on the news? It's a job that takes just a lil bit of talent, and just a tad of practice. Having anchored, written stories, edited stories, and having helped put together newscasts, it's a technical job, but nothing spectacular. It's certainly not something that merits the adulation that some give.

I had my brush with it. People "recognized" me on the street, in stores, even 2 years after I graduated, I've had a person ask me where I went, tell me I was good, etc.. It's flattering, I can see how a newsperson might get a bit of a big head, but I just find it incredibly silly that people get so wrapped up in these personalities.

The men wear makeup for chrissake.

5. Default Re: The value that we place on our newspeople

Although I like reading about the private lives of some of the local celebrities, something occured this morning that I thought was a bit much.

I can see why Robin Marsh is proud of her five year old son, Cade. Any mom would be. Plus, he is a nice looking little boy. However, showing snap shots on the newscast? That is a bit much, Robin. I like seeing her, and she is the ONLY reason I watch KWTV in the morning (OK, I admit it. It is lust), however, when there is a three alarm fire working that I am listening to on my scanner, that is more inportant than showing pictures of Cade and his friends.

When the stage manager gives the cue to stretch, why not update that fire? Leave the pictures of Cade to a public blog. With it, you have my undivided attention. Of course, if I was buying you dinner, you would then too.

Thread Information