A friend invited us to a cafe in Capitol Hill. It used to be called Jaime's Grill on the Hill but is now Grill on the Hill. We've been there a few times now for lunch.

It is located at 324 SW 25th. It's on the south side of 25th just before Walker. There is parking on the street although usually we have to walk across.

I had not been in Capitol Hill for a long while. It is bustling at noon with all sorts of people on the street. We parked in front of what was the old John A Brown's building of my childhood. Just west of it is where I became lost as a very young child in Langston's once. Across the street west on the north side of 25th is where the old S S Kresge store still stands (I think it was Kresge). On the south side of 25th and west of Walker is the old Redskin Theater which is now the Oklahoma Opry.

Walking into the Grill on the Hill you know immediately what to do because the line is pretty long at noon. I am told it sometimes stretches out the door. There is no need for directions on how to order because it is apparent that you should join the queue.

The people are a mixture of men and women, work shirts and white shirts, uniforms and not. One time there were 2 tractors parked out front. I love that about Oklahoma City. I hope we never lose it.

It does not seem to be predominately Hispanic. This is not one of the many Mexican food places that are common in the area. One block east is a coney place that also had a line. We noticed it as we drove up Commerce.

On the walls are old photos and various other mementos. I noticed some old high school and college yearbooks. It is a large place with an entire section up a step or so on the east side of the kitchen area. Inside that area there are large wooden model airplane bodies of some kind that hang from the ceiling among other things.

The menu is on the wall left of the counter. One person was taking the orders and another was taking the money. It was pretty efficient. I think a lot of the diners need to get in and out.

I had the special which that day was three mini cheese burgers and fries and a soft drink. One burger would have been plenty for me. The fries were very good and hand cut. Another of our group had a double cheeseburger with hand cut onion rings and raved on and on about the rings. Still another had this Memphis Burger which was served open faced with a bunch of chili on it. Apparently you can get gravy instead of chili though.

It isn't health food here but it is really good, fresh food. It is not a chain place. It's quick and inexpensive and good. There were lots of people talking to each other in little groups. As people left or entered they stopped to talk to others who were still dining. It reminded me of the old lunch places and times of my youth and young adulthood. Lots of personal interaction.

It is an old building but the owners are fixing the place up. I gather there are constraints on what can be done to the exterior as there is now an association and rules and so on.

You give your name when you order and then get a Styrofoam cup for your drink which you get yourself from the fountain appliance just next to the register. I had Barq's root beer. The forks and spoons and knives are next to that along with some other stuff. Then you sit down. When your food is ready then a waitress brings it over to you. She was nice and treated us like actual humans, too.

I just checked and found a good review on eataround.

If you're interested in Oklahoma City history and hunting a place for lunch then Grill on the Hill is definitely worth the little trip to Capitol Hill.