Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sonics owners push tax rebates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sonics owners push tax rebates

I'll disagree with you on that one Kerry. Bottom line to me is a five year 1 cent tax is voted on yes/no with the express inclusion of an ending date. From the moment of the yes vote, the expiration date is known for when the increased penny will cease to be.

The recent vote, to begin upon the already agreed expiration and automatic reduction of the existing tax base, is in fact an increase from the planned drop back to today's level, again for a time certain.

It's a word game used to pass it the first time, and then thereafter, to apply it to other purposes, all the time saying no increase. Yet, it is an increase since you are asking folks to vote away a time stamped reduction of today's tax rate.

To be a true no increase, the original tax vote should be based on yes/no for a penny, the first five years to be devoted to X, and then expires ONLY IF the public does not vote yes to dedicate it to some other purpose. Then of course, you lose the bennie of the temporary increase. How many 5 year periods have the good citizens now agreed to, and how many more will they for the 'temporary' five year tax.

I'm not opposed to the FC vote, and if I were in the area as a voter, I would have voted for it. Hang the NBA, it's good for the arena and thus OKC as a whole.

But the whole let's make our temp tax extend out for a new purpose and do away from the planned reduction and claim wiping out a planned for, voted in reduction in the tax base is the same as having no increase, that's the word game if ever there was one, at least from where I sit. To hold otherwise is to say the tax was never meant to be temporary, only its purpose was.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 04-18-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typos galore

wow, we don't even have the team, and bennett is already making demands. what's crazy is that most of our legislators are bending over backwards to give him whatever he wants. clay bennett will screw us to make (or keep from losing) money, just like he's doing to seattle. business is business, he doesn't care what state he's in.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by donuteyes View Post
    wow, we don't even have the team, and bennett is already making demands. what's crazy is that most of our legislators are bending over backwards to give him whatever he wants. clay bennett will screw us to make (or keep from losing) money, just like he's doing to seattle. business is business, he doesn't care what state he's in.

Donuteyes, would you mind telling me just exactly how Clay Bennett is going to screw you and how he's screwing Seattle?

4. Default Re: Sonics owners push tax rebates

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideSooner View Post
    Donuteyes, would you mind telling me just exactly how Clay Bennett is going to screw you and how he's screwing Seattle?
    yeah, that's what i'm wondering. he's not assured of making money in the long run... okc is a largely unproven market.

can you believe this guy... bringing the NBA to town... why is he screwing us over like that!!
    hah!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I'll disagree with you on that one Kerry. Bottom line to me is a five year 1 cent tax is voted on yes/no with the express inclusion of an ending date. From the moment of the yes vote, the expiration date is known for when the increased penny will cease to be.

The recent vote, to begin upon the already agreed expiration and automatic reduction of the existing tax base, is in fact an increase from the planned drop back to today's level, again for a time certain.

It's a word game used to pass it the first time, and then thereafter, to apply it to other purposes, all the time saying no increase. Yet, it is an increase since you are asking folks to vote away a time stamped reduction of today's tax rate.

To be a true no increase, the original tax vote should be based on yes/no for a penny, the first five years to be devoted to X, and then expires ONLY IF the public does not vote yes to dedicate it to some other purpose. Then of course, you lose the bennie of the temporary increase. How many 5 year periods have the good citizens now agreed to, and how many more will they for the 'temporary' five year tax.

I'm not opposed to the FC vote, and if I were in the area as a voter, I would have voted for it. Hang the NBA, it's good for the arena and thus OKC as a whole.

But the whole let's make our temp tax extend out for a new purpose and do away from the planned reduction and claim wiping out a planned for, voted in reduction in the tax base is the same as having no increase, that's the word game if ever there was one, at least from where I sit. To hold otherwise is to say the tax was never meant to be temporary, only its purpose was.
    True. And very well said. Semantics in its truest definition.

Thread Information