Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

I like the little spaceman logo. That should honestly be the primary, or at least the logo on the caps.

The comet flying around the bat logo weirdly reminds me of the Columbus Blue Jackets. How about that for an obscure reference?

2. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I didn’t hate it near as much after I heard about the Mickey Mantle connection but it’s just a really generic name and I think everyone was hoping for something more unique to OKC or Oklahoma than a reference to one baseball player’s nickname (one of the greatest players of all time…but still).
    I wasn’t defending the selection (though I do like it) so much as pushing back on another poster’s assertion that connecting it to Mickey Mantle’s legacy here was a stretch. That’s a patently and demonstrably untrue statement.

You can start with the statue out front, the design and installation of which was approved by the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    The LA Dodgers took the name back. OKC had no choice, and no chance to retain it.
    and they really didn't want to ... they had to get approval from on high every time the wanted to use the Dodgers name in promotions and promotional material ..

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I like it, personally. Leaning into Mickey Mantle’s legacy isn’t new for this organization. The stadium is on Mickey Mantle Drive. Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse is across the street; Mantle’s family is in the ownership group. There’s a Mickey Mantle statue at the third base entry (the main game-day entry on Mickey Mantle Drive). The statue was dedicated by Mantle family members and many of Mantle’s Yankees teammates. For anyone who’s actually been inside the stadium, you may have noticed that a Mickey Mantle pic graces the end panel on every row of seating. The new name is just a continuation of a 25+ year tip of the cap to one of the greatest baseball players of all time.
    Thanks for this, I didn't realize there was so much paying tribute to Mantle already. I've only been to the stadium once.

Not crazy about the name, but also don't care that much about the name.

The name is underwhelming. Feels like a high school mascot (probably because my high school played the Dickson Comets). The aerospace stuff seems like an afterthought--they picked comets and then needed to justify it more than just Mickey Mantle's nickname. Definitely feels like a miss not to pick something more fun and didn't need to be explained. Like a halloween costume: if you have to explain it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I like the little spaceman logo. That should honestly be the primary, or at least the logo on the caps.

The comet flying around the bat logo weirdly reminds me of the Columbus Blue Jackets. How about that for an obscure reference?
    yea, that actually is tough as hell. even if it has nothing to do with OKC.

https://milbstore.com/products/okc-c...AaAlMhEALw_wcB

This is their fourth team name in the last 11 years.

They're making it really easy for people to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    This is their fourth team name in the last 11 years.

They're making it really easy for people to not care.
    lol it is minor league baseball ... that has no impact ...

I get the Mickey Mantel connection, but not the aerospace connection. A comet is more astronomy then aerospace related.

They share a name with the worlds first commercial jet airliner which crashed a lot. Probably not the connection they want people making.

They could create a Bill Haley character to front the marketing, etc. Kind of a blend of Harry Caray and the fictional team manager.

11. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Is this seriously going to be the new mascot? I like it! Reminds me of the Major League Movie ball!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKCCometsMen_sMascotTee-gray_1000x.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	19245

Thread Information