Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I don't mind the name and the homage to Mickey Mantle, although Commerce is way the heck up in the NE corner of the state, not close to OKC at all, so it's a bit of a stretch, although so much of the stadium and the surroundings refer to Mickey Mantle, so I understand, but as the city continues to come into its own, I would have loved to see something more LOCAL as the reference point for the nickname. However, it's the logo/branding that I really don't like.

Baseball is a sport so steeped in history, I would have liked to see something with a more classic, maybe even vintage look used more (like what's on this tee https://tinyurl.com/Vintage-Wordmark), but I won't wear the primary hat--it's lame.

I love the Baseball Club OKC logo from last season (had a great 70s/80s vibe to it), the Dodger's simple Brooklyn-esque "OKC "logo, and even the last Redhawks interlocking OKC logo--they were ALL better than this Comets logo. Have you seen the primary one for the hat?--just bad. I think the cartoon spaceman hat will probably sell the best of all of the designs. I like this secondary logo the best https://tinyurl.com/OKC-Secondary-Logo

I just feel overall pretty disappointed because I love to rep my city when I am traveling, and I will just keep wearing my Dodgers OKC logo hat if I am not rocking a Thunder hat. Bummer.
    I doubt the spaceman will sell the best of the designs, people are going to think it is a spaceman that has nothing to do with baseball unless they look closely at the hat

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Aviators LMAO
    it's a lot better than Comets. they're going to struggle to sell any meaningful amount of merch with that name, logo, etc.

they must have used the same folks they Thunder used back in 2008.

i'm glad at least one person likes it, though.

OKC Comets sounds like a women's roller derby team.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    it's a lot better than Comets. they're going to struggle to sell any meaningful amount of merch with that name, logo, etc.

they must have used the same folks they Thunder used back in 2008.

i'm glad at least one person likes it, though.
    Aviators has been the Las Vegas PCL team name since 2019. When the name was unveiled, the locals complained (more than this board is currently) about how horrible it was and they wanted to keep the 51s name the team had used since 2000.

The LA Dodgers took the name back. OKC had no choice, and no chance to retain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Aviators has been the Las Vegas PCL team name since 2019. When the name was unveiled, the locals complained (more than this board is currently) about how horrible it was and they wanted to keep the 51s name the team had used since 2000.
    Las Vegas 51s does not even sound right, Aviators are much better

The Phillie Phanatic
    The Phillie Phanatic is the official mascot for the Philadelphia Phillies Major League Baseball team. He is a large, furry, green flightless bird with an extendable tongue.
    REALLY?? And people are upset about the Comets?!! LOL Get over it!

Blog Entries

Bricktown3 Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

We're going to support the Oklahoma City Comets as we have supported all the sports teams representing our city. Sure many of you would be disappointed, there were so many name choices that could have branded our AAA team with a rising challenge.

Los Angeles Dodger organization chose to relocate their top farm team from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City--that to me says a lot.

Go Oklahoma City Comets!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    The Phillie Phanatic
    The Phillie Phanatic is the official mascot for the Philadelphia Phillies Major League Baseball team. He is a large, furry, green flightless bird with an extendable tongue.
    REALLY?? And people are upset about the Comets?!! LOL Get over it!
    LOL. We don’t need to base our opinion on the stupid decisions of another cities’ team on the other side of the country. It’s a stupid name and the Phillies have a stupid mascot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    LOL. We don’t need to base our opinion on the stupid decisions of another cities’ team on the other side of the country. It’s a stupid name and the Phillies have a stupid mascot.
    He's no Gritty.

Actually the Phanantic is awesome and so is Gritty, Philly does it right. 76ers, Flyers, Phillies and the Eagles

Exactly this ^^^^^^ I think the comets will resonate with the youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    He's no Gritty.

Actually the Phanantic is awesome and so is Gritty, Philly does it right. 76ers, Flyers, Phillies and the Eagles
    The mascot looks like it is from Sesame Street

13. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    The mascot looks like it is from Sesame Street
    Philadelphia does have a Sesame Place theme park, so it fits.

Am I in the minority here? Maybe 89's was before my time but I loved Redhawks. And Comets isn't that bad.

Comets isn't bad, it's just...generic. Like the default name of an expansion team in a video game or something. Aviators, Flycatchers, even the Cielo Azul would all be much better and have some sort of tie to the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieMeat View Post
    Philadelphia does have a Sesame Place theme park, so it fits.
    That makes sense

17. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Comets is OK. At least we're not the Chihuahuas, Mud Hens, Jumbo Shrimp, Rubber Ducks, Yard Goats, etc. Minor league baseball has some really bad nicknames.

Thread Information