Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Called it LOL.
    And here I thought lightning was bad. Twisters the tornadoes the hailers. Comets? Why can't it just be the dodgers?

Comets is like a name for a women's team like the WNBA Houston Comets, that is just very disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The OKC Comets LOLOL. WTF does that have to do with OKC?

Edit: Apparently it’s a reference to Mickey Mantle. Still dumb
    Lol, so terrible. They should just change it back to the OKC Baseball Club.

Huge marketing failure and just a bush league name in general.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Lol, so terrible. They should just change it back to the OKC Baseball Club.
    Agree and the “Baseball Club” was stupid too. Just much less so.

Taken from a newsok article;
    On Saturday, the Triple-A baseball team was officially renamed the Oklahoma City Comets, an homage to Mickey Mantle’s nickname “The Commerce Comet” and a symbol of looking to the future with the growth of the aerospace industry in the city.

Not bad. People don’t like change. But this will age okay.

What an utter, epic, fail. Totally stupid. And I know, nobody cares what I think. But geez.

Exactly Dob! People on here are so self-righteous. It’s a cool name paying homage to Mickey Mantle and OKC’s aerospace industry.

“…and a symbol of looking to the future with the growth of the aerospace industry in the city.”

What a massive reach lol. That’d be like if the name was the Brontosaurus and they said it was to pay homage to OKC’s rich oil history.

Gotta love all the stupid negativity. It’s not reach at all. I have no doubt people will support the team as much as they did before.

I guess now they need to go back to being the Astros AAA affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Gotta love all the stupid negativity. It’s not reach at all. I have no doubt people will support the team as much as they did before.
    It’s not an insane stretch but it feels contrived. The main connection is you see comets in the sky and the aerospace industry allows humans to fly through the sky. If they really wanted to honor the aerospace industry, they should’ve went with the Widowmakers or Flying Prostitutes.

13. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

I like it, personally. Leaning into Mickey Mantle’s legacy isn’t new for this organization. The stadium is on Mickey Mantle Drive. Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse is across the street; Mantle’s family is in the ownership group. There’s a Mickey Mantle statue at the third base entry (the main game-day entry on Mickey Mantle Drive). The statue was dedicated by Mantle family members and many of Mantle’s Yankees teammates. For anyone who’s actually been inside the stadium, you may have noticed that a Mickey Mantle pic graces the end panel on every row of seating. The new name is just a continuation of a 25+ year tip of the cap to one of the greatest baseball players of all time.

Not to mention Oklahoma City is home to Tinker Air Force Military base.

A wonderful homage to the Burns Flat space port.

It sounds like the name of a crappy roller coaster at the state fair or someone’s dog.

Exactly Dob! People on here are so self-righteous. It’s a cool name paying homage to Mickey Mantle and OKC’s aerospace industry.
    Not Self righteous…it’s just a really stupid name when it’s a stretch at best to be related to OKC or Oklahoma

What a stupid, stupid name. I can’t decide if I hate this WNBA name or the Thunder name more. Good lord.

Kinda like the Utah Jazz or the LA Lakers or plenty of other nicknames that have absolutely nothing to do with the city they are in. Seattle Kraken?

Should they have just left it Dodgers? Probably. But nicknames don't really have to be related to the city they are in.

And Thunder fits the city and state perfectly.

I know I complain at times on here, as well. So maybe it is just the vocal negative minority that just like to complain who are the most active on these things.

It is what it is, but I wish teams like this would test market or do a wider survey of suggested team names. As someone pointed out, give the community the top three options and do an interactive vote with your fan base.

The general comments on here as well as on the team's facebook page towards the new name seem to be mixed feelings of disappointment and confusion of ties to Oklahoma City.

As someone pointed out, Comet's makes you think that the Astro's are the affiliate and the team would be located somewhere like Huntsville, Alabama (Space Camp) or even Hutchison, Kansas (Cosmosphere). Sugar Land has the Space Cowboys, and that seems to make more sense for an OKC branded team.

Savanah Banana's to the Wichita Wingnuts, these teams at least have great alliteration and the fun that comes with minor league baseball, and the firm that did this, has a solid track record of fun and unique names: https://www.studiosimon.net/minor-league-team-id

At this point the OKC Cornett's make more sense to me, but Comet's it is.

One thing I always appreciated about the OKC Dodger's was that you could get "Dodgers" merchandise intended for LA at almost any sporting good store or easily online, but it would work for OKC, as Los Angeles was rarely used in the MLB Team's logos or branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    It’s not an insane stretch but it feels contrived. The main connection is you see comets in the sky and the aerospace industry allows humans to fly through the sky. If they really wanted to honor the aerospace industry, they should’ve went with the Widowmakers or Flying Prostitutes.
    OKC Aviators would have made 10x more sense if they were trying to make the connection to the aerospace industry

Aviators LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    It is what it is, but I wish teams like this would test market or do a wider survey of suggested team names. As someone pointed out, give the community the top three options and do an interactive vote with your fan base.

The general comments on here as well as on the team's facebook page towards the new name seem to be mixed feelings of disappointment and confusion of ties to Oklahoma City.

As someone pointed out, Comet's makes you think that the Astro's are the affiliate and the team would be located somewhere like Huntsville, Alabama (Space Camp) or even Hutchison, Kansas (Cosmosphere). Sugar Land has the Space Cowboys, and that seems to make more sense for an OKC branded team.

Savanah Banana's to the Wichita Wingnuts, these teams at least have great alliteration and the fun that comes with minor league baseball, and the firm that did this, has a solid track record of fun and unique names: https://www.studiosimon.net/minor-league-team-id

At this point the OKC Cornett's make more sense to me, but Comet's it is.

One thing I always appreciated about the OKC Dodger's was that you could get "Dodgers" merchandise intended for LA at almost any sporting good store or easily online, but it would work for OKC, as Los Angeles was rarely used in the MLB Team's logos or branding.
    the city essentially did pick the name for the Thunder. The Oklahoman had a 64 name bracket at thunder was the winner. Not sure if they used that to make the decision but I’m sure it influenced it.

You are the only one in the world who thinks "Comets" is a cool name

25. Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

I don't mind the name and the homage to Mickey Mantle, although Commerce is way the heck up in the NE corner of the state, not close to OKC at all, so it's a bit of a stretch, although so much of the stadium and the surroundings refer to Mickey Mantle, so I understand, but as the city continues to come into its own, I would have loved to see something more LOCAL as the reference point for the nickname. However, it's the logo/branding that I really don't like.

Baseball is a sport so steeped in history, I would have liked to see something with a more classic, maybe even vintage look used more (like what's on this tee https://tinyurl.com/Vintage-Wordmark), but this is the only place I see this logo in the entire store. Although the "S" on the end of Comets look too far away from the rest of the word and the tiny trademark "TM" makes the "S" look like a snake. Anyway, this is still my favorite wordmark that I have seen in the logo set.

I love the Baseball Club OKC logo from last season (had a great 70s/80s vibe to it), the Dodger's simple Brooklyn-esque "OKC "logo, and even the last Redhawks interlocking OKC logo--they were ALL better than this Comets logo. Have you seen the primary one for the hat?--just bad. I think the cartoon spaceman hat will probably sell the best of all of the designs. I like this secondary logo the best https://tinyurl.com/OKC-Secondary-Logo

I just feel overall pretty disappointed because I love to rep my city when I am traveling, and I will just keep wearing my Dodgers OKC logo hat if I am not rocking a Thunder hat. Bummer.

Thread Information