Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Default Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    if fund raising for the football renovation wasn't a problem it would have been finished about 5 years ago ..

and the football facility is not scraped ..
    Joe C. has essentially stated that, at this point in time, it doesn’t make sense to allocate $175 million to a single facility aimed at attracting football recruits, especially when there’s a new and growing budget line item of $20 million annually for direct compensation, which is more desired by the athletes.

I would be very surprised if we don’t hear an announcement about stadium renovations within the next 2-3 years.

2. Default Re: Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

What facilities are people saying aren't getting funded? We already know about the 3rd indoor practice facility. They have a whole new locker room/office/etc space. I mean what else are they needing?

The stadium plans are already in motion too. It'll be interesting to see how they rip out that upper deck and the press box with the parking garage/etc all so close. That'll be a 2-3 year project like the other side was. And no, they wont have any problems selling out those suites that they're going to create. I believe they said it would reduce capacity also wouldn't it? Back to more like 80k instead of 85k. It will be nice to have the two sides match though. Feel a little less like this was slapped on this side, then this was slapped on that side. If they ever decide to be absolutely insane, then they could upper deck the north endzone and "connect" to the two matching sides. But that would push it back up to the 100k+ mark and i dont think we really can support that. Especially not if they dont do something to get back in that top 10 regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    What facilities are people saying aren't getting funded? We already know about the 3rd indoor practice facility. They have a whole new locker room/office/etc space. I mean what else are they needing?

The stadium plans are already in motion too. It'll be interesting to see how they rip out that upper deck and the press box with the parking garage/etc all so close. That'll be a 2-3 year project like the other side was. And no, they wont have any problems selling out those suites that they're going to create. I believe they said it would reduce capacity also wouldn't it? Back to more like 80k instead of 85k. It will be nice to have the two sides match though. Feel a little less like this was slapped on this side, then this was slapped on that side. If they ever decide to be absolutely insane, then they could upper deck the north endzone and "connect" to the two matching sides. But that would push it back up to the 100k+ mark and i dont think we really can support that. Especially not if they dont do something to get back in that top 10 regularly.
    The west deck plan is ingenious. It basically takes the existing shell and extends it, reconfigures another portion of it to create an additional deck, but does it all in one off season. I remember a discussion about that very things when the master plan came out many moons ago.

I personally don't think they'll ever bowl in the upper decks with a double north endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

capacity is already back to 80k it is the smallest currently as any time since 2003

capacity is already back to 80k it is the smallest currently as any time since 2003
    Per OU, the published capacity of GFOMS is 83,489. I think they sell "SRO passes" to the clubs and thus often report attendance well above that number.

They *purposely* reduced capacity for recent ADA compliance modifications *and* because the nationwide trend for attendance at college football is *down*. That's another reason why I don't think you'll see a 5K capacity increase with a north upper deck. The "sellout streak" at OU has been fiction for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Per OU, the published capacity of GFOMS is 83,489. I think they sell "SRO passes" to the clubs and thus often report attendance well above that number.

They *purposely* reduced capacity for recent ADA compliance modifications *and* because the nationwide trend for attendance at college football is *down*. That's another reason why I don't think you'll see a 5K capacity increase with a north upper deck. The "sellout streak" at OU has been fiction for a long time.
    nope that was 2016 it is now 80,126 (and yes with SRO they do go above that number)

here is the link ..

https://soonersports.com/sports/2019/8/14/208803880

the capacity if they do the west deck as proposed will drop officially below 80k

Agree. Always confused me when I see people online saying they should expand capacity.

Blog Entries

Sellout is not fiction. Maybe not every ticket sold had a butt in a seat though…. Just like every school and professional sports team reports their numbers.

nope that was 2016 it is now 80,126 (and yes with SRO they do go above that number)

here is the link ..

https://soonersports.com/sports/2019/8/14/208803880

the capacity if they do the west deck as proposed will drop officially below 80k
    My ideal scenario is either complete the upper deck around the entire stadium or just the south end zone for now and convert all the seats to chair backs. Keep the capacity between 80k-90k but make it a hell of a lot more comfortable.

That's completely unnecessary but would be nice lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sellout is not fiction. Maybe not every ticket sold had a butt in a seat though…. Just like every school and professional sports team reports their numbers.
    It is a fiction. They have corporate sponsors lined up to buy any unsold tickets within a certain window and they get to do what they want with them.

One sponsor just lets the university give the tickets away, others give them to customers, some just eat them.

Been that way for over 20 years. I got two free one game in 03 via that first route. I wanted two tickets, and guy with an OU credential carrying a glassine holding a thick stack of tickets asked me how many I wanted, told him 2, and he handed me a pair. I asked how much, and he said "these are free."

Like I said, it's been a fiction for years, but it makes great ad copy. Last I saw, they still stated there were 500 Tix left for Maine. The way things are going this season, I doubt people will be lining up for that one.

It is a fiction. They have corporate sponsors lined up to buy any unsold tickets within a certain window and they get to do what they want with them.

One sponsor just lets the university give the tickets away, others give them to customers, some just eat them.

Been that way for over 20 years. I got two free one game in 03 via that first route. I wanted two tickets, and guy with an OU credential carrying a glassine holding a thick stack of tickets asked me how many I wanted, told him 2, and he handed me a pair. I asked how much, and he said "these are free."

Like I said, it's been a fiction for years, but it makes great ad copy. Last I saw, they still stated there were 500 Tix left for Maine. The way things are going this season, I doubt people will be lining up for that one.
    again not fiction .. maybe you missed the point of "corporate sponsors lined up to buy any unsold tickets"

that is the same everywhere (that has good enough sponsor support)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    My ideal scenario is either complete the upper deck around the entire stadium or just the south end zone for now and convert all the seats to chair backs. Keep the capacity between 80k-90k but make it a hell of a lot more comfortable.

That's completely unnecessary but would be nice lol.
    i think in an ideal world the solution is to add a small upper deck on the north end .. while adding loge boxes and suites .... (after they redo the west side) and keep official capacity around 85k .. (which would put us close to 90k in big games)

Thread Information