Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Britton District

Default Re: Britton District

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    ^^^
    But you need a roof over your head, right? Running an apartment comes with its own costs, and those costs will inevitably be passed on to the tenants. The owners, of course, need to make an attractive profit to justify all the hassle, so more money paid from tenants. Your house appreciates in value over time, but renting gives you nothing in return.
    Again, it's a choice. Some people may want that, some may want the assurance that comes with an apartment or rental that, if something goes wrong, it's covered. And if it isn't fixed timely, there are remedies for that (depending on the contract). Plus, if it isn't fixed properly, as a homeowner, you still are on the hook, but not if you rent.

It's a give and take, for sure.

And most home appreciation in value, when you take it over that amount of time, and compare it with maintenance costs on your home, it rarely works out as a major positive for the homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Man, this area is ripe for mixed-use housing developments. These restaurants need residents nearby. That's why Portland, OR has so many thriving food districts (Alberta, Division, Burnside, 23rd st., etc). They have 4-5 story developments all along these areas above the restaurants.

I love that this district is walkable, but it needs apartments right in the middle of it.
    This area is dense. Thousands live within 1 mile. I live within 1.5 miles. An old fashioned small town that the big city grew around. I don't think there is any way 4-5 story apartments in the area pencil out.

3. Default Re: Britton District

Why wouldn’t it pencil? There are examples all over the country of historic commercial districts in inner-ring suburbs seeing substantial residential infill. Plenty of folks would love to live near walkable amenities that aren’t necessarily in downtown proper.

If OKC truly leaned into densification in and around historic commercial areas with preexisting baseline density it would solidify the tax base, allow City services to exist within an easier-to-deliver scale, leverage existing civil infrastructure, and drive better transit. These things all bring advantage to taxpayers across the entire city. This includes benefiting the ones who prefer to live elsewhere in low-density suburban, exurban and even rural areas within the city limits.

The housing to the east of Western and north and south of this district is really rough.

In fact, there are still some dirt roads in the neighborhood to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    Apartments are nice when you are just starting out in life, but why not own your own home? That used to be a goal of a majority of people, home ownership. Is that not the case anymore? All I really see on this site is a push for more high density apartments.
    I owned a home and it came with a ton of hassle that I didn't want. I've been renting for the last 20 years and plan to for the rest of my life. There are a ton of advantages, including flexibility with moving, no hassle regarding up keep, great location (more apartments are in dense, walkable spaces), etc. I absolutely love the place we've been in for the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I owned a home and it came with a ton of hassle that I didn't want. I've been renting for the last 20 years and plan to for the rest of my life. There are a ton of advantages, including flexibility with moving, no hassle regarding up keep, great location (more apartments are in dense, walkable spaces), etc. I absolutely love the place we've been in for the last decade.
    Im starting to agree. The main caveat is you still need to be saving and investing in order to not end up broke and old. I've been putting money towards my retirement accounts instead of towards a down payment.

Especially since I am still trying to figure out if OKC is where I want to settle down. But i do like this area. Even if its a little run down rn it will certainly improve over the next 15 years as more people say no to long commutes and chose to live closer to downtown.

Higher density and more apartments in a city is what we like to call "good."

8. Default Re: Britton District

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I lived in apartments starting in college until my mid 30’s. I loved it, but it did get old having people stomp on your roof or always walking upstairs (bad knees) or loud sounds at all hours of the night. I do miss not worrying about repairs and especially the lawn work. But I love having an entire building to myself (well, the family) and having a garage for our cars. Plus, my house counts as an additional retirement account.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have choices, but it’s just odd that 99% of the participants on this site (ok, maybe not that high, but it sure seems like it) are for high-density apartments (and against cars). I could be wrong, but I would think the “real world” is closer to a 50/50 split (unless times have changed that much in this regard). It is fascinating (and educational) to hear all the other points (sides), though.

I lived in apartments starting in college until my mid 30’s. I loved it, but it did get old having people stomp on your roof or always walking upstairs (bad knees) or loud sounds at all hours of the night. I do miss not worrying about repairs and especially the lawn work. But I love having an entire building to myself (well, the family) and having a garage for our cars. Plus, my house counts as an additional retirement account.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have choices, but it’s just odd that 99% of the participants on this site (ok, maybe not that high, but it sure seems like it) are for high-density apartments (and against cars). I could be wrong, but I would think the “real world” is closer to a 50/50 split (unless times have changed that much in this regard). It is fascinating (and educational) to hear all the other points (sides), though.
    Again, you're conflating OKCTalk with OKC as a whole. OKC as a whole disagrees with this forum, hence all the sprawl and subdivisions being built out near Piedmont and Mustang or Edmond, and apartment developments being at a premium.

10. Default Re: Britton District

Again, it's a choice. Some people may want that, some may want the assurance that comes with an apartment or rental that, if something goes wrong, it's covered. And if it isn't fixed timely, there are remedies for that (depending on the contract). Plus, if it isn't fixed properly, as a homeowner, you still are on the hook, but not if you rent.

It's a give and take, for sure.

And most home appreciation in value, when you take it over that amount of time, and compare it with maintenance costs on your home, it rarely works out as a major positive for the homeowner.
    Agree with this, plus it's risk management.

I rent my house in El Reno. The risk of major repairs has been shifted from me to the landlord. My rent hasn't increased in ten years, even with a landlord change, partly because I do take care of the minor preventative maintenance. Prior to renting this house, I owned my house and learned the joys and perils.

That said, I also own rental property in Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Why wouldn’t it pencil? There are examples all over the country of historic commercial districts in inner-ring suburbs seeing substantial residential infill. Plenty of folks would love to live near walkable amenities that aren’t necessarily in downtown proper.

If OKC truly leaned into densification in and around historic commercial areas with preexisting baseline density it would solidify the tax base, allow City services to exist within an easier-to-deliver scale, leverage existing civil infrastructure, and drive better transit. These things all bring advantage to taxpayers across the entire city. This includes benefiting the ones who prefer to live elsewhere in low-density suburban, exurban and even rural areas within the city limits.
    I was figuring the 4 and 5 story apartments in town being build nowadays are like The Canton, or Chisolm Creek. Bunch of units in a purpose build area. Looking at Pete's drone shots from upthread, I can't find space and an attractive location.

IF - and big if - the RTA ever gets commuter rail up and running, this area would be perfect for a stop if it isn't already templated. That would change the analysis of suitability for density in this area immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    IF - and big if - the RTA ever gets commuter rail up and running, this area would be perfect for a stop if it isn't already templated. That would change the analysis of suitability for density in this area immensely.
    Im pretty sure the proposed stops are at NW 63rd and the JKT (park and ride). However, there is the 018 and the 003 bus routes which could be reconfigured to connect to these stations. Also the planned bike lanes on Classen Blvd could allow for ebike users to get to the station in minutes.

14. Default Re: Britton District

Again, you're conflating OKCTalk with OKC as a whole. OKC as a whole disagrees with this forum, hence all the sprawl and subdivisions being built out near Piedmont and Mustang or Edmond, and apartment developments being at a premium.
    Nah... just surprised at the concentration in OKCTalk vs the city as a whole. I guess I just wrongfully assumed a little more even distribution here. This site is a primary example of how polls (or stats) can be very misleading.

15. Default Re: Britton District

Apartments are nice when you are just starting out in life, but why not own your own home? That used to be a goal of a majority of people, home ownership. Is that not the case anymore? All I really see on this site is a push for more high density apartments.
    apartments don't always mean rentals, they can be owned. when we say 'apartments', we mean high density/multifamily structures whether they're leased or owned.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Buying on the principal of appreciation requires you buy in the right area.

Just like buying GM stock in 1990 seemed like a good idea, turns out it hasn't kept up at all with many other equities. If you don't choose the right area, probably better to rent until you find it. And to find it, you probably need to do a lot of research.

17. Default Re: Britton District

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    apartments don't always mean rentals, they can be owned. when we say 'apartments', we mean high density/multifamily structures whether they're leased or owned.
    I didn't know people owned their individual apartments (never seen that before). What's the difference between those and condos?

18. Default Re: Britton District

I didn't know people owned their individual apartments (never seen that before). What's the difference between those and condos?
    It is technically a condo, but a good example of Condos that feel like Apartments is Sycamore Square. They are still owned and all owners work like an HOA. Right next door is The Haven which use to be the other half of Sycamore Square. The Haven is all apartments run by Greystar. Each side has the same layout. Three stories with a pool and workout facility in the middle.

19. Default Re: Britton District

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    It is technically a condo, but a good example of Condos that feel like Apartments is Sycamore Square. They are still owned and all owners work like an HOA. Right next door is The Haven which use to be the other half of Sycamore Square. The Haven is all apartments run by Greystar. Each side has the same layout. Three stories with a pool and workout facility in the middle.
    Ok, thanks. I know condos... just never heard of calling them apartments.

Is road construction done in this area? Anyone have any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    Is road construction done in this area? Anyone have any photos?
    Not quite done but getting close:

22. Default Re: Britton District

Ok, thanks. I know condos... just never heard of calling them apartments.
    It's kind of an east coast thing as well. Whether owned or leased, if it's multi-family, structured then it's an apartment. Think in NYC, even in the likes of Trump Tower they are apartments even though theyre owned. Condo and distinguishing condo-owned vs. apartment-leased is more of a West/West Coast thing if I had to guess.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information