Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: OU Football 2024 Season

Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Littrell just got the axe (and deservedly so at this point). JJF elevated to OC and Kevin Johns from staff to QB Coach. I have a difficult time seeing how this will make any difference at this point with the current personnel and the fact that those guys are the only others on staff they can turn to but we entered "I couldn't be any worse" territory on Saturday. What an absolute dumpster fire.

For reference: SC scored 27 points off turnovers + the failed fake punt on our own 30 yard line. On normal drives that started with a punt or a kickoff, SC scored 8 points. That is just insane. We almost would've been better off taking 3 knees, running the clock and punting every time we had the ball.
    I feel bad for Seth but it needed to happen but Seth will always be a Sooner! If the offensive line continues to play like **** then Bill needs to be gone next

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I feel bad for Seth but it needed to happen but Seth will always be a Sooner! If the offensive line continues to play like **** then Bill needs to be gone next
    Bill may have saved his job with his current recruiting class. It’s maybe the best o-line class OU has ever had. If Bendenbaugh leaves then those guys leave too. Otherwise, he’d be gone for sure with this line.

Agree on Seth. He was one of my favorite players on the 2000 team and think that under different circumstances he might have worked out but he just wasnt going to be the one to fix this dumpster fire.

Disagree on Bill for now as long as he closes the recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    For reference: SC scored 27 points off turnovers + the failed fake punt on our own 30 yard line. On normal drives that started with a punt or a kickoff, SC scored 8 points. That is just insane. We almost would've been better off taking 3 knees, running the clock and punting every time we had the ball.
    Similar story with Tennessee- take away the turnovers and you have a close game. OU led Texas 3-0 at the beginning of the 2Q then bam two straight turnovers and with it all the momentum.

I had concerns before the season due to the following:
    1. New OC with program ties but bad resume
    2. Mostly new O-Line
    3. New young QB
    4. No standout RB/TE

WR was the only offensive position that returned starters and we know what has happened there. So to blame it all on Seth is premature IMO, but understand they couldn’t keep him especially after the last two awful performances

5. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Bill may have saved his job with his current recruiting class. It’s maybe the best o-line class OU has ever had. If Bendenbaugh leaves then those guys leave too. Otherwise, he’d be gone for sure with this line.
    Bedenbaugh has a very long history of success and developing linesmen. There is no way they should let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Similar story with Tennessee- take away the turnovers and you have a close game. OU led Texas 3-0 at the beginning of the 2Q then bam two straight turnovers and with it all the momentum.

I had concerns before the season due to the following:
    1. New OC with program ties but bad resume
    2. Mostly new O-Line
    3. New young QB
    4. No standout RB/TE

WR was the only offensive position that returned starters and we know what has happened there. So to blame it all on Seth is premature IMO, but understand they couldn’t keep him especially after the last two awful performances
    Seth actually had a pretty decent resume as an OC and I know they were trying to go with continuity but I agree that they should be going after the best and not just pretty decent.

he also definitely had a ton of terrible breaks here but there are still coordinators doing more with much less. There’s still enough talent on that roster that there’s no way they should be anywhere above the 80s in every offensive metric and especially not outside the top 100.

Sure, Seth had an ok resume, but OC jobs at top 10 power house programs shouldn’t just be handed out because of convenience and continuity. This lies on Brent. He essentially has a blank check to go out and get the best OC he can find, but chose a familiar offensive analyst and former player. Regardless of how it ended, Bob made the best hire in OU history by going outside of the former Sooner player/family formula, by hiring Lincoln.

Hindsight is 2020, but BV realistically could have hired Andy Kotelnicki from Kansas last year. He went to Penn State and turned that offense around. As it is now, BV has to make a home run hire, or else he will be gone after next year without winning at least 8 or 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    Sure, Seth had an ok resume, but OC jobs at top 10 power house programs shouldn’t just be handed out because of convenience and continuity. This lies on Brent. He essentially has a blank check to go out and get the best OC he can find, but chose a familiar offensive analyst and former player. Regardless of how it ended, Bob made the best hire in OU history by going outside of the former Sooner player/family formula, by hiring Lincoln.

Hindsight is 2020, but BV realistically could have hired Andy Kotelnicki from Kansas last year. He went to Penn State and turned that offense around. As it is now, BV has to make a home run hire, or else he will be gone after next year without winning at least 8 or 9 games.
    I do not know if Brent will be gone next year since Sooners gave Brent a contract extension last year and it would cost $45 million to buy him out, it was a stupid decision to give him a contract extension

9. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I know this as fact from radio discussions from Cale Gundy. The position couches are responsible for recruiting and retention of the players at their positions. So if anyone needs to be gone it's the o-line coach. If OU had Texas's o-line we wouldn't be having this discussion. And if either of our QBs played behind UT's o-line you'd probably be amazed how good they would be.
    So, fire the best coach on the staff (just look at his product in the NFL) because he had one single bad year (due to several circumstances)? That's a sure fire way NEVER to have a winning season again. BB would have his pick an any college or likely NFL OL coaching position he wanted.

10. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post

Muleshoe is on the hot seat (really hot) at USC... maybe hire him back as OC?

I think BV is coaching for his own job the rest of the season. If we're lucky we will beat Maine, every other game we'll be big underdogs and could be blowouts. Obviously things are far worse than could have ever been expected so I don't know that anyone is safe depending how the rest of these games go. This has been a failure of epic proportions. It's a huge buyout but it's not the biggest one out there. A lot of it may depend on how many recruits bail & who hits the portal after the season.

12. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    So, fire the best coach on the staff (just look at his product in the NFL) because he had one single bad year (due to several circumstances)? That's a sure fire way NEVER to have a winning season again. BB would have his pick an any college or likely NFL OL coaching position he wanted.
    I really don't agree with that being the way it's done. But it seems to usually be the way it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I think BV is coaching for his own job the rest of the season. If we're lucky we will beat Maine, every other game we'll be big underdogs and could be blowouts. Obviously things are far worse than could have ever been expected so I don't know that anyone is safe depending how the rest of these games go. This has been a failure of epic proportions. It's a huge buyout but it's not the biggest one out there. A lot of it may depend on how many recruits bail & who hits the portal after the season.
    Ole Miss loss to Kentucky, Maine is Maine, Missouri is highly overrated, Alabama can't win on the road, LSU will be tough. We got this BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    It's 44.8 MM. He will be here next year.

15. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Ole Miss loss to Kentucky, Maine is Maine, Missouri is highly overrated, Alabama can't win on the road, LSU will be tough. We got this BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love the optimism, but...

16. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

I usually don't dip into the sports threads, but how do you fire Seth then promote Joe Jon? If that was the case you should have kept Seth. I don't see any way this gets any better but would love to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Bedenbaugh has a very long history of success and developing linesmen. There is no way they should let him go.
    Well, he has produced the worst OU line in 30 years because of poor recruiting, evaluation, and development over the last several years. So, it's definitely on the table. But, again, he may have saved his job with the current recruiting class. Otherwise, I'd say he should have been the first one fired. His o-line is the primary reason OU has its worst team since the 1990s.

It isn't just one bad year though. The line being this bad is a culminating of 3 bad years. And, he would not pick any job he wants. You're overvaluing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I usually don't dip into the sports threads, but how do you fire Seth then promote Joe Jon? If that was the case you should have kept Seth. I don't see any way this gets any better but would love to be proven wrong.
    100%. What is one thing JJF has ever accomplished? The guy keeps failing upward.

18. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Seth was fired mid season probably to appease internal pressure to do something. JJF got promoted because he's there. Not any type of guarantee the job is his next year. We couldn't hire a top OC overnight in the middle of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Promoting Joe Jon is a temporary move until after the season until Sooners find a new offensive coordinator unless the offense is much improved as the season goes on then Joe Jon will be the permanent offensive coordinator unless they decide to go with someone else

Littrell buyout reported to be 2.6 MM.

That ship has sailed — and sunk.

Promoting Joe Jon is a temporary move until after the season until Sooners find a new offensive coordinator unless the offense is much improved as the season goes on then Joe Jon will be the permanent offensive coordinator unless they decide to go with someone else
    Yeah, I think everyone knows it’s temporary, but it still seems to be a questionable choice. I really don’t think Joe Jon has any chance of keeping the OC job… He’ll be lucky just to keep any job on the staff. The guy hasn’t shown anything. His position group lacks talent or discipline. We’ll see what he does, but I think he’s a huge part of the problem.

23. Default Re: OU Football 2024 Season

Muleshoe needs to not step foot back in OK. It will be interesting to see if he still retires by age 50 as he bragged before he went back to Cali

Thread Information