Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

From what I could find. OKC has only gone 2 months in recorded history with zero precipitation.

January 1986 & August 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    From what I could find. OKC has only gone 2 months in recorded history with zero precipitation.

January 1986 & August 2000.
    Incredible, and very possible this month

Sad days. Our pond is basically gone. It’s been so stinking dry. I don’t know where I stand with this fall. The morning and evening temps have been fine but the heat and dryness really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Sad days. Our pond is basically gone. It’s been so stinking dry. I don’t know where I stand with this fall. The morning and evening temps have been fine but the heat and dryness really stinks.
    The heat and dryness along with the putrid state of OU football has made this the most depressing fall in recent memory. I’m not that old but definitely nostalgic for those all-day rainy/cloudy days we used to get in October.

Seems like El Nino was only here for like, 8 months. Or La Nina. I get them mixed up.

One full month into fall and we will be nearing 90 degrees on Tuesday.

We are not alone, the drought is becoming widespread across a large portion of the country

Keeping my eyes on the time period between 10/27 and 11/05 for a round or two of severe weather. Also, possibly our latest ever 90-degree day (our current latest is October 26th).

It's been almost two months and maybe more since we have had rain here and this is not a hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    It's been almost two months and maybe more since we have had rain here and this is not a hyperbole.
    This just is not true, there was a fairly notable rain event across the entire Metro on September 22nd, everyone got at least 0.25" with most areas south of I-40 receiving 1"+. We are in a bad spot, but let's not exaggerate.

It is interesting to me that a decent portion of the Metro, centered around Cleveland County, has managed to stay in no drought or D0 territory on the UNL Drought Monitor pretty much due to large amounts of rain on two days in the past 10+ weeks, those two days being the aforementioned September 22nd, and also August 11th which was an even more notable event. But I can't imagine that getting deluged twice over the past 71 days and counting is as healthy for the ecosystem as a more even distribution of the same amount of precipitation over the same amount of time would be. And in any case, the entire Metro will most likely be in the D1 category or worse by this time next month if we don't at least pick up a couple inches of rain between now and then.

Was also out at Lake Hefner this evening and noticed that water levels have once again started to noticeably recede, plenty of visible sand on the eastern shoreline.

You can check mesonet to get rainfall totals. Parts of the metro doing welling well. My area by lake overholster, Yukon, El Reno, Guthrie not so much with around .70 in 60 days. Less than an inch in 60 days. Last big rain in these areas were Aug 10th maybe 11th. So more like less than in inch in 2 1/2 months. If you get rain tomorrow go buy a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    You can check mesonet to get rainfall totals. Parts of the metro doing welling well. My area by lake overholster, Yukon, El Reno, Guthrie not so much with around .70 in 60 days. Less than an inch in 60 days. Last big rain in these areas were Aug 10th maybe 11th. So more like less than in inch in 2 1/2 months. If you get rain tomorrow go buy a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This just is not true, there was a fairly notable rain event across the entire Metro on September 22nd, everyone got at least 0.25" with most areas south of I-40 receiving 1"+. We are in a bad spot, but let's not exaggerate.

It is interesting to me that a decent portion of the Metro, centered around Cleveland County, has managed to stay in no drought or D0 territory on the UNL Drought Monitor pretty much due to large amounts of rain on two days in the past 10+ weeks, those two days being the aforementioned September 22nd, and also August 11th which was an even more notable event. But I can't imagine that getting deluged twice over the past 71 days and counting is as healthy for the ecosystem as a more even distribution of the same amount of precipitation over the same amount of time would be. And in any case, the entire Metro will most likely be in the D1 category or worse by this time next month if we don't at least pick up a couple inches of rain between now and then.

Was also out at Lake Hefner this evening and noticed that water levels have once again started to noticeably recede, plenty of visible sand on the eastern shoreline.
    It may not be true for you, but it is true for a lot of us. That rain event was nice but covered a very small geographic area. Much of the OKC area (suburbs included) haven't seen rain in 60+ days.

My last measurable rainfall was 28 days ago, and it was 0.08", in north Edmond. My lawn is already dormant and has been for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    My last measurable rainfall was 28 days ago, and it was 0.08", in north Edmond. My lawn is already dormant and has been for a while.
    Yeah, my last measurable was about 50 days ago at 0.15 inches.

soooo.....I guess technically we did get rain in the past 60 days....

OMG! The GFS hinting at some nice chances of rain the first of November. Do whatever you have to do for superstition. Shake the rain maker sticks. Wear your underwear on your head. Whatever it is. DO IT! We need it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How many times have we gone a full month with zero or close to zero precip?
    It has now outlasted and surpassed OU’s passing TD drought. An impressive feat.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    OMG! The GFS hinting at some nice chances of rain the first of November. Do whatever you have to do for superstition. Shake the rain maker sticks. Wear your underwear on your head. Whatever it is. DO IT! We need it! lol
    And just like that it’s gone.

Well crap. Looks like yet another hurricane is set to come in and steal our moisture again. So much for that rain at the start of the month. Man guys, this isn’t good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It has now outlasted and surpassed OU’s passing TD drought. An impressive feat.
    We started an office pool before the Texas game. What will happen first rain or OU football win?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    We started an office pool before the Texas game. What will happen first rain or OU football win?
    God help us if we can't beat Maine lol

My goodness, you know a drought still means business when it does try to rain, it does very little. The mesonet for Stillwater only got .03. I only got .01. At most other personal weather stations in Stillwater, it didn't shower enough to trip the bucket, so they got ZERO. Only one site in Oklahoma got a semi-decent amount of rain.

Everyone root for the EURO model!

New record highs across the state were set today and tomorrow is likely as well.

Perhaps a sign of moisture around Halloween into November.

We have barely even seen a cloud over the last two months.

Thread Information