Widgets Magazine

Thread: Looking for dates of concerts

Default Looking for dates of concerts

Hi!

I'm looking for the exact dates of some concerts I remember attending back in the day but now I can't find any info on them. If anybody could be of any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Chuck Berry at McAsland Field House in Norman. It would have been in the mid 70's, probably somewhere between 1973 and 1975.

Huey Lewis and the News at a bar in OKC, maybe a place called Jaggz. It was probably in 1982.

The Band at Lincoln Plaza in OKC.

Violent Femmes at The Bowery in OKC. This would have been the original Bowery in the basement on 10th Street.

Wall of Voodoo, also at the original Bowery.

If anybody has those dates, please share them. Thank you!!

2. Default Re: Looking for dates of concerts

Try www.Setlist.FM. I have found almost every concert I ever attended on there.

Default Re: Looking for dates of concerts

I'm working on these and will post as I verify.

Here is Wall of Voodoo (Stan Ridgway!) from Thursday, February 3, 1983:

Huey Lewis was at Jagg's in OKC in late May of 1982.

All I could find was an interview published on June 1, 1982 where they mentioned his recent gig at Jagg's.

The Femmes were at The Bowery Tuesday, November 15, 1983:

6. Default Re: Looking for dates of concerts

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Try www.Setlist.FM. I have found almost every concert I ever attended on there.
    I didn't know about this! I've often wondered about exactly when I saw The Stones, The Who, etc. etc. etc. back in the late 70s and 80s. Now that I have time I'm going to look a bunch of them up.
    For instance. This afternoon I was part of a discussion on a bass player's forum of the most energetic concerts you've seen. I know for me it was The Stones and The Who. Both in the Cotton Bowl. Both in the same summer sometime in the 80s. I'm really curious exactly when.

I started doing this about 10 years ago and have persuaded lots of friends to do the same:

Make a big spreadsheet with a tab for various categories such as:
    Concerts
    Plays
    Weddings
    Funerals
    Pets
    Jobs
    Trips
    Relationships
    Cars
    Places lived
    Friends

Then start filling in entries and dates. Go through and start adding items and dates; don't worry about getting everything and all the dates exact, just fill in what you know.

Then put things in proper order and start plugging the holes. You can find almost everything on the internet these days.

Once you get a decent amount of information, it makes it much easier to plug the gaps: "Let's see, I know I was living on X street and driving X car, and working at X, so I must have dated her sometime between 1985 and 1987."

You'll be surprised how much you can fill in. I've found every single concert (including my very first, the Beach Boys at the Myriad) and now I just keep adding things. I can answer questions all the time: "When did I come visit you in California? You were living in Manhattan Beach and driving that Red Acura..." I can immediately narrow it down, especially if we went to a movie or ball game, because those are easy to confirm.

"I know I visited you in Houston the summer after our sophomore year in college because we went to see the re-release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and research tells me it came out in early August 1980."

It's fun and interesting! It's also a good way to keep your memory sharp.

It's one of the reasons I wanted to find the answers in the OP because I've learned how to find such info. In fact, I am helping a friend who was a very successful radio DJ and stand-up comedian start to outline a book; I've volunteered to do research and fact-checking because he's done so many clubs and met so many famous people, he can't keep it all straight. It's super interesting to help him piece things together.

8. Default Re: Looking for dates of concerts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I didn't know about this! I've often wondered about exactly when I saw The Stones, The Who, etc. etc. etc. back in the late 70s and 80s. Now that I have time I'm going to look a bunch of them up.
    For instance. This afternoon I was part of a discussion on a bass player's forum of the most energetic concerts you've seen. I know for me it was The Stones and The Who. Both in the Cotton Bowl. Both in the same summer sometime in the 80s. I'm really curious exactly when.
    I love the Setlist website, Bill. It's awesome!

Thread Information