Widgets Magazine

Thread: OU/Texas Traffic

Default OU/Texas Traffic

I have friends that want to meet me Friday night at Winstar. I'm not going to the game will just drive down there and back. They wanted to meet around 5:30 for dinner than gamble for a bit. Takes me 2 hours to get there from my house west metro. I'm worried about gameday traffic if I leave about 3. What time does traffic get really bad? I'm trying to talk them into like 2 or 3 for a late lunch so I can leave around noon? Would that be better or doesn't it really matter traffic is bad all day. I'm not worried about the drive home and that is going away from the game. Thanks

2. Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

Students have no class on Friday so they will be leaving all day or Thursday. In the past when I was a student I would leave around noon and not see much traffic until I was closer to Dallas.

Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

It will be heavy on Friday around that time. People will be taking off work early and there will be another wave of students heading down. I always head down Thursday to avoid the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I have friends that want to meet me Friday night at Winstar. I'm not going to the game will just drive down there and back. They wanted to meet around 5:30 for dinner than gamble for a bit. Takes me 2 hours to get there from my house west metro. I'm worried about gameday traffic if I leave about 3. What time does traffic get really bad? I'm trying to talk them into like 2 or 3 for a late lunch so I can leave around noon? Would that be better or doesn't it really matter traffic is bad all day. I'm not worried about the drive home and that is going away from the game. Thanks
    Driven there for over 20 years for the game. Traffic on the Friday before is thick in Oklahoma but it moves. It gets awful from about Gainesville into the DFW area.

I would just give yourself an extra about 30 min ... to get there leaving at either 12 or 3 ... and you should be fine (barring a wreck)

6. Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

HA! Goof luck getting there once you cross the river! I was there last night. Traffic was crazy and Wednesday is typically a slow day. Thankfully I was a passenger princess.

If you're feeling really froggy try taking I635 to Hwy 75... You have a better chance of curing cancer than you have of getting to I30.

Best bet. Take the train!

I went every year for over 40 years but it's been quite a while for me. It depends what part of Dallas you're going to, but I always preferred getting off at Gainesville, going to Sherman and taking 75 on into Dallas. I actually started that trek before I 35 was built and used the mostly 2 lane highway 77. Talk about fun if you every wanted to pass people.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    HA! Goof luck getting there once you cross the river! I was there last night. Traffic was crazy and Wednesday is typically a slow day. Thankfully I was a passenger princess.

If you're feeling really froggy try taking I635 to Hwy 75... You have a better chance of curing cancer than you have of getting to I30.

Best bet is the light rail. I took the it from Las Colinas (lrving) my last couple of games and it was great going in but its best to see the fair a while before leaving. If you do drive, l've taken Fitzhugh many times from Knox-Henderson and parked in neighborhoods - usually trying to patronize neighborhood churches.

100%, the Heartland Flyer is the way to go. For OU/Texas Weekend, they run the "Big Game Train" which usually has expanded capacity - and the train gets extended all the way to Dallas Union Station instead of ending in Fort Worth like it usually does. They even added a Sightseer Lounge car this year!

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/about-us/n...ame-train.html

the toll road under 635 was fantastic and 75 mph with no slow downs both directions ..

left the game with 4 min on the clock in the 4th q ... and made it back to Edmond in less then 3.5 hours with an IN-n-OUT stop along the way ..

11. Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the toll road under 635 was fantastic and 75 mph with no slow downs both directions ..

left the game with 4 min on the clock in the 4th q ... and made it back to Edmond in less then 3.5 hours with an IN-n-OUT stop along the way ..
    Well of course there was no traffic at that time... The rest of the Sooner fans were already gone.

Well of course there was no traffic at that time... The rest of the Sooner fans were already gone.
    there was none on 635 toll on friday either ..

Word. 100%

14. Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    there was none on 635 toll on friday either ..
    They already knew the outcome. Hit the bars early instead.

There was no traffic on I-35 Friday evening either.

16. Default Re: OU/Texas Traffic

There was no traffic on I-35 Friday evening either.
    Maybe no Sooner fans went to the game since the traffic was non-existent for the game but was awful on what is typically the slowest night of the fair.... /shrug

Thread Information