Widgets Magazine
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47929394959697
Results 2,401 to 2,413 of 2413

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Seem to be seeing an uptick in this stuff in the news. I have to wonder if it's going to start affecting people bringing their families down there? I remember years ago before it's resurgence that you didn't want to go down there due to the potential violence, but anymore I feel like I'm seeing more and more news like this.
    My mother-in-law, who lives a hundred miles away, told me bricktown is overrun with gangs again (?) and is not a safe place to visit.

"If it bleeds, it leads."

There's a sizable contingent of the population that just needs to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    My mother-in-law, who lives a hundred miles away, told me bricktown is overrun with gangs again (?) and is not a safe place to visit.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Regardless of who is shooting who, people are hearing the words "shooting" and "brick town" and are drawing conclusions and at some point you'd think it'd start to have an effect on business.

The temperature needs to drop about 40 degrees. That will slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    It's likely little different from the strip in Stillwater. It's safe at night up to the point of the bars closing. Then you better have already left the area. The strip attracts a lot of out of towners who might get rowdy late besides townies and students. At least shootings are seldom heard of. https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/date-night-turns-violent-osu-student-battered-after-attack-on-the-strip#:~:text=Katlyn%20Loubiere.%20While%20ER%20do ctors%20sewed%20up%20Parson's%20eyebrow,%20Stillwa ter

I always felt safe while collecting signals to legalize med and/or rec marijuana on the strip at night. It was a great way to avoid the daytime heat. But only stayed until 12 or 12:30 am, because by then everybody was through bar hopping and had picked a bar to settle in for the rest of the night. I was never brave enough to stay until closing time to take a chance for what I might be in for. If one is in a real crappy mood when starting to drink, he's likely to be crappier at closing time. Seldom went in the bars. Maybe I should have for more signatures.

7. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It's likely little different from the strip in Stillwater. It's safe at night up to the point of the bars closing. Then you better have already left the area. The strip attracts a lot of out of towners who might get rowdy late besides townies and students. At least shootings are seldom heard of. https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/date-night-turns-violent-osu-student-battered-after-attack-on-the-strip#:~:text=Katlyn%20Loubiere.%20While%20ER%20do ctors%20sewed%20up%20Parson's%20eyebrow,%20Stillwa ter

I always felt safe while collecting signals to legalize med and/or rec marijuana on the strip at night. It was a great way to avoid the daytime heat. But only stayed until 12 or 12:30 am, because by then everybody was through bar hopping and had picked a bar to settle in for the rest of the night. I was never brave enough to stay until closing time to take a chance for what I might be in for. If one is in a real crappy mood when starting to drink, he's likely to be crappier at closing time. Seldom went in the bars. Maybe I should have for more signatures.
    Exactly how its been seen in downtown Denver. Most of the violence seems to occur at bar closing time so recently they stopped allowing food trucks to operate there late at night.

8. Default Re: Bricktown

Yeah no. The narrative that bricktown is “overrun” or “unsafe” is a joke unless you are a member of the 2am bar crowd or you like to get yourself into trouble.. It’s horrible to hear our cities CURRENT nicest tourist attraction/area be so blatantly misrepresented.

I currently work in Bricktown. It is still such an anchor of our city. It’s managed to keep itself remarkably clean over the better course of a decade, despite the fact that the homeless do move through the area and raid trash cans behind businesses but so goes life in a city. If you’re not out at 1am-4am starting arguments with people in the street, you will have no problems. The area is so very heavily traveled by tourists who still to this day RAVE about how clean the area is or how surprising it is that Oklahoma City has an area like it. Also, in case we’ve forgotten? It’s policed like crazy. You and your family are safe unless you plan on bringing your kids to Las Locas and start an argument with some random person at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    Yeah no. The narrative that bricktown is “overrun” or “unsafe” is a joke unless you are a member of the 2am bar crowd or you like to get yourself into trouble.. It’s horrible to hear our cities CURRENT nicest tourist attraction/area be so blatantly misrepresented.

I currently work in Bricktown. It is still such an anchor of our city. It’s managed to keep itself remarkably clean over the better course of a decade, despite the fact that the homeless do move through the area and raid trash cans behind businesses but so goes life in a city. If you’re not out at 1am-4am starting arguments with people in the street, you will have no problems. The area is so very heavily traveled by tourists who still to this day RAVE about how clean the area is or how surprising it is that Oklahoma City has an area like it. Also, in case we’ve forgotten? It’s policed like crazy. You and your family are safe unless you plan on bringing your kids to Las Locas and start an argument with some random person at the club.
    All of this is very true and well said, but it doesn’t seem like anyone in this thread - at least by my interpretation - has used the recent events to give credence to that narrative as a reality. I think we’re all in agreement about it but also are just aware that certain types are going to strip it of context and use it to further leverage their fear of urban settings.

10. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    All of this is very true and well said, but it doesn’t seem like anyone in this thread - at least by my interpretation - has used the recent events to give credence to that narrative as a reality. I think we’re all in agreement about it but also are just aware that certain types are going to strip it of context and use it to further leverage their fear of urban settings.
    I was getting my haircut yesterday and everyone there was talking about Bricktown being completely overrun by both male and female gangs and how unsafe it was, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I was getting my haircut yesterday and everyone there was talking about Bricktown being completely overrun by both male and female gangs and how unsafe it was, etc.
    Hyperbole for effect is one of the most rampant forms of barbershop talk (not just barbershop, but you get it).

Heck I just did it!

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Wish someone would’ve pointed them out to me as I walked the length of Bricktown to and from the game last night lol.

Blog Entries

Bricktown3 Re: Bricktown

Thread Information