Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    at 0700 today it was 48 degrees
    Good to know but i don't live at Will Rogers airport where the official temperature is calculated.

Air is so dry it cools off quickly and heats up quickly during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Good to know but i don't live at Will Rogers airport where the official temperature is calculated.
    So I live immediately SW of airport. i drive a jeep and I can feel the temperature drop 10 degrees as I drive the two miles west from I44 across the southern part of airport

Our gently rolling terrain combined with rapid transition between the outer suburbs and very sparsley populated areas can result in wide temperature variances on calm, clear nights. There was a night back in October 2021 when my car thermometer showed 72 degrees at NW 10th & Garth Brooks, and dropped to 51 degrees at NW 10th & Cimarron, just three miles to the west. The OKC East Mesonet site will sometimes be 10 degrees cooler than areas just a mile or two to the west if conditions are right, due to its location in the river valley and lack of urban heat island influence relative to Downtown/Midtown OKC.

Drought intensifies through at least the back half of October.

No moisture available as long as there is a closed-off tropical low in the Gulf. For us or the rest of the country outside of Florida and the Pacific NW. This could actually be an historically dry October for many areas. I don’t think I’ve ever seen models trending this dry 2-3 weeks out and I’ve been following weather models daily for the past 15 years.

Hopefully we have just one more week of 90's, looks like a scorcher for OU/TX especially being a 2:30 this year. Have we had 90's in November before? Seems plausible that we could experience those before too long given climate change.

I will say though that it's still much cooler in the mornings & evenings but even during the afternoon it still feels 20 degrees cooler than it did not long ago with the humidity being way down. I run quite a bit and even during peak heat last couple weeks it's still been a major relief from July/August.

Glass half full I guess, we basically have 6 months now where it can be really hot at any given time- May-October.

I can’t remember a time of so many consecutive days with a single cloud in the sky. I hate it. Bring on the rain!!!!

9. Default Re: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    …Have we had 90's in November before? Seems plausible that we could experience those before too long given climate change...
    The answer is no, we have historically never experienced the 90s during November, although record highs during most of the month are pretty close, with many in the upper eighties. However, all but six days in OCTOBER have a record in the 90s, with many of those in the UPPER 90s.

The records are also pretty well distributed among the years and the decades since the 1890s, with seven of those records coming after 2000 and only a single one in the 2020s. In 2021 the record high was 94 on October 8.

The records for the first seven days of October were set in 1938, 1938, 1951, 1931, 1947, 1939 and 1979. Today’s record (Oct 5) was 95 degrees, set in 1947.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/climate-records

Oddball records can and do happen; I remember well a day in February 1996 (Feb 22) when the temp was 92 degrees. If it can happen in February it can happen just about any time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The answer is no, we have historically never experienced the 90s during November, although record highs during most of the month are pretty close, with many in the upper eighties. However, all but six days in OCTOBER have a record in the 90s, with many of those in the UPPER 90s.

The records are also pretty well distributed among the years and the decades since the 1890s, with seven of those records coming after 2000 and only a single one in the 2020s. In 2021 the record high was 94 on October 8.

The records for the first seven days of October were set in 1938, 1938, 1951, 1931, 1947, 1939 and 1979. Today’s record (Oct 5) was 95 degrees, set in 1947.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/climate-records

Oddball records can and do happen; I remember well a day in February 1996 (Feb 22) when the temp was 92 degrees. If it can happen in February it can happen just about any time of the year.
    The highest the temp got during November of last year at my place was 88.4 on the 7th. So, I don't think it is too far-fetched it could get to 90 this November, if unusually warm weather trends just keep going on. If so, maybe the first freeze will happen well into November this year.

Thread Information