Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edmond GO Bond Task Force and Projects

Default Re: Edmond GO Bond Task Force and Projects

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Road improvements are ranked about 1, 2 and 3 in importance to Edmond citizens it seems, and this covers a bunch. WIll be interesting to see if Edmond puts their money where their mouth is because this will increase prop taxes a bit.
    I got my ballot in the mail the other day. It doesn't say what the millage increase is on the ballot. Website says 15 mill, which for me is about a 14% increase in property taxes.

As it always is with these things, some of the projects I'm excited about, others not as much. Really I think it shows just how punishing and impractical car infrastructure is for cities to maintain. Also wish it would include more trails and sidewalks/safe crossings to get to parks, other gold plating the soccer complex or Mitch park sports fields in an attempt to attract a few extra tournaments. Really wish it was finishing the trail around Arcadia.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It is a big need. And as someone up thread pointed out, Edmond continues to grow. So streets get widened but city of Edmond wants to continue to pretend that it's a bedroom community circa 1974 and have the speed limit be 35mph on a six lane road with 8 stoplights per 100 yards.

Edmond needs more efficient traffic management but the powers that be don't appear to care. Pothole ridden roads and insane traffic really cut into the QoL in Edmond.

I know the money isn't there for it but I'd like to see a lot stoplights replaced with round abouts. I'd like to see several stoplights removed. I'd like for the larger thoroughfares to have a speed limit of 45. I'd like to see some of the roads redesigned to encourage slower driving rather than just sticking up a speed limit sign of 25 on a 4 or 5 lane road and expecting people to not drive fast.

I'm mayor Goldie Traxx and progress is my middle name.
    The stops lights are growing like weeds in Edmond. And once they are installed they will never go away. It should be illegal for cities to offer stop light to developers. The way the guidelines work, it requires almost no justification to install a light and a ton of justification to remove one and over the last decade Edmond will put one in for anyone that asks.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Summary of a meeting to discuss the upcoming GO bond. I assume this gets voted down next month based on the article and what little I've seen from Edmond residents. They want roads fixed, but dont really want to pay extra for them.

https://nondoc.com/2024/09/30/edmond...-park-meeting/
    Who will pay for them? if that is the case? Eventually, Edmond will have to step up to the plate if they want quality roads and a livable city. Edmond needs more taxpayers and more high paying jobs to be able to fix their roads and have a great quality of life! It is time for Edmond to grow and not just be a bedroom community.

4. Default Re: Edmond GO Bond Task Force and Projects

Edmond needs to also not let NIMBYs turn down 90% of anything proposed

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Edmond needs to also not let NIMBYs turn down 90% of anything proposed
    No offense but projects are rarely turned down in Edmond. Just the ones that are cool and unique like the Shoppes at Spring Creek Expansion and 18 on Fink etc. Apartments are the biggest target. Two apartment projects on the fringes of the city were recently killed due to NIMBYs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    The stops lights are growing like weeds in Edmond. And once they are installed they will never go away. It should be illegal for cities to offer stop light to developers. The way the guidelines work, it requires almost no justification to install a light and a ton of justification to remove one and over the last decade Edmond will put one in for anyone that asks.
    They could remove them. Just needs to be a change in leadership. Some traffic lights are good but Edmond has damn near zero sense of functional city planning IMO. Like the new traffic signal near that grocery store on Covell. They could have built an access road to connect with the traffic signal for the YMCA. Would have been more expensive since two new access road would have been needed to be built to achieve what the goal was but Edmond is going Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They could remove them. Just needs to be a change in leadership. Some traffic lights are good but Edmond has damn near zero sense of functional city planning IMO. Like the new traffic signal near that grocery store on Covell. They could have built an access road to connect with the traffic signal for the YMCA. Would have been more expensive since two new access road would have been needed to be built to achieve what the goal was but Edmond is going Edmond.
    Yeah, there is absolutely zero need for that light. Maybe for the 30 minutes around school letting out, but that is it. My buddy that does a lot of road/bridge projects around the states talks constantly about how they can't fix roads correctly due to the inability to remove bad traffic lights (and driveways).

Thread Information