Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Osteria

Blog Entries

Default Re: Osteria

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The proper Italian way to cook pasta is to boil it in water that is as salty as the sea - about a heaping tablespoon per gallon of water. Salted water seasons your pasta as it cooks and makes a big difference - it's pretty bland without it. If you're not, give it a try next time.
    No. Little to no salt is needed. Sea water salty is grossly too much. Pasta isn’t flavored up. No cooking instructions ever call for more than token amounts of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    No. Little to no salt is needed. Sea water salty is grossly too much. Pasta isn’t flavored up. No cooking instructions ever call for more than token amounts of salt.
    This is on every Della Terra Pasta dried pasta package. I'm guessing they're more of a pasta expert than anybody here, we follow their instructions and it turns out great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasta.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	19201

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This is on every Della Terra Pasta dried pasta package. I'm guessing they're more of a pasta expert than anybody here, we follow their instructions and it turns out great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasta.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	19201
    Since salt is often used in the cooking stage to hide tastes, I am assuming Delia Terra knows their pasta. Salt is kind of like air conditioning. People think it cools the air, but it doesn't.. it takes heat out. Salt doesn't add flavor, it renders certain offensive taste unabsorbable by taste buds.

4. Default Re: Osteria

Since salt is often used in the cooking stage to hide tastes, I am assuming Delia Terra knows their pasta. Salt is kind of like air conditioning. People think it cools the air, but it doesn't.. it takes heat out. Salt doesn't add flavor, it renders certain offensive taste unabsorbable by taste buds.
    This is BS. Salt adds flavor. It's the most commonly used flavoring in human history, and not just to block bad tastes.

You realize the instructions say to add salt to the water right? Just because you may like your food a bit blander does not mean others do too. Things like salt and msg elevate the flavor in a dish, one of the absolute best examples would be steak, but pasta is a close second especially with a simple dish like cacio e pepe. The pecorino and parmesan are both salty, but if you make two of them the exact same way except for the pasta water you will be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This is BS. Salt adds flavor. It's the most commonly used flavoring in human history, and not just to block bad tastes.
    I know some high-level chefs from L.A. who sing the praises of salt as a flavor enhancer in almost all their dishes.

It's even called for in many baking recipes.

Blog Entries

Lydia knows pasta…
    However, Bastianich also made the case for omitting olive oil when necessary. "Don't put olive oil in when you're cooking pasta and you're boiling that water," she stressed. "The oil coats the pasta and then the sauce slides off. You want the pasta that sort of kisses with the sauce, and all together is delicious. Always salt the water, no oil."

I promise you the local chefs are salting the water for your pasta & have been for a long time. Della Terra has become the standard here unless you can do it better than them.

I'm curious to make some without salt now and see if there's anything to it, this has been an interesting discussion lol.

Since salt is often used in the cooking stage to hide tastes,
    this is the opposite of what salt is used for

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is the opposite of what salt is used for
    Salt reduces bitterness

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Lydia knows pasta…
    However, Bastianich also made the case for omitting olive oil when necessary. "Don't put olive oil in when you're cooking pasta and you're boiling that water," she stressed. "The oil coats the pasta and then the sauce slides off. You want the pasta that sort of kisses with the sauce, and all together is delicious. Always salt the water, no oil."
    I'd omit the "when necessary" part of the first sentence. I've heard that you should *never* use olive oil when boiling pasta or afterwards before saucing it. It's fine if it's in or part of the sauce, but not as a standalone addition.

Also, as another tip, find pasta manufactured through bronze dies instead of plastic, it's more textured and holds the sauce better. We use Rao's when we don't trouble ourselves with going to a store that carries Della Terra (Sprouts carries Rao's and we're there every week).

Salt reduces bitterness
    salt enhances all other flavors ..

https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/all-about-salt

Thread Information