Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: United States City stadiums and arenas--proposed and upgrades.

Default Re: United States City stadiums and arenas--proposed and upgrades.

Denver's going to be building a new dome for the Broncos but it's still a few years out..

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: United States City stadiums and arenas--proposed and upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Denver's going to be building a new dome for the Broncos but it's still a few years out..
    Thanks Bro,

Are the Broncos on the way to getting a new stadium?

Denver–Aurora–Centennial, CO MSA 3,005,131

No reasonable person would vote to finance a new Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. They have low attendance, they play a lot of games overseas, and they've been bad pretty much their entire existence.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    No reasonable person would vote to finance a new Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. They have low attendance, they play a lot of games overseas, and they've been bad pretty much their entire existence.
    the 14 people that matter already did

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...erbank-stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Once OKC can afford to invest in a translucent roof stadium to land one of these big events and entice OU and OSU to commit some non conference games in our city.
    There's no way the powers that be in Stillwater or Norman would agree with this. The cities need the revenue that visitors bring in during a home game. Why on earth would they give that up for anything in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the 14 people that matter already did

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...erbank-stadium
    Ridiculous.

7. Default Re: United States City stadiums and arenas--proposed and upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Spot on Bison34 about education and luring Fortune 500 companies. We have one major university within a 50 mile radius of OKC. I envy Raleigh, NC they have Duke, North Carolina State and North Carolina all within a 50 mile radius of Raleigh.
    Actually 2. OSU is 45 miles away.

Anyway, I personaly think OKC's focus should continue to be on the NBA, being the shining beacon for the small markets. Once the arena and stadium is built and OKC hosts the Olympics is complete, I think the city (in 2028ish) could expand its pro sports focus to the MLS. By then OKC should have metro area pop above 1.7 million - perfect for two sports esp considering MLS is sort of the lesser when considering the Big 4 major leagues. With the stadium and great ownership, we should be more than able to support MLS with no impact to the NBA in about 3 years.

After that - we should go after the NFL but that will take a new stadium as mentioned. Honestly, OKC should plan NOW on making the MAPS Stadium where it could be expanded significantly into an NFL stadium in the future. Once OKC passes 2 million metro - we should be able to support NBA, NFL, and MLS. To me that's the sweet spot and I think we can start to make that a reality in 2035 once the NBA Arena collection has passed, the city could do a Stadium MAPS to expand the MAPS Soccer stadium into an NFL/MLS dome hopefully less expensive by capitalizing on the current effort.

I don't forsee the other leagues unless the OKC Thunder ownership develop an interest/deal with MLB and/or perhaps the WNBA. ... NHL to me is a no-go in OKC due to timing with the NBA, leave that for potential major league team for Tulsa once they reach above 1.2 million.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. XXL View Post
    There's no way the powers that be in Stillwater or Norman would agree with this. The cities need the revenue that visitors bring in during a home game. Why on earth would they give that up for anything in OKC?
    True about OSU because they aren't able to cultivate the kindness of Boone Pickens' generosity as a fall back; also OU is tightening their belt as well.

I'm not sure what support the UTSA contributes to the Alamodome; they occupied the dome in 2011 to present some 18 years after it opened in 1993. The more events you can secure equates to more Hotel-Motel occupancy use in our city. Our city will need more hotels once you build an indoor stadium.

Like I mentioned, San Antonio opened their dome in 1993 when they had 1.3 million in their MSA. Our city has close to1.5 million now --projected to have close to 1.7 million in 2030 cited by HotRod.

OKC's location (I-35/I-40 crossroads) is ideal for a stadium.

Although I don't have any figures to support a 'basic bare bones minimum' indoor stadium similar to the Alamo City or the Dome of America in St. Louis, you can anticipate $600 million--that's probably what we should be looking at (SA and/or STL) as soon as the debt on the new arena is close to pay off. MAPS 4 expires in 2028 the new DT arena will require a 72 month loan (6 years) to pay off around 2034.

How would OKC pay for a $600 million indoor stadium:

Phase 1: 2025 bonds (open air outdoor stadium 40,000 seat stadium $300 million), some hotel-motel tax revenue earmarked for expansion, Naming-rights revenue money directed for stadium only and

Phase II: 2034 MAPS 4 extension ($300 million) to complete the stadium eventually seating 75,000 with a roof.

We’re done paying for new stadiums and/or arenas since the RTA is taking the place of MAPS. Politically, it won’t be possible to do RTA and MAPS. Sales tax is already very high as it is.

Thread Information