Widgets Magazine

Thread: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

With nothing but warm and dry conditions to end September might as well get October started with much of the same weather.

Unseasonably warm and dry for at least the next two weeks as drought continues to worsen across Oklahoma.

Default Re: October 2024 - General Weather Discussion

It's going to get really dry. I know parts of the metro had the big rain but some like myself near Yukon only had .60. That was pretty much it for the last 50 days and the next 15 don't look much better.

The bermuda grass and trees will survive. We've had dry spells before and I've never lost a lawn or any trees because of lack of rain in the 45 years I've been a homeowner. I don't water my yard or trees at all and I have a well for outside use and could water as much as I want. What I don't like is it seems the true fall like temperatures seem to come later and later every year. I would settle for just normal temps by now instead of above normal. I will probably still be mowing in late October or even November.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    The bermuda grass and trees will survive. We've had dry spells before and I've never lost a lawn or any trees because of lack of rain in the 45 years I've been a homeowner. I don't water my yard or trees at all and I have a well for outside use and could water as much as I want. What I don't like is it seems the true fall like temperatures seem to come later and later every year. I would settle for just normal temps by now instead of above normal. I will probably still be mowing in late October or even November.
    I have trees can't grow bemuda turns too dirt have fescue I need rain UGH

Fescue is hard to keep alive in Oklahoma. It's why I have minimal trees. I have one dwarf tree growing in a rock garden so I don't have to worry about grass growing under it. I had 20 pine trees at one time until I got tired of cleaning up after them and had them all removed. I am surrounded by trees in my neighbors yards and the lack of rain never seems to bother them.

I’m so f’ing sick of this heat. Every time I check the 7 day, I see highs in the low 80’s. What actually happens? Low to mid 90’s. Our dang AC crapped out on us last night and it’s so hot in here. So sick of this dang month and this horrible drought. Easily the worst September I can remember.

I unironically think that the stretch of weather we're currently in the middle of is just about as good as it gets in OKC. Warm enough to still wear a t-shirt and shorts, very low humidity, and rapid nighttime cooling given the consistently clear skies and light winds.

Fescue is hard to keep alive in Oklahoma. It's why I have minimal trees. I have one dwarf tree growing in a rock garden so I don't have to worry about grass growing under it. I had 20 pine trees at one time until I got tired of cleaning up after them and had them all removed. I am surrounded by trees in my neighbors yards and the lack of rain never seems to bother them.
    Oh man did I hate the pine tree in my backyard I was glad when it died. I also have a willow tree back there and yeah that don't grow grass under it no matter what kind of grass I use but it's in the backyard so I don't care. Fescue is not that hard to keep alive it just needs a lot of water. I have a sprinkler system but I'm careful with it cuz I don't want to kill my water bill.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Oh man did I hate the pine tree in my backyard I was glad when it died. I also have a willow tree back there and yeah that don't grow grass under it no matter what kind of grass I use but it's in the backyard so I don't care. Fescue is not that hard to keep alive it just needs a lot of water. I have a sprinkler system but I'm careful with it cuz I don't want to kill my water bill.
    Fescue is pretty easy to keep alive if you have a ton of shade and deep water it as needed with some light watering in between to keep it cool. Any fescue in full afternoon sun is pretty tough to keep going by late summer no matter what you do (in my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Fescue is pretty easy to keep alive if you have a ton of shade and deep water it as needed with some light watering in between to keep it cool. Any fescue in full afternoon sun is pretty tough to keep going by late summer no matter what you do (in my experience).
    I have about 15,000 square feet of fescue and I ended up drilling a water well a few years ago because city water was too expensive to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I have about 15,000 square feet of fescue and I ended up drilling a water well a few years ago because city water was too expensive to keep it alive.
    Just curious - how expensive was the well? I've been thinking about one...

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    Yep. Need a lot of water during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Just curious - how expensive was the well? I've been thinking about one...
    It depends on how deep they have to go to get water. I think the base charge was something like $5K and a additional charge per foot after that. I ended up spending about $10K. My water bill was about $1000 a month in the summer before, so it paid off quick.

My well was already drilled when I bought my house. It is only for outdoor use. My water table is at 14 ft and it was drilled to 125 ft. I verified that when I had to change the pump a few years ago and pulled that much pipe out of it to get to the pump at the end of it. It is just a pump and PVC pipe plumbed to 3 faucets at a few places in my back yard. I do not have a pressure tank or any well house. I always have to have at least one faucet open before i turn it on.

It will only get worse, it will get hotter and it will stay hotter later. Unfortunately, the blue atlas cedar that the previous homeowners planted 15-20 years ago is dying (we've been in the house 8 years), lost a huge limb last year and a bunch more this year, due to the heat and lack of rain. We have taken out most trees (except 3 junipers that have been here forever (house is 74 years old, not sure how long the trees have been there)), and we're probably going to take out the blue atlas cedar since it's on its way out anyway. We don't water our trees or yard (bermuda) because if the trees can't handle it the climate without water then they don't need to be planted here.

Mike Morgan basically said October might not get any rain. The East and Southeast part of OKC, Moore and Norman are in good shape cause of all the rain. Edmond had a lot also. Yukon, Elreno area though didn't get much at all maybe .60 in 60 days now

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Mike Morgan basically said October might not get any rain. The East and Southeast part of OKC, Moore and Norman are in good shape cause of all the rain. Edmond had a lot also. Yukon, Elreno area though didn't get much at all maybe .60 in 60 days now
    Highly doubtful - OKC recorded 0.82" in October 2017 which was the driest October since 1994. The pattern looks like it will shift mid-month. Also worth watching are the tropics in the Eastern Pacific - sometimes this time of year we can get moisture as those systems move up and over Mexico.

Crazy to see the difference between nearby Mesonet sites..

Feel like this situation is becoming desperate for some of us. If we go the entire month of October without rain, things are going to get ugly around here.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Feel like this situation is becoming desperate for some of us. If we go the entire month of October without rain, things are going to get ugly around here.
    Welcome to the new reality. At least we're not directly in the path of hurricanes, which are most likely going to be stronger, larger, and last longer.

With all of the GOM tropical party continuing to heat up, this is going to put the southern plains into some great weather temperature-wise. And yes, like many posters have mentioned, the drought will continue to build until we can get that moisture back up from the gulf.

Thread Information