Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: September 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: September 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Another swing and a miss for a tropical system in Oklahoma. Just like Beryl and Francine we are about 400 miles too far west. The mid-South is also in a severe drought so this is beneficial rain for those areas.

Next 10 days look clear and dry with above-average temps. Our next system arrives around 10/10-11

GFS next 10 days
    My house just got 7 inches of rain, so I can't complain. But yes, the rest of the state's in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    My house just got 7 inches of rain, so I can't complain. But yes, the rest of the state's in bad shape.
    Seems like years ago, when it got rainy, the rain amounts would be more equally distributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Seems like years ago, when it got rainy, the rain amounts would be more equally distributed.
    I agree even if that's purely anecdotal. For example during the past week midtown Tulsa had just over 2" while the airport only recorded 0.3". Examples of those kinds of varied totals across the state.

I know some of you all got some good rains but we really do need some good regionally soaking rain events. Kinda thinking our best bet is going to be some good snowfall events the winter. However, seeing as how snow is getting more and more rare around here, I don’t see that as a likely outcome.

Looking at the current satellite radar is depressing. Literally between 350-400 miles separates us from a drought-ending all-day rainfall event with the remnants of Helene. One of those "what if" scenarios if the hurricane had hit closer to the MS/AL coast we would be seeing 3-4" of widespread rainfall across Oklahoma and be in great shape heading into our driest months. As it stands we really need a wet October or we could be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Looking at the current satellite radar is depressing. Literally between 350-400 miles separates us from a drought-ending all-day rainfall event with the remnants of Helene. One of those "what if" scenarios if the hurricane had hit closer to the MS/AL coast we would be seeing 3-4" of widespread rainfall across Oklahoma and be in great shape heading into our driest months. As it stands we really need a wet October or we could be in trouble.
    I mean, 350 miles is from here to KC. Not exactly close.

There are some more storms chasing Helene, maybe we could get some rain out of those...if they go the right way ( not that I'm wishing for destruction for anyone) maybe some rain is likely?

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I mean, 350 miles is from here to KC. Not exactly close.
    Close enough that NE OK has cloud cover from it

Thread Information