Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Blog Entries

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I wonder how likely this is to happen. It would be great for the OKC metro to get a second Whole Foods, but this area seems a weird place for it.

Thank you for sharing, Pete!
    Seems like a high growth area with good infrastructure that wouldn’t siphon business from their other store.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Seems like a high growth area with good infrastructure that wouldn’t siphon business from their other store.
    That's fair. I guess I figured they would go to the Quail Springs area, or even closer to downtown Edmond. But you are right.

I would've also guessed closer to downtown Edmond, but Quail Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    I would've also guessed closer to downtown Edmond, but Quail Springs?
    everything else goes there, except a specialty grocer. I meant more along the Memorial corridor, not just Quail Springs. Just the first thing I thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    everything else goes there, except a specialty grocer. I meant more along the Memorial corridor, not just Quail Springs. Just the first thing I thought of.
    I think area with the housing currently being built or already built where not much is under 500k is going to bring in income levels to attract some of these type of retailers to build in this area.

Also knowing the map is conceptual as they work the deals, the large store south of Braums would be good spot for Home Depot. With all the development occurring it seems to be a good spot if I were betting. The current Home Depot is far away being located on broadway.
    The covell and Waterloo areas are prime locations to attack all the growing East Edmond residents plus Guthrie residents

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I think area with the housing currently being built or already built where not much is under 500k is going to bring in income levels to attract some of these type of retailers to build in this area.

Also knowing the map is conceptual as they work the deals, the large store south of Braums would be good spot for Home Depot. With all the development occurring it seems to be a good spot if I were betting. The current Home Depot is far away being located on broadway.
    The covell and Waterloo areas are prime locations to attack all the growing East Edmond residents plus Guthrie residents
    Would much rather see Lowes than Home Depot. Yes, I know there is one 4.5-5 miles away but this one would attract Guthrie, Edmond, Arcadia and other towns.

I do think a Trader Joes could also follow the WF which would also be a huge hit in this area. It makes a ton of sense to go here as the surrounding area has exploded with housing with HHI above 150K. With the new elementary and middle school in the next few years, the area will see additional growth in housing and more office parks filling out.

I also think the restaurant and shops will go fast as this area is primed for the growth.

Lastly, this area will also be impacted by the upcoming GO bonds vote as Covell would see improvements/expansions in the surrounding areas making traffic movement easier.

was hoping specialty grocer would take the space Dicks leaves behind

I have heard that TJs is actively looking in this area. Can't wait, this is exciting for the area.

trader joe’s is looking in I-35 area or elsewhere in edmond?

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    trader joe’s is looking in I-35 area or elsewhere in edmond?
    The Covell/I35 area. The WF has materialized so now I have no reason do doubt the TJs which I had heard along with WF about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Actually, I (and probably a lot of other shoppers) hope the new store *does* siphon off customers from the Classen Curve location - it's crazy busy a lot of the time.

Do you think the neighborhood Walmart that was initially supposed to go on covel and Coltrane might renew interest in this area or is it too much competition

Before signing a lease, most grocers exclude the developer from direct competition.

It's rare you see two grocers of any type in the same shopping center.

Man, look at all of that parking in the plat, what a waste of space and no attempt to make this development at all walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Before signing a lease, most grocers exclude the developer from direct competition.

Would that include the SW corner of Covell and Sooner? Maybe the Trader Joe’s could go there?

There were initially plans for an apartment complex back when the original hotel were built. It included a pedestrian paseo between the hotel and movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Would that include the SW corner of Covell and Sooner? Maybe the Trader Joe’s could go there?
    Different developer. I don’t think the SW corner is big enough parcels however. They are more like small restaurant pads

My observations are Trader Joe's seems to fill in retail space in established, higher income areas rather than build in the path of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    My observations are Trader Joe's seems to fill in retail space in established, higher income areas rather than build in the path of growth.
    This area has both of those. There is a bunch of high income housing well established in the area along with significant growth of more high income housing.

Edmond has a lack of available box box store locations readily available. Only two larger layout locations I can think that is currently available is the old Ace space at North Oaks and that center is dated and not as high of income area and the half mile to west is low density with lots of fields which hurts the population numbers in the 1 mil distance that retailers look at.
    The other is the old half price book location which would be the perfect size for TJ at 10,000 sq feet except it’s just feet from a Walmart neighborhood market in same center which might not be what they want even though I feel they are completely different.

Edmond needs this covell &35 project and then the sayler project at Kelly and covell to get some spaces built for retailers to grab. Doesn’t appear space currently sits empty in Edmond long when it does open up.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Edmond has a lack of available box box store locations readily available. Only two larger layout locations I can think that is currently available is the old Ace space at North Oaks and that center is dated and not as high of income area and the half mile to west is low density with lots of fields which hurts the population numbers in the 1 mil distance that retailers look at.
    The other is the old half price book location which would be the perfect size for TJ at 10,000 sq feet except it’s just feet from a Walmart neighborhood market in same center which might not be what they want even though I feel they are completely different.

Edmond needs this covell &35 project and then the sayler project at Kelly and covell to get some spaces built for retailers to grab. Doesn’t appear space currently sits empty in Edmond long when it does open up.
    I agree with your post. Edmond is lacking updated retail locations and the ones you spoke of are in dire need of massive renovations but like you mentioned the house count is not as high as it would need to be. Covell can become a retail corridor from I35 to Sante Fe with significant opportunity for additional growth. With the completion of the Covell expansion to min 4 lanes (2 each direction) the area will completely take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

You're absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    This area has both of those. There is a bunch of high income housing well established in the area along with significant growth of more high income housing.
    I'm talking about 30-100 year old neighborhoods deep inside populated zones. Not just populated on half the sides. Look up their locations in other cities in this region like Dallas and Denver.

Steve Latemeyer at it again.

It's sad how he claims to be a downtown reporter and when asked about out-lying projects he answers, "I don't cover this area". Then, something comes out on OKCTalk and suddenly he's an expert, no matter where it is.

25. Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Sounds about Steve.

Thread Information