Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State Fair

Default Re: State Fair

It seems broccoli heads are the new in thing.

2. Default Re: State Fair

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    We will go probably 3 times this year. We really enjoy eating the different foods and people watching. We also enjoy some of the free concerts.
    Tuesday is "Taste of the Fair": $4 gate admission and food vendors will have a $4 option to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    It seems broccoli heads are the new in thing.
    What's not to like? This and a little ranch dressing.

What has happen to the state fair? Now in all honesty I haven't been since probably 2017 but went tonight from 5-9:30 walked around went and saw Morris Day and the Time and that place seemed empty. The concert areas was pretty full but There were hardly any lines for food. Walking around the exhibits was easy. Also when did it become mostly people just sailing homemade stuff or jewelry cookware etc ? Is guess the home and garden show is for more home stuff but just seemed like a lot less exhibits of home improvement or landscaping than in the past. Fair food also just doesn't do it for me. I know it's expensive but it's not good expensive it that makes sense. Also went looking for a Shed. I figured there be 2 or 3 different shed companies there nope only 1. So maybe it's just me but just didn't seem the same as years ago.

Went yesterday. Very light crowd. Tried the carne asada mexican street corn and it was very good, Worthy enough to add into my fair rotation. Bennett Building seemed the same. Car building has gotten ever more sad this year, There was Ford, Dodge, Jeep,, Toyota and Hyundai. That was it,

Big surprise was to see one of the beer booths with full liquor (Makers, crown, vodka, etc). It is the old jamaican me crazy that is back by the main stage, Didn't see liquor any where else.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    was my thoughts the last time i went, which was 2019. i just have no desire to go anymore, i used to love walking through all the exhibit halls for hours, but it just seems like all of those have gone way downhill in terms of quality of vendors
    90% of the vendors are the same every year…..and most of the time even in the exact same location!

My observations after attending the State Fair yesterday 9/18/24 (Senior Day). The crowd seemed smaller than last year but still a lot of people. Seemed to be less food vendors. Seemed to be less vendors in the buildings. It is still a PITA getting into the fair from the Reno entrance. You have to walk all the way down to the back side of the horse barn and then cut through it to get into the fair. And it smells lovely. I hope it goes back to somewhat how it was after the new arena is finished and the old one removed. About 1/2 of the automatic handicapped doors on the buildings don't/didn't work. This is inexcusable when there is so much time to prepare for the fair and so many people that need to use them. The bathrooms in the Bennett Building are acceptable but could use some work. The bathrooms in the horse barn were the 2nd best. The bathrooms in all the other buildings we went in are just disgusting and need a total remodel and update. There has to be money for this for what they charge for attendance and vendor fees. This needs to get done. Overall we had a good time and will go again next year on Senior Day again.

8. Default Re: State Fair

My observations after attending the State Fair yesterday 9/18/24 (Senior Day). The crowd seemed smaller than last year but still a lot of people. Seemed to be less food vendors. Seemed to be less vendors in the buildings. It is still a PITA getting into the fair from the Reno entrance. You have to walk all the way down to the back side of the horse barn and then cut through it to get into the fair. And it smells lovely. I hope it goes back to somewhat how it was after the new arena is finished and the old one removed. About 1/2 of the automatic handicapped doors on the buildings don't/didn't work. This is inexcusable when there is so much time to prepare for the fair and so many people that need to use them. The bathrooms in the Bennett Building are acceptable but could use some work. The bathrooms in the horse barn were the 2nd best. The bathrooms in all the other buildings we went in are just disgusting and need a total remodel and update. There has to be money for this for what they charge for attendance and vendor fees. This needs to get done. Overall we had a good time and will go again next year on Senior Day again.
    I sure hope you write fair officials and report your experiences--good and bad! Nothing will change if they don't hear from people. https://okstatefair.com/contact/

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I sure hope you write fair officials and report your experiences--good and bad! Nothing will change if they don't hear from people. https://okstatefair.com/contact/
    That's a bad take on it. The state fair should *absolutely* have known about the broken doors, bad bathrooms, etc., they should *not* have to rely on the people attending filling out a form. Of course, that can't hurt, but there's no excuse for all that not being fixed before the fair opens (or if they broke/got disgusting during it, they should've found it and fixed it).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's a bad take on it. The state fair should *absolutely* have known about the broken doors, bad bathrooms, etc., they should *not* have to rely on the people attending filling out a form. Of course, that can't hurt, but there's no excuse for all that not being fixed before the fair opens (or if they broke/got disgusting during it, they should've found it and fixed it).
    You have to wonder if they spent anytime at all testing bathrooms or doors before the fair or if things broke during the fair and they don't want to pay someone overtime to fix things after hours.

I went twice this year, I can't recall ever doing that except maybe as kid with parents/grandparents. Since I have a 5 year old it seemed like perfect opportunity to take her a 2nd time apart from our usual family outing for some one on one. The crowds weren't crazy on Sunday or Tuesday, it was pretty warm but not miserable so that was good. Obviously the prices for stuff are ridiculous but it's a rare experience one a year so I didn't really mind. I think I paid $16 for a lemonade and cheese stick at one stand oof.

12. Default Re: State Fair

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, okay, it's a bad take. Whatever. Of course they should have known about that stuff! But if you see stuff wrong, you report it! Give me a break...bad take.

I'm guessing they work to maintain the buildings regularly while over 70,000 people a day attend. But, human nature tells us that substandard facilities during the exact moment we were there must be permanent. If the bathroom is checked, cleaned and restocked every 2 hours, it doesn't matter to me, because it was dirty when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm guessing they work to maintain the buildings regularly while over 70,000 people a day attend. But, human nature tells us that substandard facilities during the exact moment we were there must be permanent. If the bathroom is checked, cleaned and restocked every 2 hours, it doesn't matter to me, because it was dirty when I was there.
    It seems you think I am just being nit picking about the bathrooms and they just happened to be a little unkept when I happened to go in them. . It's not a matter of the bathrooms being dirty. they are old and outdated. Many of the faucets don't work and the stand alone sinks are from 50 years ago. They need to be completely remodeled with modern fixtures and counters. Apparently you haven't been in them to just think I was saying they just dirty. One bathroom in particular in the Centennial building just reeked of urine. That shouldn't happen in a modern bathroom. The bathrooms in the Bennett building didn't.

It seems you think I am just being nit picking about the bathrooms and they just happened to be a little unkept when I happened to go in them. . It's not a matter of the bathrooms being dirty. they are old and outdated. Many of the faucets don't work and the stand alone sinks are from 50 years ago. They need to be completely remodeled with modern fixtures and counters. Apparently you haven't been in them to just think I was saying they just dirty. One bathroom in particular in the Centennial building just reeked of urine. That shouldn't happen in a modern bathroom. The bathrooms in the Bennett building didn't.
    I mean no disrespect or offense. I agree that many bathrooms are old in the Fairgrounds, and could use an update. A bathroom that has stalls with broken door latches, missing doors or seats is a real, immediate need. I don't think that is the issue at the Fairgrounds. Missing toilet paper, paper towels, soap, or clogged and dirty areas are also a real need. I think the janitorial staff there is doing an okay job keeping up the daily use.

Make no mistake, I fully believe there are many bathrooms there that could use a full makeover. I "think" it would cost over $100,000 to work over each bathroom there. They probably have sewer and vent lines that need to be dug up and replaced; water lines that are inside the concrete block walls and are so corroded they don't flow; electrical service that is no longer up to snuff, etc. Management then looks at the failings of the rest of the 60-year old building and decides to replace the whole structure. So they decide to hold off on the bathroom remodel. See if it can limp along a few more years, right?

The long term "vision" is probably to demolish the buildings they have not already replaced. Broken handicap buttons is a problem though....

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The long term "vision" is probably to demolish the buildings they have not already replaced. Broken handicap buttons is a problem though....
    Agree that handicap door issues are a real problem that needs an immediate fix. But I don't know if those doors have an automatic shut-off when something blocks the way, and can be reset easily (kind of like escalators) or there is a bigger issue with them. I'm guessing they can be reset.

One issue with one automatic door was the button was actually on the door jamb. So anyone on a scooter or wheelchair had to go right up to the door to push the button then you are directly in the way of the door opening. Whoever thought that was a good idea is just dumb. At the Bennett Building the pole outside the door with the buttons was barely attached to the ground and none of those buttons worked. And there was one building that didn't have any automatic doors at all on one entrance. And on Senior day there were plenty of people that needed them.

Talked to a friend today that has worked security for years at the fair. He has noticed that the crowd size seems way down this year. He thinks it's cause of the age limit thing. Lot's less kids. Should be interesting too see the numbers this year. Minors would go to the fair all the time.

There was a time when schools had Fair Day when you got out of school one day to go to the fair. I can remember being dropped off at the fair by mom and picked up later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Talked to a friend today that has worked security for years at the fair. He has noticed that the crowd size seems way down this year. He thinks it's cause of the age limit thing. Lot's less kids. Should be interesting too see the numbers this year. Minors would go to the fair all the time.
    We noticed what seemed like less people last Saturday when the weather was cooler. Made walking around enjoyable.

In my opinion, it's the costs and what the overall fair offers. As everything has gone up, families and individuals have less disposable income to spend or direct their spending elsewhere. The gate admission is fine, but it's the additional prices once you get in the gate can really add up quickly.

We went for three hours, and dropped $100 on some just okay BBQ, some cotton candy and a pretzel, and a ride or two. Honestly, it really wasn't time or money well spent.

Car shows, AG expositions, and hot tub vendors really don't pull people in like they use to?

^

Even the car show is incredibly lame. I walked through last year and it's a shadow of what it once was.

And don't forget the 537 massage chair vendors!

it was only Ford/Lincoln (1/2 the building), Toyota (1/4 the building) and Hyundai (1/4 the building). The pavilion.

No Canoo's?? Missed opportunity?

I remember when virtually every car make was represented at the fair. Now they have 3 out of what, 20?

Thread Information