Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pappadeaux

Default Re: Pappadeaux

Is there a papadeaux in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth? This is literally why there isn’t any density downtown.
    This restaurant is a suburban concept meant for the Suburbs for Churchies to eat at on the way home. It’s not in any way in keeping with the character that’s grown in the area. Not to mention it’s not very good. I’ve had way better boudin at a a gas station in Lafayette.

The location in Dallas that is closest to downtown is 3520 Oak Lawn. It is about two miles north of downtown Dallas. Think more along the lines of Uptown OKC. Below is the street view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pappadeaux dt dallas.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	19157

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Is there a papadeaux in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth? This is literally why there isn’t any density downtown.
    This restaurant is a suburban concept meant for the Suburbs for Churchies to eat at on the way home. It’s not in any way in keeping with the character that’s grown in the area. Not to mention it’s not very good. I’ve had way better boudin at a a gas station in Lafayette.
    Yes, there is a location near Turtle Creek in Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The location in Dallas that is closest to downtown is 3520 Oak Lawn. It is about two miles north of downtown Dallas. Think more along the lines of Uptown OKC. Below is the street view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pappadeaux dt dallas.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	19157
    Oak Lawn Ave is very similar to NW 23 though it is rapidly urbanizing in certain areas like around the Cedar Springs intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Oak Lawn Ave is very similar to NW 23 though it is rapidly urbanizing in certain areas like around the Cedar Springs intersection.
    I should have been more specific, I meant really in terms of distance, more than anything

I wonder how long that location in Dallas has been there. It looks left over from a bygone era. But I may be incorrect.

Anyway, I am reminded of a Maya Angelou quote.
    "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

A building that is tolerated because it is already in existence is one thing. This is brand-new construction on one of the most important urban roads in the city. We know better in the year 2024. We should do better.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Oaklawn is north of uptown. That restaurant is probably older than the Infill. There are skyscrapers in most neighborhoods or satellite cities in Dallas. Most of which are new. The oaklawn location was probably a surburban location at the time of build. OKC needs a density policy concerning sprawl and parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Seems like it is better than the perennially vacant grass field that is there now and is on the outskirts of downtown, not in the center.
    Realistically, I think the real issue people have here is what was originally proposed for that entire lot and now this is the only thing confirmed to have any movement on. Had this been in the original plans or separate/prior to the rest of it I would imagine there would be a different response.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    Realistically, I think the real issue people have here is what was originally proposed for that entire lot and now this is the only thing confirmed to have any movement on. Had this been in the original plans or separate/prior to the rest of it I would imagine there would be a different response.
    With respect, a lot of us would have had issues with this site plan regardless of when it had been proposed. It's not a matter of timing, it's a matter of urban form. It does not help that it feels like a bait and switch but it would have been bad design regardless.

I really don't know anything about the design districts and the review process but this situation is going to cause me to get some education on the subject. It would seem that something needs updated. 16th and Broadway deserves urban design, not suburban design. I think the powers-that-be probably know this intuitively but don't have a code mechanism to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    With respect, a lot of us would have had issues with this site plan regardless of when it had been proposed. It's not a matter of timing, it's a matter of urban form. It does not help that it feels like a bait and switch but it would have been bad design regardless.

I really don't know anything about the design districts and the review process but this situation is going to cause me to get some education on the subject. It would seem that something needs updated. 16th and Broadway deserves urban design, not suburban design. I think the powers-that-be probably know this intuitively but don't have a code mechanism to stand on.
    North of 13th and east of Broadway to 235 are not in a design district: https://www.okc.gov/departments/plan...sign-districts

Guess it was because it was historically industrial or something? Seems like an oversight considering everything else surrounding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You would think The Half would have been the perfect location or the property they already own on Memorial.

They will do great anywhere, but this site is just very strange.
    It is kinda weird. They sit on a piece of land for ten years that is perfect for this type of build / concept, and then they just copy and paste it onto this site that was supposed to be an urban concept.

Like you said, it will do great, but if they end up building on the Memorial location and/or in other suburban communities, I'd imagine a lot of their clientele will just go to the ones closer to their neighborhood and then there's just an odd ball development left on Broadway that does so-so business.

Is this just a Cheesecake Factory version of Pearl's? I always felt like these are concepts that locations on the canal should go after. That is, corporate chain restaurants with broad brand appeal in touristy areas, but maybe the lack of on site parking makes them nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Is this just a Cheesecake Factory version of Pearl's? I always felt like these are concepts that locations on the canal should go after. That is, corporate chain restaurants with broad brand appeal in touristy areas, but maybe the lack of on site parking makes them nervous.
    As successful as this is going to be at this location I feel a Lower Bricktown location would have made ungodly amounts of money. Not that it was even an option, but still.

And yes lack of parking would have probably scared them off. Which seems hilarious if you think about Lower Bricktown, but whatever.

Edit: Lower Bricktown has a website and it advertises that it has 2400 free parking spaces and has the tagline, “Pay to Play, Not to Park.” Amazing.

I’m on the fence with this one. Hell, I would’ve advocated for a suburban style development on the producers. Co-op site site. It would’ve brought in a grocery store and tons of other chains and it probably would’ve been extremely successful sitting right at the crossroads of America. In 15 to 25 years or so it can be torn down and redeveloped when the demand warrants. But right now we have so many vacant lots in the districts we do have, Let alone situations like Strawberry Fields and Lower Bricktown. And I know this is gonna stir the pot up here, but Bricktown isn’t all that exciting. More could be done there too.

Focusing on the initial rendering which showed in urban mixed use village, which would’ve been cool, I think that would’ve been better on that giant parking lot on Reno in Bricktown next to the Coca-Cola place.

Also don’t think people here would be as mad about the site plan had the original one not been proposed. I don’t think it matters all that much where this restaurant goes but it definitely will kill it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    As successful as this is going to be at this location I feel a Lower Bricktown location would have made ungodly amounts of money. Not that it was even an option, but still.

And yes lack of parking would have probably scared them off. Which seems hilarious if you think about Lower Bricktown, but whatever.

Edit: Lower Bricktown has a website and it advertises that it has 2400 free parking spaces and has the tagline, “Pay to Play, Not to Park.” Amazing.
    With all the hotel rooms that have been added to Bricktown since the canal was built, I'd think Bricktown proper would do well with these type of places now, too. I guess there are a couple, but nationally familiar brands seem like a natural.

yeah this is a bummer to me. this is an extremely suburban-style chain restaurant that in my opinion, has no business being in this location. bricktown maybe, but not here. agree with the bait and switch comment above. disappointed in planning commission for pushing this one through!

Are there really people in here who don't think it will be successful, money-wise?

for this development to pull this national chain without any dirt moved is very impressive. Big things to come here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie1234 View Post
    for this development to pull this national chain without any dirt moved is very impressive. Big things to come here I think.
    You mean big parking lot

Look some people from Edmond might go on the weekends. But it’s not gonna be the “it” place of Oklahoma City. Lower your expectations it’ll be like Cheesecake Factory or macaroni grill. It’s a franchise invading a neighborhood that has character where franchises don’t belong. Let’s throw up another franchise I haven’t been to TGIF or BWW in there. Apparently buffalo wings come without bones now., pappadeaux should’ve come to memorial 10 years ago. I would rather they not come to AA /uptown at all. I wish they’d passed on okc. We have our on thing going on we don’t need pappadeaux

We went to a Pappas BBQ, which is the same chain, in Houston earlier this year. It was okay and fairly good but it wasn't kick ass.

Mixed feelings. Super glad that Pappadeaux is finally moving forward on their plans to come to OKC, and barring some serious unforseen issue they're gonna print money. I know it's gonna go into my regular rotation too! But good god that site plan is depressing for that location, especially considering the more urban development that was originally proposed here. I really wish they had at least pushed the building to the street and hid the parking behind it instead of opting for suburban-style laziness like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    We went to a Pappas BBQ, which is the same chain, in Houston earlier this year. It was okay and fairly good but it wasn't kick ass.
    Btw, i am told there is a Pappdeaux in the central business district in Houston

The one we went to was close to Hobby Airport.

I wonder if they'll start with validated parking or move to that in 2035 after people abuse that lot to go to the other cool stuff in the area?

There isn't a restaurant chain in the world that I would want badly enough to be okay with that site plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I wonder if they'll start with validated parking or move to that in 2035 after people abuse that lot to go to the other cool stuff in the area?

There isn't a restaurant chain in the world that I would want badly enough to be okay with that site plan.
    Yeah, the site plan really affects the quality of the food.

Thread Information