Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basements in Oklahoma

Default Re: Basements in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I'm at the southern edge of Warr Acres. I have a well just for outdoor use watering. The water level in my well is at 14ft but it was drilled to 125ft. And I'm originally from Chicago where everyone in my family had a basement. Usually finished out with nice walls, floor and ceiling.
    That's good info! Have learned a couple good things in this thread.

2. Default Re: Basements in Oklahoma

yes, very educational
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    This is the answer I have gotten most often from people who are true experts in construction around here, because they have soil issues in other places around the country where basements are much more common, so that answer never held water for me. You can build one for a custom home around here, but for spec houses, it is not worth the extra cost here, you simply don't need it because of the frost line, as you stated. No matter where I have had them, in New England, in Missouri, they have always had issues, so as much as I love them for the extra space, they aren't worth the potential trouble, in my opinion.
    Just a couple of observations:

Wouldn't a neighborhood with basements require deeper sewer lines (deeper than maybe is standard in OKC) below the level of the bottom of the basement?

Comparing construction methods in the era of old neighborhoods like Gatewood or Heritage Hills to what is available today, l would have to think watertight basements could be built more economically than you might think. However in areas where the water table isn't high, you may have sandstone to contend with and vice-versa.

Since basements are not common in OKC, is there a possible shortage of experienced builders?

Are there any new neighborhoods where basements are being built?

4. Default Re: Basements in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post

Wouldn't a neighborhood with basements require deeper sewer lines (deeper than maybe is standard in OKC) below the level of the bottom of the basement?

Comparing construction methods in the era of old neighborhoods like Gatewood or Heritage Hills to what is available today, l would have to think watertight basements could be built more economically than you might think. However in areas where the water table isn't high, you may have sandstone to contend with and vice-versa.

Since basements are not common in OKC, is there a possible shortage of experienced builders?

1. Possibly, yes, but sewer mains are usually built at a depth that would allow it. If not, a basement can still be drained into a sewage/macerator pump, which grinds solid waste and injects the effluent into the lateral line (the sewer line that runs from the house to the main). This is a very common solution.
    2. You’re absolutely correct that newer technologies now make basements eminently possible, even on sites where the soil is not especially conducive.
    3. 100%. The lack of experienced builders/contractors is a result of generations of building exclusively on slabs. It’s now the most inexpensive and relatively easiest method of building, and it meets code in Oklahoma whereas in colder markets deeper stem walls are required. So for generations of contractors it’s the only way they know.
    4. Not that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    It's kind of funny because basements make so much sense in Oklahoma with the tornadoes. But, like Wu-Tang said... CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me). So, we go up instead.
    Dolla dolla bills ya'll

Probably my favorite thread on OKCTalk. Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    In addition to the clay/soil we sit on we also have a high water table here in OK. Practically every basement has had some major problems- flooding, structural work to name a couple of the more common ones. Considering it's mostly historic/old homes that have them guessing builders figured out they don't work very well here and quit doing it many decades ago.
    Used to own a house on about 55th and Meridian. The previous owners had dug a basement. It continually flooded. I was glad when we finally sold it and moved on. Water tables are too high that area, at least. Don't think I'd want another basement in OKC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post

Yes, but i think the majority of basements in new construction probably represent the builder’s solution to grading / slope issues. That is, they aren’t necessarily going out of their way to build basements but sometimes a basement makes far more sense than hauling in millions of $$ in dirt to make a lot suitable for a more traditional floorplan.

You’ll notice that almost all of these new basements are walkouts, which probably alleviates some of the flooding and engineering issues you might encounter with a fully enclosed basement.

Here’s an example. This neighborhood has 7 basement lots: https://www.alliemoorerealestate.com/blank-page-1

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Used to own a house on about 55th and Meridian. The previous owners had dug a basement. It continually flooded. I was glad when we finally sold it and moved on. Water tables are too high that area, at least. Don't think I'd want another basement in OKC anyway.
    That is about 1 mile north of the 14ft water in my well.

Thread Information