Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Fair

Default State Fair

I am not sure this is the right area but was wondering if anyone was planning to enter anything in the state fair? I've got some quilts I plan to enter.

Default Re: State Fair

Not even planning on entering the gates, let alone a contest, but luck to you all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Not even planning on entering the gates, let alone a contest, but luck to you all the same.
    Ohh come on! You gotta go for the turkey legs!!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Ohh come on! You gotta go for the turkey legs!!
    Nah, can get better turkey at Van's and a pile of brisket and sausage too, just so the other parts of the plate don't feel left out. I'm kind to plates like that.

Missin out on the absolute best part of the fair

People watchin

Jeff Foxworthy once said something to the effect, "If you think your family has problems, go to the state fair and after a few minutes you will realize you aren't doing so bad''. I am always fascinated by where people people come from and how some can afford to go to the fair. I love the state fair though, even though I mentioned in another thread I do not like some of the changes over the years. My favorite food item is the Italian Sausage Sandwiches with peppers and grilled onions. I also like the Pork Loin Sandwich from the Oklahoma Pork Producer's booth. I am ready for the fair to start.

Bigray in Ok

Well, I am about ready for some rain so the fair must be due. I like the funnel cakes, the livestock exhibitions, the mobile home exhibitions (don't ask me why but I do), etc. I avoid the Midway and the rides but it is such a tradition that I like to go - but hate the parking.

8. Default Re: State Fair

Not sure if I will be able to go this year. Mom got her foot pain (same as last year), so I may make her to use a wheelchair (like I did for Mother's Day at the Zoo). For me, I have just ordered $200 worth of fish (these are rare, special, blah blah blah from Lake Malawi) and plus new tank and equipments. That is a lot of money for my hobby. Plus I just paid the $176 bench warrant to avoid arrest (stupid police). *sighs* What a world.

9. Default Re: State Fair

Hey if you wanna see the people from the fair, you don't have to wait. Just go to walmart!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Not sure if I will be able to go this year. Mom got her foot pain (same as last year), so I may make her to use a wheelchair (like I did for Mother's Day at the Zoo). For me, I have just ordered $200 worth of fish (these are rare, special, blah blah blah from Lake Malawi) and plus new tank and equipments. That is a lot of money for my hobby. Plus I just paid the $176 bench warrant to avoid arrest (stupid police). *sighs* What a world.

Huh?

Thought you all might find this interesting. The Michigan State Fair is no more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100901/...FkaXRpb25lbmQ-

This year, he and his family are home after Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm canceled the fair, saying debt-ridden Michigan could no longer afford to subsidize it. Granholm's decision makes Michigan the only Midwestern state and one of few nationwide without a state fair.

The Michigan State Fair had been a state tradition for 160 years and held at Eight Mile and Woodward, within Detroit city limits, since 1905. But the fair had been running deficits and needed $360,000 from the state in 2008 to cover losses. Fewer than 220,000 people passed through last year. At its peak in 1966, the fair drew 1 million.

12. Default Re: State Fair

Sucks for Michigan. I find it funny that they did not hold a rally to collect donations. A dollar or two from every person would greatly help. Hell even plenty of them being able to donate 5 or 10 bux.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Sucks for Michigan. I find it funny that they did not hold a rally to collect donations. A dollar or two from every person would greatly help. Hell even plenty of them being able to donate 5 or 10 bux.
    Or instead of donations, they could have just attended the fair. If you read the article the head of the Minnesota State Fair has pretty good insight into what went wrong in Michigan.

I worry that someday the fair will go away. As it is, wuite of a bit of it is tradition left from an earlier, more agricultural period. Oh well.

15. Default Re: State Fair

Reviving this since the fair starts this week.
    If you choose to pay for parking (or tickets at the gate) the fair is now cashless. You'll need a credit/ debt card to pay. The vendors can still accept cash, and ATM machines are still there. But the fair itself will not.

We went last year after not attending for several years. It’s just not worth going anymore. The food was way overpriced and the exhibits were not all that great.

I miss PennyQuilts. Her profile shows last activity 11-20-2015.

18. Default Re: State Fair

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I miss PennyQuilts. Her profile shows last activity 11-20-2015.
    Yes, I saw that too when I found this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    We went last year after not attending for several years. It’s just not worth going anymore. The food was way overpriced and the exhibits were not all that great.
    I was surprised to see the turkey legs for $18 a piece last year. That used to be one of the things I would always get but now I don't.

That brings up the question.....what is everyone's must have at the fair?

1, Pronto dog (the long one...not the short one)
    2. Dan's Indian Taco
    3. Chicken on a stick (The one booth where they put a roll on the end)
    4. Curly fry basket

Gone and haven't found suitable replacement:

1 Pork Council Pork sandwich
    2. Sammys Pizza/calazone

Everything is overpriced for what you get at The fair but it's a once a year thing so we just go and don't worry about what we spend. We have to get at least one corn dog or pronto dog and one strawberry crepe and the rest what ever we see that sounds good at the time. We try and get at one thing we have never had and the wife and I split a lot of items so we can try more stuff. One thing I had a couple of years ago that was a huge disappointment was the deep fried twinkie. It was I think $8 and was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    was my thoughts the last time i went, which was 2019. i just have no desire to go anymore, i used to love walking through all the exhibit halls for hours, but it just seems like all of those have gone way downhill in terms of quality of vendors

We also go on Senior day when it's free to get in for us. The last few years we've been renting the little electric scooters too.

We will go probably 3 times this year. We really enjoy eating the different foods and people watching. We also enjoy some of the free concerts.

Yes people watching. We used to count mullets but lately there doesn't seem to be near as many as years ago.

25. Default Re: State Fair

Mullets are more en vogue right now than they have been since the 1980s...I'll bet mullet spotting at this year's fair will be off the chain.

Thread Information