Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

Blog Entries

OK River Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

IIRC these bond packages are 10 years - 2007 - 2017 - 2027

What would you like to see on bonds package exceeding $1 billion:

1. Dome or retractable roof football stadium - 75,000 seats--barebones minimum $400 million . . .
    . . . (Oklahoma Riverfront or Old Producers COOP Mill site)
    2. Downtown Space Tower 1,000 feet tall - taller than Devon Tower $60 million.
    3. Indoor Olympic pool - On site with PSM (Old Myriad) and new NBA arena - Budget $2 million
    (Select one from three above or submit you own with estimated cost*)

Will Oklahoma City be ready to take on a massive development like a dome or retractable roof stadium
    that could bid on the NCAA Final Four.

*Or what project would you like to see in this future package.

2. Default Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

Honestly all the stuff you have above doesn't make sense. The new soccer stadium is going on the COOP space. And we sure as heck do not need a 75k football stadium for that team we are NEVER going to get. That would be a complete waste of money. Space needle, ok cool, but no one builds those anymore. It's a fad that's gone by the wayside and the city sure as heck shouldnt' be the one to build a tourist attraction (which is what it is). And what are you going to do with the pool? If anything, we're seeing the city get OUT of the pool space. Rose State and OCCC both closed their aquatics where the people that used it, are forced to the YMCA in their area. More schools have closed their own pools for liability reasons and also pushed to the Y. It's gonna sit and rot.

Roads, always roads. So many roads that need help....badly.

More sidewalks.

Honestly, mostly infrastructure stuff. As we grow out, we need to beef it up or add new stations for things to be able to support the new populations. Just telling everyone to go Septic shouldn't be a long-term solution, for example. Forward look to what we can do with trash. We're going to run out of Mt Trashmore locations and what?

Create a fund to help subsidize getting solar on to commercial rooftops to keep the power distribution moving to green. The residential programs are complete crap still. You're just paying Peter instead of Paul but Peter is still helping out OG&E anyway since you can't run your home off it. It's just distributed generation. No thanks. I want that battery bank to run my home from it and then my leftovers can go to OG&E thank you very much. Anyway.....

Public transit.....We have to get in front of this with better solutions. The rail thing just doesn't look like its going to really ever happen. But the busses aren't helpful in a lot of areas. When was the last time you saw one of those large busses with even half a load in them too? Seems like to me a smaller vehicle in a larger fleet would allow for more frequent stops at each location. And "connectors" between areas of town where you dont always have to connect like a dang airplane hub somewhere first. I realize it's a chicken and egg thing but gotta start somewhere and know that it's also going to be a "utility" and not a profit seeking venture.

Default Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

Sidewalks, transit, roads, money for various bits of preparation for the Olympics is what I would expect to see and is generally what we need.

Nature park, public/teaching garden focused on natives, recreation centers, finish the south outer loop trail - all south of the river. Its past time for investment in this part of okc.

very likely it will be half for streets and sidewalks .. (500 mil or so)

this was the 2017 967 mil

Streets and sidewalks ($491 million)
    Traffic control ($28 million)
    Bridges ($27 million)
    Parks and recreation ($138 million)
    Drainage control ($62 million)
    Economic and community development ($60 million)
    Fire ($45 million)
    Police ($31 million)
    Libraries ($24 million)
    Transit ($20 million)
    Civic Center complex ($20 million)
    City maintenance facilities ($13 million)
    Downtown arena ($9 million)

More pickleball courts, please. No matter how many they build, they are always full. It is booming, and OKC is far behind the curve on it.

More parks would be nice, as well. And fixing highway exits.

Blog Entries

The COOP Mill site where the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium is proposed will occupy 7.2 acres. IIRC there's 34-36 acres available on that site. Plenty of room for another stadium if the demand is there. Not looking for NFL in 2030; but OKC could draw a lot of attractions to our city with a stadium protected from our sometimes unpredictable weather.

Space Tower fad serving as an observation deck over the city, true, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Space Tower; however, something high enough to view the city from a 360 degree angle. The most viewed tread on this forum 'The Legend's Tower' which we give less than a 5% chance of getting built has attracted a lot of interest.

The 4 square block PSM site where we will build the new $900 million downtown arena will have ample space to add some more stuff. If Omaha can attract Olympic style events to their city--why not OKC---we're not talking in terms of a YMCA pool. Omaha drains their pool--it's not a year round upkeep that's putting a drain on the city or a local community college.

Agree, City infrastructure is the main source for bonds. We built the Myriad Convention Center with bonds--however by the time we opened it--the arena was downsized from 15,000 permanent seats to 11,200--one of several reasons we lost the NFR; also we were down to one quality DT hotel when the Myriad opened. OKC needs more attractions built in our city if we want to compete with cities on our level and above.

Agree with you on solar and moving more in the direction of green energy.

Public bus transit is all we have for a city that stretches 620 square miles--our city continues to modify our
    bus routes to meet the demand. We have the smaller mini busses that transport throughout our city.

Yeah, they're not going to do anything like that. It is going to be mostly roads, sidewalks and infrastructure improvements. I am not sure of the complexity of it in terms of funding, but the BRT NW seems to be doing well, it is well documented that it will go NE and SW, I wonder if more of that will be useful to the city? Also, they need to make sure ALL the bus stops are upgraded. I can't tell you how many I drive by that are just a sign and a bench.

I would say a small tower, maybe 250 to 300 feet tall. I walked up the Arch Of Triumph in Paris and it was probably that tall. It was a great observation deck for a 360 degree view of Paris.

If ours had it's own theme, and placed on or near Scissortail park, it would be a major attraction.

Note - just checked after the fact, Arch of Triumph is 164 ft tall. So ours could be closer to 200 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    If Omaha can attract Olympic style events to their city--why not OKC---we're not talking in terms of a YMCA pool. Omaha drains their pool--it's not a year round upkeep
    the olympic swimming in omaha was in the downtown 18k basketball arena .... that is why they " drain it" it is a temp pool ..

and they lost the swimming trials to a larger football domed venue .. (and it is very likely they will never go back to a smaller venue ever again)

Better consider what people already living paycheck to paycheck with basic costs just to live going up every day would be willing to vote for.

A City rep told me there will be a new bond vote in 2025.

I know the Devon Park improvements will be part of that.

13. Default Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

They are planning a bond vote for fall or possibly December 2025.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A City rep told me there will be a new bond vote in 2025.

I know the Devon Park improvements will be part of that.
    That means the 2017 bonds will run 8 years ending July 2025.

Still time to do some planning; especially since some funds to accommodate the Olympics are not basic road and street infrastructure. They made exceptions to MAPS (Capital Improvements) with some human infrastructure needs.

LA28 will be another chance to showcase our city. Thanks for the update, Pete and GaryOKC6.

Youth sports facilities. Spend at least $150 million to make our soccer, baseball and at least one indoor basketball/volleyball facility some of the best in the region.

Blog Entries

2017 GO Bonds - $27.5 million was apart of the 4,000 seat upper deck and stadium expansion to Devon Park in 2020.

Now poised to co-host LA28 World Softball Olympic Games and canoe slalom in 1928.

Blog Entries

OK River Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

My memory of the next bonds were vague at the time. Recall when the issue of paying for a new arena came up--a bond issue in 2025 and the upcoming MAPS 4 extension were potential sources of paying for new arena.

We've looked at other cities like San Antonio when they built the Riverwalk. OKC patterned something similar with the 1 mile Bricktown Canal. Our canal, unlike SA's Riverwalk (15 mile stretch) is supported with a concrete bottom. S.A. IIRC is rebuilding their Riverwalk with flood control improvements.

There are many ideas in other cities where an aspiring city like OKC may look to borrow an idea here or there.

We have a new downtown arena in the mix (NBA specs) where more than $900 million - a billion will be invested; let's construct an arena that will be a jewel among arenas in the NBA. Noticed Detroit's Little Caesars' Arena had many different fronts surrounding it.

Many seats are on the lower level.

Honestly, just don't know what to think of the different fronts that surround the arena. OKC will have 4 square blocks to put our arena and parking garage together. Notice the skywalks leading to the arena ^ ^ ^ from the main parking garage.

More improvements are anticipated for Devon Park and Riversport Rapids to host LA28 Olympic softball and canoe slalom. Invest $50 million into getting these facilities ready (Grandstand) for OKC to shine. Will definitely need some kind of shade coverings. It will be OUR TURN in the spotlight with hosting two of those events.

18. Default Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the olympic swimming in omaha was in the downtown 18k basketball arena .... that is why they " drain it" it is a temp pool ..

and they lost the swimming trials to a larger football domed venue .. (and it is very likely they will never go back to a smaller venue ever again)
    Good point there. The temporary pools they build in arenas are completely fine for most everything. Diving can be a bit problematic, but thankfully, we don't have to worry about that in OKC for OK-LA-28. It's a lot of money to run a pool and a LOT of insurance. If we were to do something like this again, I think it would make more sense to go back to Rose or OCCC and partner with them to re-open/renovate their existing facilities. They worked fine for most of the events they were hosting. And they both came with a ton of parking right outside their doors too.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Nature park, public/teaching garden focused on natives, recreation centers, finish the south outer loop trail - all south of the river. Its past time for investment in this part of okc.
    Other Regions have built wetlands to help improve the water quality before it reaches the lakes. Then they have a public teaching component alongside the wetland. The only place this makes sense for OKC is upstream of Overholser as the water that is in Draper originates in SE Oklahoma.

20. Default Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Doesn't this describe the Stinchcomb Wildlife refuge?

Maybe he means like a southside Martin Park.

Blog Entries

OK River Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

A recent design for the MAPS 4 multipurpose stadium.
    MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium construction scheduled to begin 2025 ^ 8,000 seat stadium - Producers COOP Mill site.
    Oklahoma City Council approved using economic development funds to increase the budget for the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium from $41 million to $71 million. Future home for USL Oklahoma City FC.

Design for a larger 20,000-seat city multipurpose stadium.

City should consider an increase in funding from $71 million to $120 million ( +$49 million 2025 bonds) to build a stadium that meets higher specifications. City could host state high school championship in 6A, 5A, 4A . . . in football, boys & girls soccer - many more events.

2025 - construction to improve Devon Park ($30 million include shade covers) and Riversport Rapids ($30 million for grand stands/improvements) for LA28 Olympics; also build a multipurpose stadium. The grand stands for Riversport Rapids could host future events.

Blog Entries

Bricktown3 Re: Next G.O. Bonds Package 2027?

BTW if this next bond package exceeds $1 billion; 3/4th ($750 million) should cover a lot of streets and bridges; not to mention the potential funds from ODOT and the Feds.

Therefore, some bond funds ($49 million*) for a 20,000+ city stadium ($120 million total) and improvements to Devon Park ($30 million*) and the Riversport Rapids ($30 million*).

$109 million will cover 10% of the bond money which will probably total $1.1 billion. City will probably make some improvements to Civic Center Music Hall, cyber technology and more parking garages.

*used estimates twice the funds what may be needed.

I would love to see my neighborhood streets repaved and the drainage improved. A closer public library and a city park. However, I’m not holding my breath as I’m sure some trendy watchadoodle for downtown or NW OKC will take precedence. My neighborhood was built in 1984 and I have to go to Del City, Moore or Midwest City to enjoy a good park or the library. Yet I pay OKC MAPS taxes and see no benefit from it.

Blog Entries

^ ^ ^

Contact the City of Oklahoma City and share your concerns . . .

Thread Information