Widgets Magazine

Thread: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center).

Blog Entries

Northwest OKC Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center).

The owners of the last surviving Big Ed’s Hamburgers in northwest Oklahoma City still refer to the restaurant as No. 14, although all of the other Big Ed’s stores closed years ago.

Camelot Square Shopping Center at 12209 N Pennsylvania Avenue (N.W. 122nd).

Default Re: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center

The Yukon location continued under a different name, The Miller Grill, basically everything was the same other than sign in front of building early on. Though over decades it operated independently added more items to the menu, but ended up shutting down permanently during peak covid.

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The Yukon location continued under a different name, The Miller Grill, basically everything was the same other than sign in front of building early on. Though over decades it operated independently added more items to the menu, but ended up shutting down permanently during peak covid.
    Thanks for info about the ties to Big Ed's. Can't wait to check this out on my next visit to Yukon.

Default Re: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Thanks for info about the ties to Big Ed's. Can't wait to check this out on my next visit to Yukon.
    I am pretty sure they are not coming back, a completely different style restaurant started up in their old location after pandemic restrictions loosened.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am pretty sure they are not coming back, a completely different style restaurant started up in their old location after pandemic restrictions loosened.
    Olde Orchard is in that space now.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

The owners of the last surviving Big Ed’s Hamburgers in northwest Oklahoma City still refer to the restaurant as No. 14, although all of the other Big Ed’s stores closed years ago.

Camelot Square Shopping Center at 12209 N Pennsylvania Avenue (N.W. 122nd).

I have been a few times in the last few months, having not had Big Ed's since I was a kid. The folks running this restaurant still make a great burger. Fries were terrific and the burger is a good, solid, fresh, hamburger. Very inexpensive for lunch, too.

This is one of my favorite burgers around currently. There's an extensive article on the wall detailing the history of the location, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I have been a few times in the last few months, having not had Big Ed's since I was a kid. The folks running this restaurant still make a great burger. Fries were terrific and the burger is a good, solid, fresh, hamburger. Very inexpensive for lunch, too.

This is one of my favorite burgers around currently. There's an extensive article on the wall detailing the history of the location, as well.
    Do they still do the big burger? Were they ever one of those if you eat within a certain time frame...its free?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Do they still do the big burger? Were they ever one of those if you eat within a certain time frame...its free?
    I don't think time frame promotions were ever a thing at Big Ed's, nor did it seem intended to be consumed by only one person. IIRC if eaten in the restaurant you would have a knife to cut it into however many slices the group wanted to divide it.

I think they did when they started in the mid-1970s.

That was a little before my time

11. Default Re: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center

From Dave Cathey’s blog post from last year:
    …The walls are still adorned by pictures of Big Ed himself, including a photo with an early iteration of the Big Ed’s Challenge. The three-pound gimmick burger, which could be had for free if one could down it along with a trough of fries in 45 minutes, eventually evolved when Thomas worked with La Baguette Bakery in Norman to create a round bun 12 inches in diameter…

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I'm not sure if they still do, but I'm guessing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yeah I wonder if they still have the big buns around. I didn't even think about that.

Blog Entries

Northwest OKC Re: Big Ed lives on through last surviving restaurant (Camelot Square Shopping Center

The last time I ate a big burger (Bev Burger) was the last year Beverley's cafeteria N. W. 23rd was open. Took my
    oldest son; he thought he could eat one by himself. Had to get a doggie bag for his half eaten burger.

Thread Information