Widgets Magazine
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2474849505152
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1290

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

This is being operated by one of the most sophisticated tribal business enterprises in North America. Their approach to marketing strategy is not haphazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Not sure why, but the color schemes make me feel like this project was built 20, 30 years ago.
    Agree. The facade on the hotel is about as affordable as one can get. Unfortunately many architects (at the direction of their clients) will try to bedazzle the building in an attempt to compensate for the lack of quality materials that even the untrained eye immediately notices...it rarely works out well and this is no exception. This will age about as well as the outlet mall in West OKC.

The Chickasaws should have used masonry on this...a small cost premium in the grand scheme of things for what is a marquee, legacy project.

My 10-year-old niece will be devastated they didn’t use Carrara marble in the arcade.

Newer/Newish rendering?

Sure looks like a cheap piece of junk if you ask me.

Honestly, pretty close to the initial concept images 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I don't think the 'cracks' are actually cracks. Wasn't there last month, so they were recently added.
    Could it be lighting?

7. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

I’m not a pool expert, but I’ve been around the industry enough to know that some crazing (hairline cracks in the surface) is very normal, and can be influenced by such things as pouring on a hot day, really lengthy pours and other factors. Both of those mentioned factors were surely at play here.

The industry calls them “check cracks,” and the practice is to grind them open a bit more and to use pool putty or some other sealant to fill them. This approach stops them from growing and perhaps further compromising the concrete.

In those photos the cracks APPEAR to be much wider than they actually are, because the sealant is thinly blended at the edges. It also appears that they are first using a black sealant of some sort, and then applying a white leveling/finishing substance over the top of that. It will all completely disappear when they apply liquid membrane, epoxy, pool paint or whatever final treatment they’re using.

I could be completely wrong about all of this, but I believe this is the explanation for the appearance of what appear to be cracks in the most recent photos. The reality is they’re quite normal, and what you’re seeing is actually the result of A LOT of work by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Honestly, pretty close to the initial concept images 3 years ago.

thank you for finding and posting the new Image it is the first one I have seen with the updated pool design ..

going off the old the small (family?) pool looked off ..

now it makes sense

Not sure why, but the color schemes make me feel like this project was built 20, 30 years ago.
    Yeah, a missed opportunity to be a little flashy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bali_Sooner View Post
    Yeah, a missed opportunity to be a little flashy.
    What colors do you suggest?

^^^ Bright and upbeat colors. Something looks a bit more contemporary will better compliment the museum building.

For example this. Again, just talking about the color scheme here not about the project's scale, or we'll easily run into a circular argument.

^^^ Bright and upbeat colors. Something looks a bit more contemporary will better compliment the museum building.

For example this. Again, just talking about the color scheme here not about the project's scale, or we'll easily run into a circular argument.

This looks hideous. I actually like the understated nature of OKANA.

Important to note that the inside of the actual water park has colors and stuff.

Blog Entries

Imho that looks a little garish. Much prefer the exterior design of Okana. The playground colors can be found in the inside water playground.

Sorry guys, I meant the buildings, of course the water slides are always colorful everywhere. I couldn't find photos that better suit OKC's skyline.

Thread Information