Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Going caffeine free

Default Re: Going caffeine free

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Drink more water, ok that's all...
    Extremely well said. If you drink water and take the right amount of L-Theanine, caffeine won’t pose much of a health issue — especially if you are built AF.

Interestingly, most nutritional labels don't even list caffeine.

It's just so strange that such an addictive substance isn't even disclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Interestingly, most nutritional labels don't even list caffeine.

It's just so strange that such an addictive substance isn't even disclosed.
    It really should be a required label on food products in general, instead of only requiring it when there is added caffeine.

Today marks my first month without caffeine.

I hate how hard this has been but that only demonstrates the intense addictive nature of caffeine. And to reiterate, I consumed less than the average person I know and there are many now that slam much more every day.

I've always been a serious morning person but I'm still having trouble getting going when I get out of bed. It seems to be getting easier but I've got a ways to go on that front. However, my afternoons and evenings are better and my energy has definitely evened out. My sleep is significantly better, and that's a big deal.

My goal is to go a full 90 days with zero caffeine, so still two months to go. From what I've learned from others on this journey, it takes that long for your body to mostly adjust; a year or more for complete freedom. It makes sense when I consider I've been on that substance for 30 years.

Based on this experience, I worry about those who have been taking in more (and often, much more) over a longer period. It seems the amount consumed just keeps going up with time.

5. Default Re: Going caffeine free

Today marks my first month without caffeine.

I hate how hard this has been but that only demonstrates the intense addictive nature of caffeine. And to reiterate, I consumed less than the average person I know and there are many now that slam much more every day.

I've always been a serious morning person but I'm still having trouble getting going when I get out of bed. It seems to be getting easier but I've got a ways to go on that front. However, my afternoons and evenings are better and my energy has definitely evened out. My sleep is significantly better, and that's a big deal.

My goal is to go a full 90 days with zero caffeine, so still two months to go. From what I've learned from others on this journey, it takes that long for your body to mostly adjust; a year or more for complete freedom. It makes sense when I consider I've been on that substance for 30 years.

Based on this experience, I worry about those who have been taking in more (and often, much more) over a longer period. It seems the amount consumed just keeps going up with time.
    The point on the length of time to get completely over it brings back memories. I got up to about a can a day of Skoal at one point in my 20s. My dentist convinced me of what it was doing to my gums and I got determined to quit. A couple years and a few tries later I finally threw my last can ever in the trash. But. For months I could smell wintergreen and badly want some. For a couple years if drinking beer and seeing someone with Skoal I had to hold myself back. That was 40 years ago and occasionally I still get an urge to do it "just this once". I haven't though.
    Caffeine doesn't seem to do anything to me. No effects that it's supposed to bring when drinking/eating things that are high in it. Zero noticeable effects if I drink a coffee and Coke for awhile and then for whatever reason stop. Usually the reason is I just get burned out for a while. Not belittling being sensitive to caffeine. I was obviously extremely sensitive to nicotine and know other people are more sensitive to other things.
    I applaud your journey and send you every positive energy I can send.

Good job, Pete! I’ve stuck with my plan too… all due to this thread. I now just have one coffee a few days a week instead of coffee everyday. I think it’s a much better balance for me.

60 days caffeine free.

My mornings are still very rough. I'm going to go another 30 days and see how I feel.

60 days caffeine free.

My mornings are still very rough. I'm going to go another 30 days and see how I feel.
    it’s probably already been mentioned in the last 5 pages but if you do decide to start drinking caffeine in moderation again, you might try decaf in the morning. You get the coffee taste and warm drink in the morning and still get a very slight dose of caffeine with it. It’s been a pretty good substitute for me when I’ve tried to cut back on caffeine at times. I’ve also seen mushroom based coffee type drinks but haven’t ever tried them.

Really just any warm drink in the morning has helped me when not drinking caffeine. I’ve even used warm tang when backpacking which was surprisingly good lol.

^
    I don't like coffee or tea or really any warm beverage.

I started drinking a Diet Coke on my long L.A. morning commutes and got hooked in the 90s.

Before I cut caffeine altogether, I limited myself to one Diet Coke in the morning, which has the caffeine equivalent of 1/3rd of a cup of coffee.

I may end up going back to that if my mornings don't improve.

It's been very much like stopping drinking alcohol: you notice just the massive amount consumed all around you. Somewhere along the line the American culture has become completely addicted to caffeine. You see all these cutesy t-shirts and coffee mugs taking pride in consuming massive quantities of a highly addictive substance.

Things have gotten completely out of control with kids slamming Moutain Dew and energy drinks starting in elementary school. Everywhere you turn, someone is toting a huge Starbucks, Red Bull, HTeaO, or Big Gulp.

Thread Information