Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

1. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
    Update:
    The weeks of 5-15 and 5-23 had them out doing the splicing at each pod in the back yards. Final pole construction was also done too.
    The week of 5-23 had them on my specific street and the contractor (Trans-Tel) told me to expect to go live within 30 days.

Happy to report that as of 6/6 it is now available for order, and my order is placed. Utility locators showed up on 6/7 and currently waiting for the drop from the pedestal to my house to be done.

Hopefully this helps someone else wondering how long the process will take.
    Generally they did the tap to my house pretty fast. The long part was the fiber box into my actual house. Took over a month. I'm sure it's just first come first serve. The guy who installed in the house did a great job though. Ran it through my attic and right to the room I wanted.

Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Hopefully this will help expedite high speed internet expansions and competition in and around OKC: https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...-connectivity/

3. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hopefully this will help expedite high speed internet expansions and competition in and around OKC: https://kfor.com/news/local/oklahoma...-connectivity/
    According to the Biden statement linked in that article the funds are to be spent on getting pretty basic wired internet to places that don't have anything reliable now.

Biden:
    "The internet access funding amounts depended primarily on the number of unserved locations in each jurisdiction or those locations that lack access to internet download speeds of at least 25 megabits per second download and upload speeds of 3 Mbps".

25 and 3 are very slow. If getting service installed at that speed to unserved areas is what this funding is for it won't have anything to do with competition in metro areas.

Seems like Cox may have noticed more high speed competition in the area, got a notice today that my tiers download speed was doubled (upon rebooting modem)

Question: Just outside my addition, I've noticed the appearance of new utility flags specifically noting the location of both Cox and ATT fiber cable. Can anyone advise if this might be a predecessor to them running fiber into the neighborhood?

I note that ATT Fiber has signs for new deployment coming to an addition about a mile to our east as well.

OEC Fiber has been in the area for a few years, but has never finished our addition. ATT Fiber has made no overtures but they are literally all around us.

Bottom line, I'm desperately looking (hoping) for an alternative to Cox. I'm hoping the utility flags are a harbinger of imminent change coming.

wow... i can't believe that oec has taken so long. my only guesses are that they've decided to focus on other locations or there are problems working with the neighborhood's hoa (assuming there is one).

it's totally worth the wait though... i don't miss cox one bit. the only painful thing for me is that i had to switch from a cox email address that i had used for nearly 20 years to one from gmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    wow... i can't believe that oec has taken so long. my only guesses are that they've decided to focus on other locations or there are problems working with the neighborhood's hoa (assuming there is one).

it's totally worth the wait though... i don't miss cox one bit. the only painful thing for me is that i had to switch from a cox email address that i had used for nearly 20 years to one from gmail.
    We've actually had orchestrated letter writing campaigns to OEC engineering staff asking them to add us in, and the response is... crickets. I'll gladly take ATT if they get here first.

Putting in ATT fiber optic in my neighborhood in Yukon as we speak.
    They can put it in relatively fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Putting in ATT fiber optic in my neighborhood in Yukon as we speak.
    They can put it in relatively fast.
    AT&T bored in my area around March of this year. They were in for a few weeks - left flyers on the doors saying to go to a website to sign up/more info, etc. That website just says Air is their only internet solution for my address. From what I can tell, they bored everything in but have not activated it yet. Not that I'd switch from OEC - it's only $5 cheaper and I'm extremely happy with OEC and the fact that if I did need to call them for something, I'll get a real person down in Norman. If I had AT&T cell, I believe it discounts it further, but I don't. The OEC provided hardware is also MUCH better than AT&T's router from what I understand, and they include 1 extender and the router for free.

The odd thing is that the utility easement is all in the back yards on my street - electric, phone, and gas are all back there. Water is in our front yards. AT&T put the fiber in the front yards.. not sure why.

Update: This thread made me check AT&T again (it had been about a month) - looks like it is live for me! I had seen their splice trailer drive through once but never saw them stopped anywhere.
    OEC offers 1GB for $85 (out the door) or 100Mb for $55.
    AT&T looks to be offering the following, not sure if/what taxes or fees get added. These are all unbundled prices: 1GB $80, 500Mb $65, 300Mb $55, 2GB $145, 5GB $245
    Last edited by bchandler02; 07-13-2024 at 08:17 AM. Reason: AT&T now live!

Interesting to note, I own a house in an older generally south neighborhood. Copper pair since '74. Cox put in cable in the early 80's.

No fiber. . no plans to put in fiber. . .no surprise!

11. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    Interesting to note, I own a house in an older generally south neighborhood. Copper pair since '74. Cox put in cable in the early 80's.

No fiber. . no plans to put in fiber. . .no surprise!
    Too bad. We went to ATT fiber as soon as it was available in our neighborhood. It's way faster and way more reliable than COX copper was. And cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
    AT&T bored in my area around March of this year. They were in for a few weeks - left flyers on the doors saying to go to a website to sign up/more info, etc. That website just says Air is their only internet solution for my address. From what I can tell, they bored everything in but have not activated it yet. Not that I'd switch from OEC - it's only $5 cheaper and I'm extremely happy with OEC and the fact that if I did need to call them for something, I'll get a real person down in Norman. If I had AT&T cell, I believe it discounts it further, but I don't. The OEC provided hardware is also MUCH better than AT&T's router from what I understand, and they include 1 extender and the router for free.

The odd thing is that the utility easement is all in the back yards on my street - electric, phone, and gas are all back there. Water is in our front yards. AT&T put the fiber in the front yards.. not sure why.

Update: This thread made me check AT&T again (it had been about a month) - looks like it is live for me! I had seen their splice trailer drive through once but never saw them stopped anywhere.
    OEC offers 1GB for $85 (out the door) or 100Mb for $55.
    AT&T looks to be offering the following, not sure if/what taxes or fees get added. These are all unbundled prices: 1GB $80, 500Mb $65, 300Mb $55, 2GB $145, 5GB $245
    I went to the ATT store and the guy calculated a package that compared to what I get from COX. (I get the bundle with gigablast and pay $295.00 monthly) It was $ 110.00 less than COX. They also will credit you for any locked in fees from COX if early termination is required. I will sign up asap with ATT. My neighbor has a son with ATT and he is very happy with the service.

Fiber is close to me but no go so far stuck with cox. Even though I don't think $70 all in for Gigablast is horrible deal i still would rather have fiber.

14. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I went to the ATT store and the guy calculated a package that compared to what I get from COX. (I get the bundle with gigablast and pay $295.00 monthly) It was $ 110.00 less than COX. They also will credit you for any locked in fees from COX if early termination is required. I will sign up asap with ATT. My neighbor has a son with ATT and he is very happy with the service.
    And for now ATT doesn't have a data cap like Cox. Still the worst anti-consumer thing ever for Cox to have. I'd go with OEC Fiber or ATT if you can get it.

Our neighborhood was stuck with Cox for years then we got OEC Fiber and ATT just finished their install. All the competition has run Cox out of the neighborhood.

15. Default Re: OECFiber and ATTFiber expansion in S. OKC

I live in a 100-year-old neighborhood near 34th and Classen. ATT ran fiber a few years ago and we were the first home to hook to it. We absolutely love the price and reliability.

My wife has an office on the second floor of a law office and when she moved in three years ago, the law office used COX, so she just went with them. Cut to two months ago and COX increased her "business internet" cost and she was paying $200 per month. I went to the AT&T store and they said they had a little device that you can plug in that is high speed internet, almost on the go. It connects to cell phone towers and for her business, that's all she needed. It was $60 per month. COX came back and offered to drop her coverage down to $150 per month. She just laughed and hung up...

Thread Information