Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    They seem to be propping her up as David Payne's Replacement, Seeing Commercials showing her as The Oklahoma Weather Expert. (the title reserved for David Payne)
    I would love this, and sooner than later.

Blog Entries

You can start with the fact that all nine anchors listed on the News9 website are white. KOTV is 9 out of 11. Griffin overall 20 of 22, that's pretty shocking and might just make them a bit out of touch in a state that is only 62% white.

3. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    You can start with the fact that all nine anchors listed on the News9 website are white. KOTV is 9 out of 11. Griffin overall 20 of 22, that's pretty shocking and might just make them a bit out of touch in a state that is only 62% white.
    Wow, you are correct on that. Other than reporters, their entire staff of news anchors, weather people, and sports reporters is as white as Rainbo bread. I reviewed their bios and not a single individual (excluding reporters) states that they hold a tribal affiliation either.

Just pretty glaring in today's environment.

So what does race have to do with weather forecasting? Perhaps they hired the most qualified people for the job? That is certainly what I want during tornado season. Perhaps we need to adjust the Thunder lineup to reflect demographics?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    So what does race have to do with weather forecasting? Perhaps they hired the most qualified people for the job? That is certainly what I want during tornado season. Perhaps we need to adjust the Thunder lineup to reflect demographics?
    So you are saying that the 40% of the population that isn't white isn't ever the more competent in meteorology? That when hiring 12 weather people 100% of the time the best candidate came from only 60% of the population? What are the odds?

And then you mentioned basketball, MOST of players for the Thunder not white (but some most certainly are white!) but 100% of the people that talk about the Thunder on News9/News on 6 are white? That no nonwhite people are competent to talk about SPORTS?

So you are saying that the 40% of the population that isn't white isn't ever the more competent in meteorology? That when hiring 12 weather people 100% of the time the best candidate came from only 60% of the population? What are the odds?

And then you mentioned basketball, MOST of players for the Thunder not white (but some most certainly are white!) but 100% of the people that talk about the Thunder on News9/News on 6 are white? That no nonwhite people are competent to talk about SPORTS?

No, I did not say that. In a large sample, all meteorologists in the US, you are absolutely right. All other things being equal, the most qualified should match demographics. In a small sample, meteorologists at Channel 9, it would be quite surprising for most qualified to match demographics.

Your basketball statement does not make sense. Must not of explained myself well. If you are going to require channel 9, a business, to hire meteorologists to match the demographics of the local area, shouldn’t you also require the Thunder, a business, to hire basketball players to match the local demographics? For that matter, require all businesses in the area to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Wow, you are correct on that. Other than reporters, their entire staff of news anchors, weather people, and sports reporters is as white as Rainbo bread. I reviewed their bios and not a single individual (excluding reporters) states that they hold a tribal affiliation either.

Just pretty glaring in today's environment.
    Cant confirm this but heard from a friend that knows the channel 9 weather department that there is one high ranking person that has osage affiliation . not going to list who exactly though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    No, I did not say that. In a large sample, all meteorologists in the US, you are absolutely right. All other things being equal, the most qualified should match demographics. In a small sample, meteorologists at Channel 9, it would be quite surprising for most qualified to match demographics.

Your basketball statement does not make sense. Must not of explained myself well. If you are going to require channel 9, a business, to hire meteorologists to match the demographics of the local area, shouldn’t you also require the Thunder, a business, to hire basketball players to match the local demographics? For that matter, require all businesses in the area to do so?
    I'm not requiring them to do anything. I am saying this is symptomatic of real problems at Griffin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Cant confirm this but heard from a friend that knows the channel 9 weather department that there is one high ranking person that has osage affiliation . not going to list who exactly though.
    Why? Are they supposed to be ashamed of it?

I think one thing we are missing is the competence of the weather ladies. I am an old man, but I fully believe Lacey Swope can stand in front of the camera for 7 hours, direct live remotes, and make a clear call on a tornado emergency. All at the same time. I'm guessing she could manage the weather department, but don't have any real knowledge.

Sexism no longer looks like a real issue for news and weather in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think one thing we are missing is the competence of the weather ladies. I am an old man, but I fully believe Lacey Swope can stand in front of the camera for 7 hours, direct live remotes, and make a clear call on a tornado emergency. All at the same time. I'm guessing she could manage the weather department, but don't have any real knowledge.

Sexism no longer looks like a real issue for news and weather in the media.
    During severe weather events, you can tell Lacey has extensive knowledge in weather by just listening to the back-and-forth banter between she and Payne. She is very intelligent.

Too me KOCO is the one that is on decline. I can't get it on the antenna most of the time either at home west metro or work near airport. Their sports is kind of lacking especially for the 6pm newscast.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Too me KOCO is the one that is on decline. I can't get it on the antenna most of the time either at home west metro or work near airport. Their sports is kind of lacking especially for the 6pm newscast.
    Unlike most of the other TV stations in OKC, KOCO is on a VHF frequency. The antenna should be sensitive to VHF frequencies. Other than channel 13, the rest of the TV stations in OKC are on UHF. Probably a cheap $12 rabbit ears from Walmart will do to get channel 5 and 13.

If that doesn't work, then try the RCA 65+ flat antenna also from Walmart. I'm too far away from OKC to get all the high-powered stations with rabbit ears, but the RCA antenna works to get all of them for a total of 55 channels from OKC. But I'm still too far away to get the low powered OKC TV stations, so have to do without DEFY.

I would submit all of the television stations are in some degree of decline. From what I recall of 4, 5 an 9 of old, they ALL had more of a local character. From what I recall I seriously started to pay attention about 6th grade or 1970-71. And while. K F O R CHANNEL 4 today has some nice features such as "Pay it forward" that feature does not always resonate. Likewise it amazes me how after "Looking out for you" doesn't solve anything, says they will follow up yet rarely seem to. (And yes I have been featured on "Is this A Great State Or What?, Twice.) KFOR Is who I regularly watch.

K O C O 5 is decent but I get tired of Brent Helmsly's woke prevarications thinly cloked as editorials.

And as you noted KWTV 9 is just "Meh"

The newspaper situation is worse. Geez we used to have a great OKLAHOMAN and Daily OKC Times, and the totally different but good Journal. Since the Oklahoma has been bounced around post Gaylord, each sucessive hand off pushes it a bit further into the category of bird cage fodder. Save Lackmeyer, who stays focused on timely local items.

Take a look at some of the Journal offerings from the 60's. Gory, hard hitting actual pictures of car accidents and crime victims. . . no worries about offending someone's pronouns there! News that was NEWS. Something we need today.

Polite? Not so much, but then the News reality never was.

Times change. Things change.

When you were in 6th grade in 1970, you were probably 12 years old and the world was big and new. There were 3 daily papers, and 3 TV stations (4,5 and 9).

Now, 54 years later, you are mid-60s and the world is memories. Newspapers are a dead delivery system, so they are functionally obsolete. Free, Over-The-Air TV has over 55 channels. Cable has hundreds. And streaming is limitless audio, video and reading. Big world out there.

Channel 9 is still Oklahoma owned and doing a pretty good job of staying local

I'm not requiring them to do anything. I am saying this is symptomatic of real problems at Griffin.
    Becoming an accredited Meteorologist by the American Meteorological Society requires rigorous coursework including calculus and physics. I would think the TV stations in OKC demand some of the highest qualifications considering the potential life or death situations faced annually in OK. It may be there are simply not accredited, competent and qualified meteorologists of color available for hire that are not being sought by every other TV station in the country. Just because there should be someone of color in a highly professional role doesn't mean POCs are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Times change. Things change.

When you were in 6th grade in 1970, you were probably 12 years old and the world was big and new. There were 3 daily papers, and 3 TV stations (4,5 and 9).

Now, 54 years later, you are mid-60s and the world is memories. Newspapers are a dead delivery system, so they are functionally obsolete. Free, Over-The-Air TV has over 55 channels. Cable has hundreds. And streaming is limitless audio, video and reading. Big world out there.

Channel 9 is still Oklahoma owned and doing a pretty good job of staying local
    There were 4 TV stations unless you didn't want to count channel 13.

Besides KWTV, Griffin Media, based in Oklahoma City, also owns KOTV-6 in Tulsa. Its transmitter tower is one of the tallest in Oklahoma at 1825 ft.

Griffin Media also owns KSBI-52 in Oklahoma City and KQCW-19 in Tulsa. Also owned are 5 Tulsa radio stations. Hopefully, Griffin Media will stay local by not getting bought out. Huge companies have gobbled up too much of the various media as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    There were 4 TV stations unless you didn't want to count channel 13.

Besides KWTV, Griffin Media, based in Oklahoma City, also owns KOTV-6 in Tulsa. Its transmitter tower is one of the tallest in Oklahoma at 1825 ft.

Griffin Media also owns KSBI-52 in Oklahoma City and KQCW-19 in Tulsa. Also owned are 5 Tulsa radio stations. Hopefully, Griffin Media will stay local by not getting bought out. Huge companies have gobbled up too much of the various media as it is.
    Nobody counted channel 13. It didn't even have Sesame Street when I was a kid. KLPR was on channel 14 for a couple years in the late 1960s, but that was Country music stuff, IIRC.

Id rarher watch Mike Morgan than Royal Payne

Something is definitely going on at news 9 and it's pretty major. News 9 has just recently sold there Bell 407 helicopter and replaced it with a Bell 505. For those not up to par with coppers that's like trading a Ferrari for a Tesla. News 9 really did have the fastest helicopter in the state with there 407 cruising around 155mph the bell 505 is one of the slowest news helicopters you can own with a cruising speed of 115mph not to mention the power loss. It's definitely sad times for the OKC tv market. Having the best chopper you can for severe weather weather coverage does indeed save lives and I can't believe the management at Griffin communication would make this change. Expected live chopper shots from News 9 during severe weather coverage and high speed police chases to be way worse now. I really can't wait to see how the promotion team tries to spin this one. Don't buy it this was a horrible decision by news 9 and has to be money related.

Something is definitely going on at news 9 and it's pretty major. News 9 has just recently sold there Bell 407 helicopter and replaced it with a Bell 505. For those not up to par with coppers that's like trading a Ferrari for a Tesla. News 9 really did have the fastest helicopter in the state with there 407 cruising around 155mph the bell 505 is one of the slowest news helicopters you can own with a cruising speed of 115mph not to mention the power loss. It's definitely sad times for the OKC tv market. Having the best chopper you can for severe weather weather coverage does indeed save lives and I can't believe the management at Griffin communication would make this change. Expected live chopper shots from News 9 during severe weather coverage and high speed police chases to be way worse now. I really can't wait to see how the promotion team tries to spin this one. Don't buy it this was a horrible decision by news 9 and has to be money related.

I love the helicopter reporting, but I don't think it will be a noticeable difference for the average person watching. I'm guessing response time to anything in the metro might be 5 minutes slower to begin coverage. After that , I can't imagine anything on the ground is going to outrun a helicopter. Storm coverage has become almost exclusively the weather anchor in studio shifting from radar to different storm chasers.

And if it saves over $100,000 per year (I have no real knowledge of the number, but would think it has to be at least that much to make it worthwhile), I would have to think it helps morale, rather than hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWZCON91HD View Post
    For those not up to par with coppers that's like trading a Ferrari for a Tesla. .
    FXX Evo: Ferrari's fastest vehicle to date, with a top speed of over 249 mph. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds.

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid 200 MPH 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds ..

Quote Originally Posted by LAWZCON91HD View Post
    That explains the new noise the past few months when they fly over our house (near NW 36th/May, way more often and way earlier than I'd like) and hover over whatever traffic f***up is southeast of us that happens every couple of months. A lot choppier, less smooth, and louder than it had been.

25. Default Re: KWTV News 9 on a decline.

As a consumer, I watch News 9 and am happy with it. I do flip around to the other stations as well but like 9 the best. The beauty of it is there is a different station for everyone's taste.

Thread Information