Widgets Magazine
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14596061626364
Results 1,576 to 1,599 of 1599

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

1. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Not really press but I thought it was interesting. I like seeing outsiders views and here, we get a 2fer. To be fair, the purpose of the video he's reacting to is to be positive, not critical, of OKC but worth a watch none the less. Kinda long. I skipped around on it.

Blog Entries

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!

It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An’ foolish notion:
    What airs in dress an’ gait wad lea’e us,
    An’ ev’n devotion! -- Robert Burns

Awesome video, Traxx, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!

It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An’ foolish notion:
    What airs in dress an’ gait wad lea’e us,
    An’ ev’n devotion! -- Robert Burns

Awesome video, Traxx, thanks for sharing.

Ol' Bob Burns. The lesser known father of documentary filmmaker Ken Burns. Bob texted this as he was having a stroke.

OKC will be the subject of the season premiere of True South on ESPN/the SEC Network tonight. Excited to watch. And highly recommend the show if you haven’t seen it before. Is a great Bourdain-esque show featuring the people, places, and culture of the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    OKC will be the subject of the season premiere of True South on ESPN/the SEC Network tonight. Excited to watch. And highly recommend the show if you haven’t seen it before. Is a great Bourdain-esque show featuring the people, places, and culture of the south.
    Thanks for the heads up, I set it to record.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Yes, thanks. Recorded it and just watched.

Mainly focused on the Stockyards, Cattleman's, and Juniors. They did talk to the manager of Jones Assembly but didn't really show that super cool space.

IMO, didn't paint our city in a very favorable light. Cows, steaks, and old people smoking cigars inside a restaurant. All of that looked like we were still living in the 70s.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Mainly focused on the Stockyards, Cattleman's, and Juniors. They did talk to the manager of Jones Assembly but didn't really show that super cool space.

IMO, didn't paint our city in a very favorable light. Cows, steaks, and old people smoking cigars inside a restaurant. All of that looked like we were still living in the 70s.
    Felt like they showed it in more of a "southern" light than some of the fun things that are going on right now. Odd to say the least

I see they covered the usual suspects. Would fit right in on a Travel Channel episode about OKC from 2009.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

That is very unfortunate. Welcome to the SEC, indeed.

Who is the usual target audience of the show? How have they covered other cities? Maybe this is just the kind of thing they want to highlight for the kind of audience they're catering to.

That is too bad. I haven't watched a lot of them but the ones I have typically focus on the old school under the radar people and places that have been around forever and have a connection to the south, but typically with a pretty heavy overlay of the culture and history of the place. I haven't gotten to watch the episode yet, but that doesn't completely surprise me. Though places like Florence's, the Asian District, onion burgers (though I realize this, historically, doesn't originate in OKC), etc. would have been candidates for inclusion. My understanding is that they're starting this season with OKC and Austin to welcome OU and UT to the SEC.

And FWIW the show is EP'ed by Wright Thompson (one of our best modern American writers - if you haven't read his stuff, go ahead and do so whether it's sports or otherwise) and hosted/written by John T. Edge, a four-time James Beard winner. So they definitely know their stuff. I imagine they have their formula for the show and can only fit so much in the time allowed.

I would guess it is targeted to people who will be visiting from places like Oxford, MS or Starkville, MS or Auburn, AL.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Season 10 of Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations has a good, fair episode on OKC which is a few years old now, but isn't too cliche. I think the only place you can find that show (which I LOVE) is on the Cooking Channel. If you like travel with an overlay of food history and culture, then this show is a great 22 minute diversion.

As others have pointed out, I’m sure it really is as simple as trying to connect Oklahoma City and Oklahoma to the south - a region that relishes in hard work, unhealthy food, and traditional culture - the things most of us dislike about the city are actually going to be what makes it acceptable to southerners. The city isn’t being advertised to New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago as much as it’s being advertised to Tuscaloosa, Lexington, and Baton Rouge.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    As others have pointed out, I’m sure it really is as simple as trying to connect Oklahoma City and Oklahoma to the south - a region that relishes in hard work, unhealthy food, and traditional culture - the things most of us dislike about the city are actually going to be what makes it acceptable to southerners. The city isn’t being advertised to New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago as much as it’s being advertised to Tuscaloosa, Lexington, and Baton Rouge.
    We dislike "hard work"?

That is interesting to see your take, I felt a little differently about it. I had never watched this show before, and had some time before the OKC episode, so I watched the ones they did on St. Augustine and Dublin, GA. It seemed to me they chose places that had been around a really long time, that hadn't changed, and were Southern themed. At the end of the Dublin episode they featured a restaurant that gave jobs to women vying for a second chance in life. It was meant to be a feel good story, but at the same time talking about people struggling with drug addiction. Part of me was mortified that that could also be part of our episode, and the optics that places.

So having watched those episodes I was nervously excited. The fact that there wasn't anything drug related in the episode for OKC was a sigh of relief. I must admit when they first started showing Juniors I was surprised. Watching it all the way through though, and in comparison to other episodes, I think it's fitting for what they are going for. I like that they showed Cattleman's because even though it's not the fanciest steakhouse, it is unique and has a cool story, in a uniquely cool area IMO. When I'm showing out of towners our city this is absolutely one of the areas on my short list.

I'm not familiar with the Jones Assembly other than where it is. It's possible this is more unique than I'm aware and if so a bummer to your point they didn't show more of it.

I would have liked for them to show more of Bricktown and even downtown than they did, but that's about my only complaint. I enjoyed the show.

I recently had a guest come to OKC for the first time ever. They live in Dallas. I took them to First National/LDS and Jones. They were mind blown that OKC has such cool spots. They said Dallas has nothing to compare to First National.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    We dislike "hard work"?
    …what? No. That was a short list of what broadly appeals to southerners.

I lived in Dallas for 23 years moved back to western OK in 2010 to care for my parents. Moved to the city in 2020 and my friends from Dallas love coming to OKC. The Oak will be game changer for entertaining out of town guest. And lake Hefner was a favorite place for them as well.

As mentioned upthread, it is a Wright Thompson production. And it fits perfectly in his "niche" in the ESPN universe.

Nice mention for OKC and Oklahoma. Not a lot of substance to the entire article but interesting read.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/25-us-mos...ons/index.html

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Nice mention for OKC and Oklahoma. Not a lot of substance to the entire article but interesting read.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/25-us-mos...ons/index.html
    It was interesting, thanks!

Thread Information