Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

From the City of OKC's FB page:

The NW Expressway pedestrian bridge is temporarily closed for repairs.

During the final inspection of the bridge, a portion was found not to be ADA compliant. The section that is non-compliant will be repaired during this closure.

The closure is expected to last through the first part of August, subject to weather and other factors.

Pedestrians and cyclists should use the traffic light crosswalk at NW Expressway and Brookside Drive/Wilshire Boulevard during the closure.

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

They are still using the ADA compliant spin. That just makes it sound like they would have been fine with the sagging concrete span(that required shoring) if it wasn't for an ADA compliance issue.

3. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

The section that was supported on scaffolding has now been removed.

That picture just reinforces what a POS that bridge is from design to implementation.

The bridge is back open. Also looks like they are installing steel grates around the base of the concrete walls on the bottom. I assume it is to prevent encampment by the homeless. The grates have "Oklahoma City" designed in them.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    That picture just reinforces what a POS that bridge is from design to implementation.
    Yeah this is probably at least 50% used by cyclists and the left ramp down is not at all bike friendly

7. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    Yeah this is probably at least 50% used by cyclists and the left ramp down is not at all bike friendly
    True. I wonder how much more expensive it would have been to aim the upper section on the south end a little further south, Crossed over Wilshire and connected straight to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    The bridge is back open. Also looks like they are installing steel grates around the base of the concrete walls on the bottom. I assume it is to prevent encampment by the homeless. The grates have "Oklahoma City" designed in them.
    We were just driving west on NW Expressway in the far right lane and got stopped at the light at the bridge so we got a real good close up look at those steel grates. Unbelievable how rusty and ugly they are. I mean not just a little rust but they look they have been under water for years. I wonder if they plan to leave them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    We were just driving west on NW Expressway in the far right lane and got stopped at the light at the bridge so we got a real good close up look at those steel grates. Unbelievable how rusty and ugly they are. I mean not just a little rust but they look they have been under water for years. I wonder if they plan to leave them like that.
    The railroad bridge spanning I-235 near 50th is made that way on purpose. Rusty from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The railroad bridge spanning I-235 near 50th is made that way on purpose. Rusty from day one.
    Yea but this is not a railroad bridge crossing an interstate. This is surrounded by thriving businesses. You have to see how bad these are. I wish I had taken a picture when were stopped 3 feet from them.

+1 on how bad they are. this is down the st from where i live and its been up for maybe a week now. at first i thought it was something temp for the work they were doing. didnt even see the "oklahoma city" until yesterday. its bad lol

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Well, if they were originally painted and rust is coming through, that's not a good thing. That rail bridge over l-235 was meant to be rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Well, if they were originally painted and rust is coming through, that's not a good thing. That rail bridge over l-235 was meant to be rusty.
    These are newly installed and never painted.

I drove by yesterday and it really SUCKS. It is not like the railroad bridge. Some panels are rusty and some are not.

The art work in OKC, at least this one, should have been triple checked. This is Bad !

And it says 'Oklahoma City'. And it is barely legible.

15. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I drove by yesterday and it really SUCKS. It is not like the railroad bridge. Some panels are rusty and some are not.

The art work in OKC, at least this one, should have been triple checked. This is Bad !

And it says 'Oklahoma City'. And it is barely legible.
    Report it to the city! Action Center, Mayor's Office, someone! Make your voice heard.

It boggles my mind that someone actually approved this eye sore or thought that this would be a good idea.

i dont even think its to keep the unhoused people from setting up their tents underneath because it doesn't wrap all the way around. If it was purely for art purposes i think it would've been a lot cooler to have local artists cover up the huge concrete barriers. good idea about the action center though

This entire project has been as poorly executed as anything I can remember. And this is coming from someone who has driven down Broadway through Automobile Alley nearly every day for the past four months.

19. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

The intentional rust thing seems to be a design staple for a while. All the bridges on the River Trail, Martin Nature Park, etc. are unpainted and intentionally rusty. I personally hate it. I like painted and finished looking.

There's a very good design reason for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

21. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

What a giant waste of money and a horrible design. This thing is awful in every possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    There's a very good design reason for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel
    I don't actually think it's Corten steel. The south side has one rusty panel and the rest of the panels are not.

Thread Information