Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031 LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The branding arguably is the worst in the NBA; not internal professional sports. The example you gave about what you would suck or wouldn't suck--that IMO sucks.

How did we get this far off OKC Energy FC into a conversation about the NBA and male solo self-satisfaction.
    Just because you are unwilling to engage with the hypothetical concept does not make it irrelevant.

Blog Entries

Energy FC Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Just because you are unwilling to engage with the hypothetical concept does not make it irrelevant.
    Hahahaha... ...Citywokchinesefood--this is the best laugh I've had this month.

You're right--OMG, I can't stop laughing. I'm not going to engage in sword swallowing--figuratively or literally.

FWIW: I understand the passion some posters have about the team branding--it's real.

Blog Entries

Propel Oklahoma City to the next level: MLS exceeding 20,000 seats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Y'all keep moving the goal posts. The original premise was that people outside of OKC didn't think the Thunder logo and branding was bad. I provided an example from the most influential writer on the NBA. Now, you're demanding "a marketing and design communications expert." First, public perception matters. That's the point. Expert opinion is not the only opinion. Second, I guarantee you all the experts agree too. But you can use the internet too instead of just adding snarky comments without any supporting evidence. You're not added anything to the discussion.
    Who says Zach Lowe represents the public. He represents HIS opinion. Secondly, to be really credible, you need to be an expert in the field you are judging. Again, opinion isnt fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Who says Zach Lowe represents the public. He represents HIS opinion. Secondly, to be really credible, you need to be an expert in the field you are judging. Again, opinion isnt fact.
    When the logo came out…it was widely ridiculed across the board throughout sports media. I remember well because I followed the situation in Seattle from the minute they bought the team and spent a ton of time reading about the team after the logo reveal. People have gotten used to it and it’s become less prevalent but acting like people didn’t widely mock it, especially for the first few years, is either ignorance or denial. It is a crap, generic logo that we’ve all gotten used to…but that doesn’t make it better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    When the logo came out…it was widely ridiculed across the board throughout sports media. I remember well because I followed the situation in Seattle from the minute they bought the team and spent a ton of time reading about the team after the logo reveal. People have gotten used to it and it’s become less prevalent but acting like people didn’t widely mock it, especially for the first few years, is either ignorance or denial. It is a crap, generic logo that we’ve all gotten used to…but that doesn’t make it better.
    When OKC was awarded a team the other cities with NBA teams also thought OKC was not worthy. They were critical of the whole situation. They tend to be a very cliquish group and are highly critical of small market teams. There are many NBA teams with objectively ugly logos and uniforms who get free passes because they are older teams in big cities.

They criticized the name Thunder, but love the Heat. No one criticizes the Lakers, though they are near the Ocean and not lakes. What is the history of Jazz in Salt Lake City? How many Grizzlies are in Memphis?

The Thunder need to keep doing what they are doing… shut out the noise and keep forcing their way into the old boys club. Old society rarely approves of new society. Thunder just needs to keep kicking down the door and waking right in.

When OKC was awarded a team the other cities with NBA teams also thought OKC was not worthy. They were critical of the whole situation. They tend to be a very cliquish group and are highly critical of small market teams. There are many NBA teams with objectively ugly logos and uniforms who get free passes because they are older teams in big cities.

They criticized the name Thunder, but love the Heat. No one criticizes the Lakers, though they are near the Ocean and not lakes. What is the history of Jazz in Salt Lake City? How many Grizzlies are in Memphis?

The Thunder need to keep doing what they are doing… shut out the noise and keep forcing their way into the old boys club. Old society rarely approves of new society. Thunder just needs to keep kicking down the door and waking right in.
    Are you confused about the difference between the team name and the team logo? I am pretty sure everyone has accepted the team name. It has been around long enough that it has established itself with OKC and NBA fans. The logo however, is pretty ridiculous and laughable. It is a shield (?) with a basketball inside, okc initials, and 2 random horizontal lines. It looks like it was created by some clip art computer program in the early 2000s. There is no identifiable characteristic of the logo, that incorporates the team’s name whatsoever.

You can argue and say something like the LA Dodger logo is just an interlocking LA, but that team has a long history and plenty notoriety. It just seems like the Thunder went with the most unimaginative, safe and boring logo possible. Maybe with the opening of the new arena, they can also rebrand the logo.

Blog Entries

Move to: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf) https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...34#post1274534

I didnt realize Zach Lowe is a marketing and design communications expert… i thought he is a sports writer.
    Here you go, brother: https://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/thunderlogo.html

Of course, just about anyone with eyes would tell you it is not a big league calibre logo. It is giving a lot of windows 95 clip art vibes. Fortunately, the PBC knows that the club can’t show up at the new $1.5B arena with its existing logo.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Here you go, brother: https://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/thunderlogo.html

Of course, just about anyone with eyes would tell you it is not a big league calibre logo. It is giving a lot of windows 95 clip art vibes. Fortunately, the PBC knows that the club can’t show up at the new $1.5B arena with its existing logo.
    We have this argument on OKC Talk every year, and someone throws out the James Robert Watson link, and, maybe, 1 or 2 other Bar Stool type stories. They are all about 10 years old. But, they are what I asked for, and they were produced, Thanks for those.

Remember, however, that a group of good and true Americans got together in Detroit around the millennium, and decided the Pistons "Round Ball One" logo was boring tired and unimaginative, A few months later the committee gave us the "Flaming Horse Logo". Replete with purple and teal accents.

Never Forget.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    We have this argument on OKC Talk every year, and someone throws out the James Robert Watson link, and, maybe, 1 or 2 other Bar Stool type stories. They are all about 10 years old. But, they are what I asked for, and they were produced, Thanks for those.

Remember, however, that a group of good and true Americans got together in Detroit around the millennium, and decided the Pistons "Round Ball One" logo was boring tired and unimaginative, A few months later the committee gave us the "Flaming Horse Logo". Replete with purple and teal accents.

Never Forget.
    I love message board experts. Lol. They are never wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

Never Forget.
    I think these were the same people who decided the NY Islanders logo was old and tired, and then decided that young people would LOVE to wear a jersey with that had an old man on it with gray hair, holding a hockey stick while wearing a rain slicker.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I think these were the same people who decided the NY Islanders logo was old and tired, and then decided that young people would LOVE to wear a jersey with that had an old man on it with gray hair, holding a hockey stick while wearing a rain slicker.
    I always kinda wondered if Gorton's Fish put some money in that?

^ ^ ^

The branding arguably is the worst in the NBA; not international professional sports. The example you gave about what you would suck or wouldn't suck--that IMO sucks.

How did we get this far off OKC Energy FC into a conversation about the NBA and OMG male penile satisfaction.

Let's get back on topic to USL OKC Energy FC.
    It is using a very extreme example that applies in a similar way. I will admit it is crass and will not follow up on it further. My original point still stands about the branding being that bad lol. On to our almost pro soccer team!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It is using a very extreme example that applies in a similar way. I will admit it is crass and will not follow up on it further. My original point still stands about the branding being that bad lol. On to our almost pro soccer team!
    Hey dude, it's all good. Enjoyed the laughter. You put me in a turbulent tail spend.

Would like to see some brand of soccer--USL or MLS in OKC in 2028 with the coming of the
    LA28 Olympics and the completion of the $1 billion downtown arena.

Have mentioned this before, but if OKC plays its cards perfectly, I still think MLS and/or NWSL is far and away the most likely "Big League" opportunity remaining for the city. MLS will probably add 10 more teams and NWSL will probably add 15 more before all is said and done. Would assume it could take as many as 20 years for both of those leagues to finish up their respective expansion processes.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Have mentioned this before, but if OKC plays its cards perfectly, I still think MLS and/or NWSL is far and away the most likely "Big League" opportunity remaining for the city. MLS will probably add 10 more teams and NWSL will probably add 15 more before all is said and done. Would assume it could take as many as 20 years for both of those leagues to finish up their respective expansion processes.
    I think MLS is already overcommitted. Hard core speculators have been on the MLS bandwagon for over 20 years.

Regarding NWSL....I think OKC has a real chance to be big in women's sports. I think OU softball (and, to a lesser degree, gymnastics) gives OKC a leg up on the women's sports market overall. Our conservative, Southern state LOVES girls playing sports, and our families put the support out there every week. Translate that that into the love of the adults, and we are golden.

The only options right now outside of 13,000 seat Bricktown Ballpark would be:

Capacity - 6,860 - Putnam City Pirate Stadium, Oklahoma City
    Capacity - 6,803 - Moses F. Miller Stadium, Douglass High School, Oklahoma City
    Capacity - 6,000 - Millers Stadium, Yukon
    Capacity - 5,000 - Husky Stadium, Edmond
    Capacity - 4,500 - Eagles Stadium, Del City
    Capacity - 4,000 - Mustang High School Stadium
    Capacity - 4,000 - Edmond Memorial Stadium, Edmond
    Capacity - 4,000 - Jim Thorpe Stadium, Shawnee
    Capacity - 3,822 - Carl Albert Titans Football Field, Oklahoma City
    Capacity - 3,558 - Putnam City West Patriots Stadium, Oklahoma City
    Capacity - 3,600 - C. B. Speegle Stadium, Capitol Hill
    Capacity - 3,105 Moore High School Stadium, Moore

BTW: Capacity - 12,000 Chad Rickison Stadium, UCO campus is not equipped for soccer.

Metro Oklahoma City area stadiums: https://stadiumconnection.com/ok/reg...x.php?region=3

All of those stadiums have tracks which is the same problem at Taft, the pitch is too narrow. Plus take out any stadium under 5,000. That is the minimum required by the USL.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Surely John Crain field at OU would be sufficient as an interim home. I can't find definite dimensions but it certainly appears to meet USL requirements.
    Insufficient capacity. Need at least 5,000.

UCO’s stadium is both wide enough and has the capacity. Not sure why they didn’t go with that option (maybe UCO wouldn’t lease it to them, no idea).

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    UCO’s stadium is both wide enough and has the capacity. Not sure why they didn’t go with that option (maybe UCO wouldn’t lease it to them, no idea).
    Probably didn’t want to lease it to them. Plus watching a match with gridiron lines all over the place is annoying and a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Probably didn’t want to lease it to them. Plus watching a match with gridiron lines all over the place is annoying and a distraction.
    More annoying than just not playing for an indefinite period of time?

Blog Entries

What was their average home attendance the last year they played?

About 4,000 pre-covid. They could make a stadium with a compacity of 4,000 work on a temporary basis. Since the league knows a new stadium is in the works, they may waive that 5,000 requirement.

Drawing the line at 5k and get 0 revenue for the next few years just sounds like a dumb business decision for all parties involved.

Blog Entries

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_OKC_Energy_FC_season

Thread Information