Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415

Thread: Sam's Club

Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I’m curious to see how this Sam’s exit checker works. Will you have to scan something or how will it know who you are and what to verify against. Excited to see it in person in near future. I make weekly trips to Sam’s.
    I don't think you scan anything. You pay and walk out under one of the arches.

They track what you paid through the cash registers (self checkout or traditional) or Scan & Go. So they already know the items you've paid for; the cameras just compare that to what is in your cart.

Kinda of scary and cool at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I do like places with the QR code to pay on the check. One snap, Apple or Google Pay and on my way. Love it.
    Yes! I do like this kind of QR code usage! And the QR code for a dynamic menu is also a very good use of it, I agree.

3. Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think you scan anything. You pay and walk out under one of the arches.

They track what you paid through the cash registers (self checkout or traditional) or Scan & Go. So they already know the items you've paid for; the cameras just compare that to what is in your cart.

Kinda of scary and cool at the same time.
    I am sure there will be chaos in the early launch of this. Confusion on how it works and all that. I figured they might do one line traditional and one AI. No idea what technology. they are using but I am guessing it is similar to Mashgin or Radius AI that some convenience stores use.

I did read on a forum from Sams employees they expect more theft as apparently people empty out the large cup boxes and put items in there to steal. Now if only the robot mop would catch them.

these work at the Moore Location now

I've been to the 39th & May location twice since they started this automated receipt checking.

The first time an employee stopped me after passing through under the arch and said she needed to scan my receipt -- that the system isn't working 100%. Second time I tried to hand her my receipt and she said she didn't need it.

Hopefully they get the bugs worked out because as of now you have no idea if you need to stop or not.

I use scan and go exclusively and on Saturday at 39th and May we walked through, and I had my barcode ready and she said " I got you already, have a great day" and was looking at a handheld. Pretty cool and hopefully no more receipt lines.

Just got an email with this for the 39th & May location. No idea what it means.

8. Default Re: Sam's Club

Just got an email with this for the 39th & May location. No idea what it means.

They are making Plus worse. I am guessing the other update is grocery 2-hour through a partner like Costco does.

^

Free delivery is pretty sweet.

I've used it in the past and it's very convenient and efficient.

What's the current minimum? 50 dollars doesn't sound terrible for a store like Sam's where you usually buy in bulk. I easily end up paying over 50 dollars and have only 3 or 4 items.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    What's the current minimum? 50 dollars doesn't sound terrible for a store like Sam's where you usually buy in bulk. I easily end up paying over 50 dollars and have only 3 or 4 items.
    It's a $8 flat fee BUT they prompt you for a hefty tip (15-20%) on the entire order, so if you go that route you end up paying $30-$40 extra for a $200 order.

It's a $8 flat fee BUT they prompt you for a hefty tip (15-20%) on the entire order, so if you go that route you end up paying $30-$40 extra for a $200 order.
    I hate Hate HATE that we're expected to tip for everything now.

Don't give me a fake low price and then sneak tipping in at the last second. Pay your employees, price your product or service accordingly and don't hide the fact that I'm paying your employee's salary.

That's why I don't go to fancy coffee shops (I don't consider Around The Corner fancy) unless someone else wants to go. You're already earning $20/hr. What am I tipping you for? Because you swiveled the iPad around? That's worth 25%?

Sam’s Club announced that starting Aug. 19, it will no longer offer free shipping for all orders. Instead, customers must spend at least $50 before taxes to qualify for free or same-day shipping. If you spend less than $50, a flat rate of $8 will be charged.

Same-day shipping is a service offered to members who live within 15 miles of a Sam’s Club location. Previously an $8 fee was charged for all same-day deliveries.

Regular club members will be eligible for free pickup when they spend more than $50. This is a change from what used to be a flat rate of $4 for all orders. However, that flat rate fee will still apply for orders less than $50.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    That's why I don't go to fancy coffee shops (I don't consider Around The Corner fancy) unless someone else wants to go. You're already earning $20/hr. What am I tipping you for? Because you swiveled the iPad around? That's worth 25%?
    Counter-service with the swiveling iPad is the absolute worst.

1) Since when are we expected to tip for counter service and if we are, why shouldn't fast food people be tipped... Why not 7-11, OnCue, etc.?? ; and 2) they are asking for a tip while the employee is standing there and BEFORE any service has been provided; to me, this is the most egregious forced tipping practice.

One of the reasons I like Kroger delivery so much is they don't allow tipping.

No one has to tip anything if they don't want to. They just have to learn to not feel bad about it. Maybe just pretend you have a European accent?

These Walmart changes may be their way of removing tipping and being more competitive with Amazon. They may silently remove the tipping prompt. Imagine how much business Amazon would lose if people thought they had to tip their Amazon delivery driver?

Unless their legislation to force vendors to remove the tempting prompt customers will just have to take matters into their own hands.

My fear is these ones we joke about may not be far off....like tipping the Amazon driver when you make your Prime Order, or the counter at 7-11 or OnCue. I am still waiting for the self-checkout "convenience fee"

17. Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I hate Hate HATE that we're expected to tip for everything now.

Don't give me a fake low price and then sneak tipping in at the last second. Pay your employees, price your product or service accordingly and don't hide the fact that I'm paying your employee's salary.
    Deliveries aren't done by employees. They are done the same way as Doordash, Uber Eats, and other delivery apps. The "delivery fee" is mostly for the privilege of ordering. The contractor sees 25%-50% of that fee as "base pay," and the rest of their earnings is from the tip amount. In the case Spark (Walmart/Sam's), the contractor is not just picking up an order. They are doing the shopping in the store for you and checking out.

So think of Walmart/Sam's delivery as an errand matchmaking service, because that is essentially how it works. By placing your order, you're saying "I am willing to pay $X for someone else to do my shopping for me." Of course, there are people dumb enough on the other end to accept zero tip orders, and the platforms also incentivize acceptance of those orders.

Counter-service with the swiveling iPad is the absolute worst.

1) Since when are we expected to tip for counter service and if we are, why shouldn't fast food people be tipped... Why not 7-11, OnCue, etc.?? ; and 2) they are asking for a tip while the employee is standing there and BEFORE any service has been provided; to me, this is the most egregious forced tipping practice.

One of the reasons I like Kroger delivery so much is they don't allow tipping.
    Re-reading my post, it sounds a little strident. It was supposed to be a Seinfeld type of rant with my voice rising..."What are we tipping for!"

But that doesn't translate so well in the written word.

You mentioned it asking for a tip while the employee is standing there staring at you. I hate that. So uncomfortable. I try to hit no tip real quick before anyone sees what I'm doing but of course it doesn't register that click so I have to press longer and harder. Then they probably spit in my food. And I never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I am still waiting for the self-checkout "convenience fee"
    Yup

It's coming and I dread it.

20. Default Re: Sam's Club

You think so? To me, it seems like they're doing everything they can to reduce the number of staff it takes to do this.

If you're not a plus member, then you have to pay for even the pickup service, but if you pay for plus and do even a handful of pickups, you've paid for it. Between that and the rebates it offers, it really does pay for itself pretty quickly.

Not interested in delivery if there's the fee + tip and all...yuk. Pickup is fast and "free" to me with no tip bs.

Between scan and go and the scan your stuff for the receipt stuff, i would just be surprised if they started charging for anything like that. If they did, people would go back to the lines and that would cost them a lot more from having to staff back up and the lost money on the services/hardware/time that went into the other systems. Don't underestimate the public's desire to NOT spend extra on line item charges. Roll that into the cost and they dont care. But start itemizing it and they start protesting.

The Sam's gas station on I-35 in Edmond always seems to have at least one pump out of order. And it's a whack-a-mole guessing game to figure out which one it is before pulling up to it. I don't visit the Sam's gas station at Penn and Memorial as often but it doesn't seem to have this issue. And it has many more pumps and is laid out in a way that isn't as crowded.

Thread Information