Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Townsend in Park District

1. Edmond Townsend in Park District

"Building Culture has shared a storybook presentation promoting The Townsend, a coming mixed use development in Edmond's urban core at E. 3rd St. and Littler Ave." - Edmond Urbanist

Townsend

Dubbed the "Park District," this area around Stephenson Park features many great restaurants and shops within a short walking distance, along with Clegern Elementary, Russell Dougherty Elementary, and of course, the University of Central Oklahoma.

2. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Wheeler District 2.0

Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Holy Intentionally intentional intentionality, Batman!

In all seriousness, this is cool. I'm loving the area around Stephenson Park and it's one of the areas we're looking closely at for downsizing in a year or so.

That area is fantastic. The park, the restaurants.

Then, you have Sprouts (a full grocery store) right there, the rest of downtown Edmond, and UCO is close too.

If/when commuter rail commences, the station is right there.

5. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Wheeler District 2.0
    I said it long before ground was even broken in Wheeler District - you know, back when naysayers were complaining that ground hadn't been broken yet and suggesting that it might not even happen - that Wheeler could/should be transformational for the entire metro, showing folks who might be interested in more walkable, urbanist communities what it could look and feel like. I think I even said it won't be long before some Edmond folks in particular started asking "wait...why can't we have this in Edmond?"

I can go one step further and point out that Wheeler brought Building Culture to the OKC Metro, and that Wheeler-connected Carlton Landing is what brought them to Oklahoma to begin with. It's perfectly fine to say that neighborhoods like this aren't a person's particular cup of tea, but for hundreds (and likely thousands) of people and families it is EXACTLY what they are looking for. Healthy communities offer a diversity of lifestyle options.

6. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I said it long before ground was even broken in Wheeler District - you know, back when naysayers were complaining that ground hadn't been broken yet and suggesting that it might not even happen - that Wheeler could/should be transformational for the entire metro, showing folks who might be interested in more walkable, urbanist communities what it could look and feel like. I think I even said it won't be long before some Edmond folks in particular started asking "wait...why can't we have this in Edmond?"

I can go one step further and point out that Wheeler brought Building Culture to the OKC Metro, and that Wheeler-connected Carlton Landing is what brought them to Oklahoma to begin with. It's perfectly fine to say that neighborhoods like this aren't a person's particular cup of tea, but for hundreds (and likely thousands) of people and families it is EXACTLY what they are looking for. Healthy communities offer a diversity of lifestyle options.
    That's a fairly long-winded response to a simple comment that neither condemns nor condones Wheeler District or this development, but thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

I feel like social media, especially the OKC subreddit, had a weirdly vicious hatred for Wheeler when it was first announced and many proclaimed that it would never work/be built. Similar to the Olympic events being held here, I absolutely love when naysayers are proven wrong.

OKC and the rest of the state could use dozens of other Wheeler-esque developments.

8. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    That's a fairly long-winded response to a simple comment that neither condemns nor condones Wheeler District or this development, but thanks for sharing.
    It wasn’t directed at you. It was directed at the MULTIPLE people here and elsewhere who initially dogged Wheeler and questioned its viability for years. Go read the first who-knows-how-many pages of that thread on this very forum and see for yourself. Or read Jake’s post, beneath your own, and go check out the subreddit he mentions.

Your “Wheeler District 2.0” post merely reminded me that I’d previously made multiple comments refuting those posts, and predicting that in the future other developments in the metro would be modeled after it.

Well, the future is here. This despite Wheeler still being years from full completion. It’s the most consequential residential development here certainly in the past 50 years, probably more like 75, simply based on its form.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I feel like social media, especially the OKC subreddit, had a weirdly vicious hatred for Wheeler when it was first announced and many proclaimed that it would never work/be built. Similar to the Olympic events being held here, I absolutely love when naysayers are proven wrong.

OKC and the rest of the state could use dozens of other Wheeler-esque developments.
    Social media tends to react harshly toward any new housing project.

People tend to lash out against anything they don't understand and/or can't afford.

I guess I need to go back and read the early pages of the Wheeler thread. I thought everyone was on board and loved the idea. I know I certainly did. I was familiar, from a distance, with Carltons Landing and was excited about everything they wanted to do with Wheeler. I thought it was the bees knees. I thought it'd be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

The great success of Wheeler and even The Lark in downtown Edmond shows the demand for smaller homes on smaller lots with access to lots of amenities.

Other developers are starting to see the untapped potential.

Speaking of these types of developments is anything happening with Liberty Park in Edmond?

13. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I guess I need to go back and read the early pages of the Wheeler thread. I thought everyone was on board and loved the idea. I know I certainly did. I was familiar, from a distance, with Carltons Landing and was excited about everything they wanted to do with Wheeler. I thought it was the bees knees. I thought it'd be cooler than the other side of the pillow.
    I wouldn't bother reading much before page 20 unless you have lots of time to kill. Tons after that, and then it has peaks and valleys of negativity over time, much of it (somewhat) understandably driven by very little (and often no) visible activity on the site during planning phases. The dude from San Antonio who routinely shows up here to bag on OKC projects did indeed reliably show up to bag on this one, saying it would never happen or if anything did that it would only be a greatly watered down version of the master plan. But PLENTY of other ugly comments from various nonbelievers and committed wet blankets. Plenty of snide personal attacks on the developers, too. Lots of comments about how OKC homebuyers would never be interested in the home type, the density, the price points.

I do take this project a bit more personally than others, in part because I'm friendly with the developers (and many others involved with the project) and I believe in them, in part because I participated in the design charettes and also in a smaller and later planning group dedicated to siting and programming the Ferris wheel and surrounding plaza, in part because I'm still a bit astounded that OKC is home to a faithful Dover-Kohl planned development, and in part because I hope (and strongly believe) that it will fundamentally change residential and commercial development expectations for many people who live in the OKC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Speaking of these types of developments is anything happening with Liberty Park in Edmond?
    There was some zoning stuff recently but actual dirt moving, no. Nothing has started. When they announced they seemed like they would have things started by now but then interest rates went up so that probably slowed down their plans

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    There was some zoning stuff recently but actual dirt moving, no. Nothing has started. When they announced they seemed like they would have things started by now but then interest rates went up so that probably slowed down their plans
    Thanks for the update. It would be cool to see this happen.

I live in a “Wheeler District 2.0” around DT Edmond and love it. They’re building more behind us, and many around chitwood park (west of the Lark) have already been constructed and existing homes with “future new xxxxx construction” signs in front where they will be as well. This will essentially go from the new apartments all the way west to Kelly and south of 2nd.

I was unaware of this one and it looks fantastic, there’s also the Ember on NW corner of Boulevard and 9th under construction:

https://www.edmondember.com/

I really hope all these investors are also donating or helping with the downtown boom.

That is absolutely awesome that they are going to preserve a grove of trees. I love that.

These developments are a problem for some of us who moved here years ago. I hate the traffic i hate the traffic by my place. I want to still drive the roads and ride the roads on horse back or a cart. Its where you cannot even ride a bike safely or me check my mail box at the road. What about us who dont want to move and stil enjoy our life style????? I guess we dont count and will just be road kill. I am last few times at Sam's club I almost got hit while walking in the parking lot up to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    These developments are a problem for some of us who moved here years ago. I hate the traffic i hate the traffic by my place. I want to still drive the roads and ride the roads on horse back or a cart. Its where you cannot even ride a bike safely or me check my mail box at the road. What about us who dont want to move and stil enjoy our life style????? I guess we dont count and will just be road kill. I am last few times at Sam's club I almost got hit while walking in the parking lot up to the store.
    Maybe advocate for safer, more pedestrian friendly sidewalk, bike lane, and street designs to your city. But the downtown area of Edmond should absolutely have dense housing.

I mean, times change. Either adapt, or move somewhere else.

I echo what Dan said. If you want to have a walkable, ridable Edmond, support initiatives that expand bike lanes, sidewalks, mass transit, etc. The Edmond of the past is, well, past, but we can shape an Edmond of the future that still has that character and feel while adding in more people.

Blog Entries

Lotsa drama in this one.

Edmond downtown is developing into a nice urban setting. It is retaining a small town feel but with more urban amenities. Need to throw away a bunch of stereotypes. Edmond is starting to offer lots of alternatives for life styles.

Edmond Re: Townsend in Park District

Though Maybe Not the area that is being talked about, this is interesting and discusses Downtown Edmond and How it could improve a little bit

^^^
    Great video! Wonderful to see young Oklahomans trying to placemake in areas like downtown Edmond.

IIRC you live outside edmond city limits .... how does a downtown development do any of this to you??

Thread Information