Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kimray New Headquarters

Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This would be cool if this area turned into a nice industrial park. OKC needs a nicer higher end industrial park rather than the random clusters that are really shoddy or the just strung out along its freeways.
    I wish we had something like Mid America Industrial Park up near Tulsa!

Is this project still on track?

Any updates on this?

I haven't seen any movement (on the property or through the planning/permit process) for quite some time.

Is this project dead-dead?

^

No way to know.

They bought the land in 2014, have filed various planning documents, but as of today there has been no movement at the site whatsoever.

57 acres of this site and the property closest to the corner of Britton & Eastern will become a massive 178,000 SF delivery facility for Amazon.

This is a "last mile" facility; they had been leasing a small warehouse near Hefner & I-35 for this purpose. It's the same sort of facility as 6101 SW 44th and 6801 S. Air Depot.

Based on the number of employee parking spaces, looks like they will employ several hundred. I assume this means the Kimray HQ project is dead.

Mixed emotions on this one.

This area has been so stagnant for so long - just kind of in suspended animation for my whole life.

I guess I thought these general square miles between Broadway and I-35 had the potential to one day develop into nice residential areas due to the marginally prettier landscape of the area and the location. (I know there is a perception of public school district quality). Barring that I could have seen east Britton as higher-end office a la some of what has been developed a little closer to Broadway.

Big industrial warehouses don't really seem to fit. Particularly a couple of miles from either Broadway or I-35. I just don't love the idea of introducing a new warehouse district there. But it's not my land, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Mixed emotions on this one.

This area has been so stagnant for so long - just kind of in suspended animation for my whole life.

I guess I thought these general square miles between Broadway and I-35 had the potential to one day develop into nice residential areas due to the marginally prettier landscape of the area and the location. (I know there is a perception of public school district quality). Barring that I could have seen east Britton as higher-end office a la some of what has been developed a little closer to Broadway.

Big industrial warehouses don't really seem to fit. Particularly a couple of miles from either Broadway or I-35. I just don't love the idea of introducing a new warehouse district there. But it's not my land, I suppose.
    For families with kids, this is usually the number one thing to consider. Was for us anyways, second thing we considered was closedness to jobs, then closeness to amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    57 acres of this site and the property closest to the corner of Britton & Eastern will become a massive 178,000 SF delivery facility for Amazon.

This is a "last mile" facility; they have been leasing a small warehouse near Hefner & I-35 for this purpose. It's the same sort of facility as 6101 SW 44th and 6801 S. Air Depot.

Based on the number of employee parking spaces, looks like they will employ several hundred. I assume this means the Kimray HQ project is dead.

Did Amazon buy the land, or is it a leaseback from Kimray?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Did Amazon buy the land, or is it a leaseback from Kimray?
    Kimray still owns it but since these plans were just filed, often sales don't close until planning and permit approvals are in hand.

80 percent of the employees will work for DSPs not Amazon But anyone who has a decently clean record criminal and driving the past 7 years and can pass a drug test(thc is fine) can make decent amount of money..the only issue is every DSP is different some are career builders some can’t keep employees to save their life

Kimray still owns it but since these plans were just filed, often sales don't close until planning and permit approvals are in hand.
    So when you say, the Kimray project is dead, Does that mean they’re just going back to square one with this project basing it around this Amazon warehouse? Is there still a potential for a commercial site like what was planned with the original proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So when you say, the Kimray project is dead, Does that mean they’re just going back to square one with this project basing it around this Amazon warehouse? Is there still a potential for a commercial site like what was planned with the original proposal?
    Since this warehouse is taking half the property and it's not very attractive, it's hard to imagine Kimray will build its HQ on this site.

Since this warehouse is taking half the property and it's not very attractive, it's hard to imagine Kimray will build its HQ on this site.
    OK thanks for the response. I still think this is a good thing. It will activate the area a bit and provide more jobs. I wonder what’s going on with Kimray. They still plan on building a new HQ somewhere else or what their plan is. Given the fact, they own this property that should provide them with some extra money.

16. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

would be LOVELY if Kimray took commercial space downtown or in the NW Business district for their HQ.

I wish there was a mechanism for downtown to promote itself for commercial leasing, similiar to DowntownOKC Inc but for filling space. We don't need to have hq right next to operations and in fact might be better for recruiting to be downtown near other office workers and all the action.

Anyway - would love to see/hear what Kimray's plans are.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

If you look at Kiray's plan, the majority of the space is for warehouse, loading docks and trucks.

Not a good candidate to locate downtown or really any office district.

18. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Im not in any way suggesting they move those warehouse, loading docks and trucks to downtown. I said move the corporate office functions ONLY. I specifically said office workers.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Im not in any way suggesting they move those warehouse, loading docks and trucks to downtown. I said move the corporate office functions ONLY. I specifically said office workers.
    I don't think they have enough to justify a major downtown lease or building.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I don't think they have enough to justify a major downtown lease or building.
    Plus, separating executives , sales and marketing, and other functions from the operations probably isn't their most efficient option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Plus, separating executives , sales and marketing, and other functions from the operations probably isn't their most efficient option.
    No interest in the Boeing game plan?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    No interest in the Boeing game plan?
    Little difference in scale.

CEO Tom Hill had a son in line for succession, but he left Kimray years ago. If no heirs remain working in the business, one wonders what Hill's succession plans are, including seeking a buyer.

24. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    CEO Tom Hill had a son in line for succession, but he left Kimray years ago. If no heirs remain working in the business, one wonders what Hill's succession plans are, including seeking a buyer.
    Anyone know why David Hill, Tom III's brother, left Kimray? He and Tom ran the company together for several years after Tom II stepped down as CEO, but he eventually left and now owns MAR-K Manufacturing in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Anyone know why David Hill, Tom III's brother, left Kimray? He and Tom ran the company together for several years after Tom II stepped down as CEO, but he eventually left and now owns MAR-K Manufacturing in OKC.
    I recall reading in the Oklahoman a few years ago that one of the brothers had left on good terms, but is was due to differing Christian affiliations. One of them (I'm guessing David, since I remember he did buy the pick-up truck parts business MAR-K) had moved to the Catholic church, the rest of the family has been evangelical, and operated Kimray with an evangelical focus.

Thread Information