Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Buy

Default Best Buy

I went to the Best Buy on May near NW Expressway today and was shocked.

It seemed very empty and dated.

They had moved checkout from east of the main doors to the west and just left patched carpet and nothingness. No idea when this happened because I hadn't been there in years but it looks shabby.

I know they completely remodeled and upgraded their Memorial store. Are they just letting this May location die on the vine?

Default Re: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

They had moved checkout from east of the main doors to the west and just left patched carpet and nothingness. No idea when this happened because I hadn't been there in years but it looks shabby.

I know they completely remodeled and upgraded their Memorial store. Are they just letting this May location die on the vine?
    I don't know how these places stay open really. I went into the one on Memorial (about 2 years ago) and thought it was sad even then. I can't even remember why I went in there. I just haven't been into one in years.

I bought something there back in March. The registers were on west side then.
    It did give almost like an outlet feel where nothing spent making store look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I don't know how these places stay open really. I went into the one on Memorial (about 2 years ago) and thought it was sad even then. I can't even remember why I went in there. I just haven't been into one in years.
    It's still a go to place for businesses to get those IT items they need same day. I know our IT guys buy lots of stuff online, but if they need to go to another office and need cables or monitors or something, they swing by Best Buy because it's still the best one stop shop for electronics.

I do imagine store traffic is down significantly though and they could probably use less stores.

5. Default Re: Best Buy

I would imagine in the markets where Conn was, that they will get a little more business now. They're not really in the business of music or small items any longer. They've turned into big TVs/Stereos/Cell Phones/Appliances. It's a weird mix, but it's definitely not the Best Buy we once visited as teenagers or young adults. I mean props to them for being able to pivot as the world changed though. The stores are all bigger than they need to be now, but it also doesn't help them to spend money to cut part of it off. Just keep them more roomy in the lease you already have and that you wont be able to split part of the store off from.

Ever remember going in Gordman's and feeling like the whole store was so jammed full that it was going to fall in on you? Well, enjoy the open spaces at Best Buy

They honestly do have some good sales sometimes if you catch the right thing at the right time. And for those super larger tvs, its hard to find many other places around town that can offer the brands and the sizes. And they are still the convenience store. If your router goes out, yeah you can get it on amazon and it might be a few bucks cheaper, but you probably wont get it same day. So it depends on if you can wait or need it NOW. I'd rather spend a few more and go to BB than step foot in Wally world.

After putting it off forever, I finally decided to make an appointment for data recovery on an old laptop. I'm doing a massive organization of all my photos and files and there is stuff on that thing that I want to save.

So, I made an appointment with Geek Squad. They were really helpful; it's going to take a couple of days and cost about $200, but the laptop hard drive will get completely replaced and my data restored. Thus far, they have been great to work with.

I think Sams, Costco, and Amazon have really hurt Best Buy. BB is really the last of a dying breed.

After putting it off forever, I finally decided to make an appointment for data recovery on an old laptop. I'm doing a massive organization of all my photos and files and there is stuff on that thing that I want to save.

So, I made an appointment with Geek Squad. They were really helpful; it's going to take a couple of days and cost about $200, but the laptop hard drive will get completely replaced and my data restored. Thus far, they have been great to work with.

I think Sams, Costco, and Amazon have really hurt Best Buy. BB is really the last of a dying breed.

I'm surprised Best Buy is still around. I have bought a few things from Memorial last few years & it's good but I haven't been to the May location in forever. When I was younger I would swing by frequently to check things, it was just something to do & occasionally get something. I really figured they would go out of business years ago but they've managed to adapt & survive.

If you cross-shop, their prices are pretty competitive.

I think people just feel Sam's and Costco are cheaper (and they often are, but not always) and never consider Best Buy.

10. Default Re: Best Buy

I cross shopped for the TV I wanted and Best Buy was actually cheaper for the same model. Had it in stock and great experience.

I also had them do a battery fix for my iPhone a long while ago and had no issues at all.

We will cross price them and they are pretty competitive. Can order on the website and pick up at store. Like I mentioned in the Sam's thread, I play the points game and get Delta points on the purchase on top of my AMEX points. There ae some exclusions but 3 points per dollar. Used to get BB points also but they changed it up where you have to have their credit card

I think you're getting a great deal at that price of it's done successfully. Especially if it's not something one is comfortable doing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I cross shopped for the TV I wanted and Best Buy was actually cheaper for the same model. Had it in stock and great experience.

I also had them do a battery fix for my iPhone a long while ago and had no issues at all.
    Yes, I have bought my last several TVs at BB. I have found their stock and prices to be at least as good as places online, plus getting it same day is always big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Yes, I have bought my last several TVs at BB. I have found their stock and prices to be at least as good as places online, plus getting it same day is always big for me.
    Not having to ship it if you are processing a replacement or return is also really nice.

That breed being big box stores. So ubiquitous in the 90s. All but gone now.

BB may have competitive prices but it's a bit of a niche store. As for Sam's, Costco and Walmart, it's convenient. You're already there buying 64 rolls of paper towels and a $1.35 dog and drink combo, get a piece of electronics while you're at it. And those who don't, go online.

When making a sizeable purchase (laptop, tv,etc) I check BB prices alongside several others.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Not having to ship it if you are processing a replacement or return is also really nice.
    plus they are offering a lot more of "ship to store for pickup" options on even items they don't regularly carry in store, so now you have a dedicated truck bringing it, and don't have to worry about UPS throwing your electronics around or just leaving on your door for someone to take

If you cross-shop, their prices are pretty competitive.

I think people just feel Sam's and Costco are cheaper (and they often are, but not always) and never consider Best Buy.
    I don't know if Sam's does, but Costco usually throws in an extra year or two of the warranty, and does free delivery through Costco Direct. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't warranty extensions still an upsell at Best Buy through their GeekSquad program?

I'll agree that on a lot of TV's, Best Buy is very competitive in pricing, and maybe unsurprisingly, when I have compared their pricing to Amazon, they can usually beat Amazon on larger TV pricing due to having the item in stock locally, versus Amazon having to navigate shipping costs within Prime pricing. They also carry a wide selection of the higher end/premium TV's and premium home theatre speakers.

All that being said, if I had to buy a TV or appliance, Costco Direct would probably be my first choice.

18. Default Re: Best Buy

I almost always go to the BB on Penn and Memorial. After the CD stores all died, I went to BB weekly for new released... until they even stopped selling CDs. There is just not a reason to go in there anymore unless you need something, especially if you don't want (or can't) wait for delivery). It does seem like this location remodels every 6 months, but that I don't go in near as often as I used to. I have noticed that if Sam's beats BB price on a TV, printer, or whatever, it's typically only by a few cents to a dollar, only occasionally have I seen a much bigger difference.

The Best Buy's out here in California are always busy and doing business. The times I have been at the Memorial location they seemed to be doing okay.

The Muskogee Best Buy closed about 4 years ago. Hopefully, the Stillwater Best Buy can stay open.

https://abc7.com/best-buy-closing-more-stores/14550882/

Thread Information