Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paris Olympics

Blog Entries

Default Re: Paris Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder how all these foreign athletes arrange to stay in the U.S.?

For example, Kirani James 'from Grenada' moved to the U.S. 14 years ago, went to Alabama, and still lives in Tuscaloosa.

Pretty much the same for Josh Kerr 'from Great Britain'; went to New Mexico and still lives in Albuquerque even though he's been out of school for several years. I could name hundreds more.

These athletes tend to stay in their college town 1) to keep being coached by their college coach as they aspire to the Olympics; and 2) because they have easy access to training facilities, not just pools and tracks but weights and likely all the related things like strength coaches, nutritionists, medical attention, physical therapy, etc. Who is paying for all this? All of them list 'athlete' as their profession; there is prize money involved for various international competitions but I doubt many of these guys make much, especially right out of college.

All full-time university students from other countries are here on F-1 visas and as soon as their status changes to graduate or part-time, they have 60 days to arrange for travel back home.

Pro athletes (such as the NBA or NHL and are employed in the U.S.) are different and are granted H-2B visas.
    So, what are you suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, what are you suggesting?
    Not suggesting anything, just trying to figure out how this all works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder how all these foreign athletes arrange to stay in the U.S.?

For example, Kirani James 'from Grenada' moved to the U.S. 14 years ago, went to Alabama, and still lives in Tuscaloosa.

Pretty much the same for Josh Kerr 'from Great Britain'; went to New Mexico and still lives in Albuquerque even though he's been out of school for several years. I could name hundreds more.

These athletes tend to stay in their college town 1) to keep being coached by their college coach as they aspire to the Olympics; and 2) because they have easy access to training facilities, not just pools and tracks but weights and likely all the related things like strength coaches, nutritionists, medical attention, physical therapy, etc. Who is paying for all this? All of them list 'athlete' as their profession; there is prize money involved for various international competitions but I doubt many of these guys make much, especially right out of college.

All full-time university students from other countries are here on F-1 visas and as soon as their status changes to graduate or part-time, they have 60 days to arrange for travel back home.

Pro athletes (such as the NBA or NHL and are employed in the U.S.) are different and are granted H-2B visas.
    From a 2012 NYT article:
    According to Renaldo Nehemiah, the former star hurdler who is now James’smanager, James will soon be applying for a non-immigrant visa that would allowhim to cut his course load, although James, an academic sophomore, said heremains intent on working toward a degree. But Nehemiah said that James’s visastatus is unlikely to change for several months, which means that while his rivalstrain and recover and then repeat with London in their sights, James will probablykeep staying up late to study for finals before the school year ends in May.He will also have to manage his celebrity role and sponsorship obligations inGrenada. He has returned twice in the last three months and will visit again thismonth, appearing at the island’s Primary School Games.
    So, presumably, they get non-immigrant visas. Probably one of the O-1 or P-1 series. I think they usually wouldn't be an H-2B for that. But I haven't done immigration work in like a decade at this point.

Yukon's own Vernon Turner, State and NCAA champion high jumper, Competes this week.

Good Luck Vernon !

5. Default Re: Paris Olympics

I'm watching the 3 meter women's springboard live. The commentator just said watching these divers is much like watching the NCAA Championships over again. Thought it was funny considering this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    From a 2012 NYT article:

So, presumably, they get non-immigrant visas. Probably one of the O-1 or P-1 series. I think they usually wouldn't be an H-2B for that. But I haven't done immigration work in like a decade at this point.
    it's actually the P-1A even that most get. here are the requirements for that 5 year Visa

Sponsored by a League, Owner, or Agent

and fit into one of the following categories

They demonstrate an internationally recognized level of performance (individually or as part of a team)
    They are a member of a team in an association of six or more professional teams with combined annual revenues greater than $10 million
    They are a member of a US team or franchise and a member of a foreign league or association of 15 or more amateur sports teams under the COMPETE Act
    They are a professional or amateur athlete in a theatrical ice-skating production

if they are recognized by the IOC or other international sports organizations, then most fall into the first one of those listed.

if they are not yet globally ranked or in a field that isn't globally ranked with no international organization they do then sometimes go for the O-1 Visa, but that is just 3 years and more strict

if they are just here for training, they can easily get a 6 month B-1 or B-2 visa

I have to say when it comes to this conversation about athletes and where they are from, it's gotten so complicated today. Like Pete said many of these athletes of other countries have lived and trained in the USA especially universities for years. I can't help but think in a way that the USA has at least a partial "claim" when it comes to the medal tracker. Someone like Mondo Duplantis is a great example. Dude is American, but competes for Sweden to honor his mother who was a famed pole vaulter for Sweden. She moved to America, met her now Husband at LSU, and then never left. As far as I'm concerned Mondo's records are just as much American as they are Swedish, maybe more in his particular case. But he isn't the only one like this. It just goes to show you how interconnected the world is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I have to say when it comes to this conversation about athletes and where they are from, it's gotten so complicated today. Like Pete said many of these athletes of other countries have lived and trained in the USA especially universities for years. I can't help but think in a way that the USA has at least a partial "claim" when it comes to the medal tracker. Someone like Mondo Duplantis is a great example. Dude is American, but competes for Sweden to honor his mother who was a famed pole vaulter for Sweden. She moved to America, met her now Husband at LSU, and then never left. As far as I'm concerned Mondo's records are just as much American as they are Swedish, maybe more in his particular case. But he isn't the only one like this. It just goes to show you how interconnected the world is.
    Joel Embiid playing for USA Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Joel Embiid playing for USA Basketball.
    Embiid went to high school and college in the U.S., lives here, works here, and is a U.S. citizen.

Thread Information