Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Houston

Default Re: Houston

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    You say that like Texas is some liberal, progressive bastion, at the state-level...They just have a ton of money in other ways (mainly O&G), they can afford to not have state income tax and spend that O&G money on luring companies there.

They spend more on education, sure. But it isn't like they are some uber-educated populace. They just have so many more people, that even a 1 or 2% difference in people with degrees is a massive difference.
    True but UT is a pretty damn good school that blows anything we have in Oklahoma out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    True but UT is a pretty damn good school that blows anything we have in Oklahoma out of the water.
    You're right. But most of that comes.from endowments. Nit necessarily from state funding.

But you are right. Oklahoma colleges get pretty decent funding, especially compared to secondary education. But they can always improve.

You're right. But most of that comes.from endowments. Nit necessarily from state funding.

But you are right. Oklahoma colleges get pretty decent funding, especially compared to secondary education. But they can always improve.
    Good news is international flights are coming.

But Oklahoma being the republican state that it is and higher taxes not being the conservatives favorite thing in the world, one would think it shouldn't be that hard to remove the income tax.

And yeah I am sure Texas having a sh!t ton of money has a little to do with it as well. But are they just throwing money at these corporations? Like Space X and Chevron. Were they given money from the state to relocate their HQ there? It seems to me they just fled Cali and unlike the Amazon debacle where they were asking for huge incentives the other two companies I mentioned just dipped immediately. Both chose Texas.

But Oklahoma being the republican state that it is and higher taxes not being the conservatives favorite thing in the world, one would think it shouldn't be that hard to remove the income tax.

And yeah I am sure Texas having a sh!t ton of money has a little to do with it as well. But are they just throwing money at these corporations? Like Space X and Chevron. Were they given money from the state to relocate their HQ there? It seems to me they just fled Cali and unlike the Amazon debacle where they were asking for huge incentives the other two companies I mentioned just dipped immediately. Both chose Texas.
    We won't know all of the details behind the scenes, but yes. Companies are given incentives to move there. I know this for a fact. It isn't public, because they know Texas will offer them.

We won't know all of the details behind the scenes, but yes. Companies are given incentives to move there. I know this for a fact. It isn't public, because they know Texas will offer them.
    Well, I know Oklahoma has said they have this new program where it seems like they want to do the same thing so maybe it'll start working someday.

Texas is a house of cards that will eventually collapse. And Oklahoma will be the first in line to benefit. And the results will be beyond even our wildest imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Texas is a house of cards that will eventually collapse. And Oklahoma will be the first in line to benefit. And the results will be beyond even our wildest imaginations.
    Not sure how true it is but I’ve read Austin is facing some serious issues.

Blog Entries

Is this just something that will have to happen organically or can the city and/or state do more I know they can push education in the right way and fund them better but Walters seems more concerned about bible studies.
    Our public education is 48th out of 50 states. They have actually gotten worse since Stitt and Walters. Didn't think that was possible.

How so? Evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Our public education is 48th out of 50 states. They have actually gotten worse since Stitt and Walters. Didn't think that was possible.
    Imagine that!

They need to close some of these state directional universities. That would help.

Yet another major headquarter relocation announcement for the great state of Texas. Chevron is moving its headquarters from California to Houston. God, I wish Oklahoma City would just get one of these.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/08...as-california/
    i hear what you’re saying but there’s no way Chevron ever would’ve relocated here. They’ve had a huge office in Houston since their merger with Texaco in 2000, most of their operations were in Texas, offshore or international and they have few if any ties to Oklahoma or the mid-continent area. They had already spun off most of their upstream assets in California into a separate company (California Resources) five years ago and I’m frankly surprised they were still headquartered there at all given how horrendous their state government is from an business standpoint (especially for the oil and gas industry). It’s news worthy because it’s crazy that the former Standard Oil of California is leaving California but the announcement felt like a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    How so? Evidence?
    Too many tax breaks and too much growth too fast will eventually catch up to them.

Too many tax breaks and too much growth too fast will eventually catch up to them.
    And no zoning ordinances either

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    i hear what you’re saying but there’s no way Chevron ever would’ve relocated here. They’ve had a huge office in Houston since their merger with Texaco in 2000, most of their operations were in Texas, offshore or international and they have few if any ties to Oklahoma or the mid-continent area. They had already spun off most of their upstream assets in California into a separate company (California Resources) five years ago and I’m frankly surprised they were still headquartered there at all given how horrendous their state government is from an business standpoint (especially for the oil and gas industry). It’s news worthy because it’s crazy that the former Standard Oil of California is leaving California but the announcement felt like a formality.
    Yeah I’m not in the oil and gas industry, but I figured that Oklahoma would have a base on the moon before Chevron would relocate their HQ to OKC. I’m just saying with all these corporate relocations going to Texas. It would be nice if just one of them would come to Oklahoma. it’s just baffling to me how many corporate HQ’s are moving to Texas.

Blog Entries

Yes, i guess to some, prosperity can be a serious issue.

Those reasons are why Texas will continue to have these large relocations and Oklahoma (or Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, etc) will not. We have to grow our local companies organically and fight like hell to keep them here.
    Agree about local companies and keeping growth organically with existing companies in Oklahoma. I also advocate growth from the outside with new companies bringing in new human capital, money, tax payers and new ideas. Oklahoma still depends on the O&G industry, however everyone knows it is a boom and bust mentality and unpredictable. If Oklahoma "truly" wanted to attract big companies they would "change" their business climate and value higher education.

Unlike other Texas cities, Austin has given inadequate and misguided attention to infrastructure to support their population - even before the spectacular population growth of the past 20 years. As an example, their city government, when looking at building rail public transportation, proposed almost laughable line routes - stopping short of major logical destinations - so citizens voted down the proposals. Now that the population has exploded, their infrastructure is woefully inadequate.

As often happens in wild construction sprees, they have seen some excess office space in but it's just a tech slowdown from insane growth rates to more normal rates.

Thread Information