Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

How about the course SW of Wilshire and Broadway Extension? I think the sign may still be there...round and repurposed

2. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    There was also a 9 hole par 3 golf course and batting cages on the east side of Western across from Downtown Airport.
    I remember a driving range being there, but I don’t think I ever knew about the other stuff. Possible that it was gone before I moved to OKC and/or before I became familiar with that part of town. So mid-late 80s.

3. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    How about the course SW of Wilshire and Broadway Extension? I think the sign may still be there...round and repurposed
    It’s the home for Ball Golf. I think the Balls took it over after the course folded and still have a range area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are two big mini-golf chains looking for OKC locations right now:

https://www.puttery.com/

https://popstroke.com/
    Any new news you could share on popstroke?

There was also a 9 hole par 3 golf course and batting cages on the east side of Western across from Downtown Airport.
    I used to practically live at Wheeler Park playing softball and don't remember this. How far back might this be?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I used to practically live at Wheeler Park playing softball and don't remember this. How far back might this be?
    https://jrspubandgrill.com/

7. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

It's been awhile... I think the course closed in the 80's... The most visible view on Google Earth is April 1990 and it doesn't appear to still be active in that view.

Late 70s. around 1977-1980 time frame, maybe longer. I worked with the guy that bought it around that time at the Western Electric plant. His name was Joe Richard. Not sure about the last name spelling. I worked at a lawn mower shop when I was in high school so I knew a lot about lawn mowers. I would work on the lawn mowers occasionally Joe used to use to mow the golf course. I don't remember if it was a full 9 hole course, but is was all Par 3 holes for however many holes it had. And it had some batting cages too. Around 1981 I worked in a different area of the plant on a different shift and didn't see Joe much after that. I think he had a farm way south in OKC too.

9. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

I think I hit balls there (the place across from what is now Wheeler) once, shortly after moving to OKC. I moved here in '86, and by 1991 I was working downtown and it was definitely not an option at that point.

Also, just to be clear, it was across Western east from what is now Wheeler DISTRICT, as opposed to Wheeler PARK, which is across the river. At the time Wheeler DISTRICT was the Downtown Airport.

I was there 1 time around 1979-80. All I remember is there was a cute girl working the snack bar & box office, and she was sneaking swigs off a beer when we walked up to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think I hit balls there (the place across from what is now Wheeler) once, shortly after moving to OKC. I moved here in '86, and by 1991 I was working downtown and it was definitely not an option at that point.

Also, just to be clear, it was across Western east from what is now Wheeler DISTRICT, as opposed to Wheeler PARK, which is across the river. At the time Wheeler DISTRICT was the Downtown Airport.
    Yes it was on the east side of Western across from Downtown Airport. Maybe a tad to the south rather than directly across the street.

12. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

I'm with you. I played softball at Wheeler, River Park, etc. for years and I don't remember that being there. Tunnel vision I guess.

i have no memory of this place, but here is an aerial from 1984. you can see the downtown airport on the left, western in the middle, and what appears to be a small minigolf course on the right...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15thWestern.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	756.2 KB 
ID:	19059

You can see the Par 3 course (the greens) in that photo too. Looks like a miniature golf too. I don't remember that, but I never went there. Joe used to bring his mowers to my house to work on them.

Late 70s. around 1977-1980 time frame, maybe longer. I worked with the guy that bought it around that time at the Western Electric plant. His name was Joe Richard. Not sure about the last name spelling. I worked at a lawn mower shop when I was in high school so I knew a lot about lawn mowers. I would work on the lawn mowers occasionally Joe used to use to mow the golf course. I don't remember if it was a full 9 hole course, but is was all Par 3 holes for however many holes it had. And it had some batting cages too. Around 1981 I worked in a different area of the plant on a different shift and didn't see Joe much after that. I think he had a farm way south in OKC too.
    I have a limited familiarity with the Rischard's through work so I thought I'd pass this along. Unfortunately, Joe passed away a few years ago. But JRs Pub and Grill posted above at I-44 and SW 149th St was Joe Rischard's as well. And yes, he had a Sod Farm in South OKC. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=13894899

Joe was a nice guy and I liked him a lot.

17. Default Re: Anyone remember putt putt business on NW 39th St...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i have no memory of this place, but here is an aerial from 1984. you can see the downtown airport on the left, western in the middle, and what appears to be a small minigolf course on the right...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15thWestern.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	756.2 KB 
ID:	19059
    Wow. I even did a lot of electrical work in the late 70s, early 80s for Downtown Airpark. Some of it in those hangars. And I still don't remember the golf stuff being there. Again, must have been tunnel vision on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I have a limited familiarity with the Rischard's through work so I thought I'd pass this along. Unfortunately, Joe passed away a few years ago. But JRs Pub and Grill posted above at I-44 and SW 149th St was Joe Rischard's as well. And yes, he had a Sod Farm in South OKC. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=13894899
    I never knew about JR's Pub and Grill and that it was Joe's. It looks like it is still there and open even after Joe's passing. And knowing Joe I'm not surprised it also has a mini golf, par 3 course and a driving range. Like I said I didn't keep in touch with Joe after about 1981 because of different work shift and placement at the plant.

Apparently the two Putt Putt locations (This one and south Western opened between June an August of 1972.

They got boring pretty quick, but the memory is still a good one in that "innocent" pre-internet time.

Thread Information