Widgets Magazine
Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464109110111112113114
Results 2,826 to 2,844 of 2844

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Good photos, Pete. It’s amazing how quick it’s all coming together from what it was. Now just imagine how it will look like within the next 10 years or so when this entire block is filled up and they start construction on the other side of western. I believe they’re planning some sort of a bike path or something on an abandoned rail bridge.
    There is going to be a Rail trail from the north river trail (using the rail bridge) continuing onto Agnew. There will also be a new trail from Westwood Blvd going along the north of Twin Creek where it will cross Western and reconnect with the river trail.

Should make the area much more accessible to the river trails. And hopefully providing some more opportunities for people in the Wheeler district to interact with folks in the Will Rogers courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a bridal shop in the condo building (first photo), which looks full.
    I've been needing some tack for my horse.

When is the sushi spot opening? The pop-up at Stone cloud was phenomenal

4. Default Re: Wheeler District

Coolest development in the entire state. Love the progress pictures!

5. Default Re: Wheeler District

really, REALLY need the sidewalks to be built ON Western!!! I'm not sure why this isn't a priority, but today's accident likely could have been prevented if the child/ren had a sidewalk to walk on.

Come on OKC! ALL arterials need sidewalks, esp in the urban core.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Re: Wheeler District

The city does not care about pedestrian safety, despite the grand pronouncements. We have been raising alarm for years that Western is treated as an interstate, with cars regularly going 60 mph, and the city just shrugs and says the best they can do is put up one of those speed signs that tells the cars how fast they’re are going, but the residents have to pay for it themselves. Jo Beth Hamon has been absolutely useless as an advocate on this point, despite her alleged dedication to pedestrian and cyclist safety. We are very fortune the child and his sister weren’t killed. But it’s going to happen. The street is simply designed for death.

Sorry, I’m just extremely pissed off a young child was nearly killed because of this well known issue and nothing is being done.

^

That stretch of Western is an absolute racetrack. Just turning left out of Wheeler is a challenge.

They need to put two lights at Wheeler which would go a long way toward slowing the crazy traffic.

^

That stretch of Western is an absolute racetrack. Just turning left out of Wheeler is a challenge.

They need to put two lights at Wheeler which would go a long way toward slowing the crazy traffic.
    This city already has a traffic light pandemic.

Is the center median at 15h street and the traffic circle further south not still planned?

https://www.wheelerdistrict.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    This city already has a traffic light pandemic.
    It would be goofy to ignore the safety hazard this stretch in particular is because other parts of the city have more lights than what some want. The biggest issue with traffic lights is that people think they shouldn’t be inconvenienced while driving and nothing is more of an inconvenience to drivers than waiting or having patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    It would be goofy to ignore the safety hazard this stretch in particular is because other parts of the city have more lights than what some want. The biggest issue with traffic lights is that people think they shouldn’t be inconvenienced while driving and nothing is more of an inconvenience to drivers than waiting or having patience.
    My statement does not say we need to ignore the issue, but thanks.

^

Didn't the original plans have a roundabout at the entrance of Wheeler? Maybe that can materialize once the west side is built out and they start work on the east side... in 10 years...

Wheeler just filed to rezone the property east of Western.

In all their masterplans they show roundabouts on Western but I'm sure that's just conceptual.

any word on when they are going to connect the streets to the west?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    any word on when they are going to connect the streets to the west?
    They are supposed to tie in to SW 15th Street and driving by it this weekend they are moving dirt going north of 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    My statement does not say we need to ignore the issue, but thanks.
    I didn’t say you did. Your comment was vague enough to not really take much of a stance from, but the sentiment around stop lights has been shared before and in light of that, I’m not sure what else “the city already has a traffic light pandemic” would mean in response to the call for lights in this section of roadway other than if stoplights are the solution to this problem then the problem should continue to exist. Can it be improved without stoplights? Sure. Would that solution actually slow people down? To an extent, probably. But like I said, writing off stoplights as a solution in a developing residential area that has people regularly driving 60+ nearby is a rough approach.

Wheeler just filed to rezone the property east of Western.

In all their masterplans they show roundabouts on Western but I'm sure that's just conceptual.

i've always thought that wheeler park would make a great entertainment district, anchored possibly by a stadium and public spaces like art plazas, galleries, hotels and medium height residential apartment buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC2017 View Post
    i've always thought that wheeler park would make a great entertainment district, anchored possibly by a stadium and public spaces like art plazas, galleries, hotels and medium height residential apartment buildings.
    Imagine the city putting the new multi purpose stadium here. Instead, the stadium and the proposed TIF around the coop will be leveraged to make the site economically viable. Consider me a skeptic as the rhetoric and promises coming out about the surrounding development seem eerily similar to the original lower bricktown proposal. The playbook is overpromise for subsidies and then under deliver. The question should be considered what if the multi purpose stadium was placed at Wheeler Park? How would this impact be for the surrounding area like Wheeler and Capitol Hill. Why would propping up a development with 100’s of millions in subsidies make more sense????

My question to you all is why are we still needing TIF subsidies and MAPS subsidies in an area that literally BILLIONS of private and public dollars have been sunk into? My answer is we don’t. It is benefiting speculative developers at the cost of our taxpayers. My 2 cents.

19. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The city does not care about pedestrian safety, despite the grand pronouncements. We have been raising alarm for years that Western is treated as an interstate, with cars regularly going 60 mph, and the city just shrugs and says the best they can do is put up one of those speed signs that tells the cars how fast they’re are going, but the residents have to pay for it themselves. Jo Beth Hamon has been absolutely useless as an advocate on this point, despite her alleged dedication to pedestrian and cyclist safety. We are very fortune the child and his sister weren’t killed. But it’s going to happen. The street is simply designed for death.

Sorry, I’m just extremely pissed off a young child was nearly killed because of this well known issue and nothing is being done.
    I hear you King and echo your concerns. Hopefully, this near miss will encourage the city to act or at least the developer to get serious about pedestrian interaction (and perhaps put in the round-about.

On that note, I'm really loving the master plan overall. what an impact this will make to the southside of OKC when finished (even now, its the best neighborhood). I truly wish this a success and that can be a model for additional neighborhood density throughout the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information