Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

I wonder if some of that retail will be a grocer.

I'm glad there will finally be a connection south to Wilshire.

3. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

I am thinking about this central spot: What does everyone else want to see?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family fun area.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	18986

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    You can't park on a tree.
    Not with that attitude, you can't

Dear richest people in OKC,

Please build something unique and inspiring here, and save us from having to look at ugly developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Dear richest people in OKC,

Please build something unique and inspiring here, and save us from having to look at ugly developments.

We just got that, though:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44619&page=9

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    No, we don't. We've spent the last couple of days arguing about how disappointing that one actually turned out to be.

And, and I'm talking about a city within a city, not an apartment here.

Some serious grubbing started yesterday east of Oklahoma Av and south of 82nd St. Pete, time to get some drone shots

Took these last (Friday) night. You can see the huge number of cars.

The grading is for the next phase of The Half. The new high school will be on the land to the east; you can see the border marked by the more dense tree line.

They will soon be extending Oklahoma Ave. to Wilshire.

In-N-Out would be a good get for either this location or Chisholm Creek. It would be better than one of the other hundreds of fast food joints OKC already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    In-N-Out would be a good get for either this location or Chisholm Creek. It would be better than one of the other hundreds of fast food joints OKC already has.
    I can only hope... <sigh>

Glad to see Flix is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    I can only hope... <sigh>
    Does anyone know the developer for this project? Are they local? if they’re not, it would seem logical to build one. They would make a killing and with their distribution center in Dallas it’s close enough to happen. I’m not sure why they haven’t came to OKC yet. Shake shack will make an announcement soon. I don’t know why In-N-Out wouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does anyone know the developer for this project? Are they local? if they’re not, it would seem logical to build one. They would make a killing and with their distribution center in Dallas it’s close enough to happen. I’m not sure why they haven’t came to OKC yet. Shake shack will make an announcement soon. I don’t know why In-N-Out wouldn’t.
    I "think" In-N-Out is a privately held company. IIRC, the only owner is the granddaughter of the founder. Seems like they don't freeze food content, and will only build within a 4 hour drive of a warehouse. And that is part of why they aren't wanting to come to Oklahoma City yet. I must admit, I have no idea how they handle their real estate. So, I don't know how often they lease, versus owning locations. But, I recall they have a location on The Linq Promenade in Las Vegas, and I can't imagine Caesars would sell any of that real estate.

Can we please not drag In-N-Out into every single thread??

^^^

Yes, first, I don't see anything special about In-N-Out Burger, probably because I spent too much time in California. Second, In-N-Out Burger isn't any more special than local options such as Spark. I think it's weird that many people wish to see chain restaurants come to a city. It doesn't say that their city is getting recognition from big brands as much as it proves that the city has a sloppy food scene, where there are not many good chefs with original concepts, causing people to crave out-of-state things like burger and fried chicken chains.

I don't see myself traveling to a new location and immediately looking for Taco Bell, McDonald's, Shake Shack, or In-N-Out Burger. Instead, I'd look for James Beard-awarded restaurants, local gems, and places like that. If I could wish for something, I'd wish OKC to have more talented chefs who can publish best-selling cookbooks, diverse cuisine, and many restaurants that appear in national publications such as Food & Wine or Condé Nast. I'd wish for many restaurants to receive national recognition and for many food bloggers who can describe good restaurants and good food with more than five adjectives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    ^^^ Yes. First, I don't see anything special about In-N-Out Burger, probably because I spent too much time in California. Second, In-N-Out Burger isn't any better than local options such as Spark. I think it's weird that many people wish for chain restaurants to come to a city. It doesn't indicate that their city is getting recognition from big brands; rather, it proves that the city has a lackluster food scene, lacking many good chefs with original concepts that the residents end up craving out-of-state things like burger and fried chicken chains. I don't see myself traveling to a new location and immediately looking for Taco Bell, McDonald's, Shake Shack, or In-N-Out Burger. I'm going to look for James Beard Award-winning restaurants, local favorites, stuff like that.
    Totally apples and oranges.

It would draw great traffic to the Half. But, so would many other things. If they are looking for drawing lots of people, it isn't a James Beard restaurant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can we please not drag In-N-Out into every single thread??
    Apparently not. It and Shake Shack is an obsession here. Apparently many think those are the bar for being a big time ciy.lol

An average burger chain would draw great traffic to a development. OK. :-). My friends in San Francisco are dying to see Braum's there with their burgers, ice cream & the dairy store.

20. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Totally apples and oranges.

It would draw great traffic to the Half. But, so would many other things. If they are looking for drawing lots of people, it isn't a James Beard restaurant.
    Santa Fe, Austin, Denver have local favorites and James Beard Restaurants. Both are a huge draw to those cities. Whenever I am traveling the first thing I do is look for local favorites and James Beard nominated restaurants. I do not care about the chain restaurant that I can get there and not in my state. I didn't go to Chicago for White Castle I went there for Au Cheval.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Glad to see Flix is doing well.
    I made the mistake of going to Quail to see Twisters when Flix was sold out one night. Never again. Flix is the only way I'll go see a movie now. Quail AMC is such a terrible experience. The stupid coke machine that serves all flavors wasn't working, but nobody knew that behind the counter, so they were still selling drinks. Now I've got a large popcorn and no drink. The seats feel like I'm in an airplane, and the A/C in the theatre was not working, at least, not very well. I almost fell asleep towards the end, I was so miserable.

22. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I made the mistake of going to Quail to see Twisters when Flix was sold out one night. Never again. Flix is the only way I'll go see a movie now. Quail AMC is such a terrible experience. The stupid coke machine that serves all flavors wasn't working, but nobody knew that behind the counter, so they were still selling drinks. Now I've got a large popcorn and no drink. The seats feel like I'm in an airplane, and the A/C in the theatre was not working, at least, not very well. I almost fell asleep towards the end, I was so miserable.
    Flix has totally changed my mind about the movie going experience. I will never go to AMC, even if they are showing something that no other theater is showing. Flix is my go to for every movie.

Just thought I would put in a good word for Icon Windsor Hills. No, it's not as fancy as Flix, but the seats are Uber-comfortable and the concessions game is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Just thought I would put in a good word for Icon Windsor Hills. No, it's not as fancy as Flix, but the seats are Uber-comfortable and the concessions game is strong.
    Comfortable seats are just the bare minimum now, for me. And it's surprising how many theatres still have awful, uncomfortable seats!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Flix has totally changed my mind about the movie going experience. I will never go to AMC, even if they are showing something that no other theater is showing. Flix is my go to for every movie.
    Flix also does a lot of screenings of older movies, ones that I either saw in the theatre the first time or missed and always wanted to see in the theatre. It feels like they've added more of them, and I'm thinking about going to see Blazing Saddles there next month!

Thread Information