Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cushing, Oklahoma -- Oil Hub

Default Re: Cushing, Oklahoma -- Oil Hub

So few jobs for such a large investment. But still great for the state.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    So few jobs for such a large investment. But still great for the state.
    But this story says for construction alone, 1,250 jobs will be available over the next two to three years. So, lots of people coming in. Housing prices and rents will likely go way up. Area towns will benefit greatly. If not enough housing, maybe some workers will have to commute from OKC and Tulsa: https://www.fox23.com/news/cushing-c...7ed1136e5.html

423 new refinery jobs considerably better than nothing for a small town.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    But this story says for construction alone, 1,250 jobs will be available over the next two to three years. So, lots of people coming in. Housing prices and rents will likely go way up. Area towns will benefit greatly. If not enough housing, maybe some workers will have to commute from OKC and Tulsa: https://www.fox23.com/news/cushing-c...7ed1136e5.html

423 new refinery jobs considerably better than nothing for a small town.
    Oh no, it will be great for Cushing. But it just seems high on a per permanent job basis, rhe investment is high. But these are good-paying jobs, so it will likely pay off, just take a bit more time.

The huge new Cushing refinery is still on but delayed because the company has been having difficulty finding a square mile piece of land for sale.

Whew, I didn't know the state has provided $1.5 billion in incentives to the company. That's about double what it offered Panasonic.

https://tankterminals.com/news/plans...-been-delayed/

Very, very happy to see that this project is moving forward. It is a bit concerning with the latest news, but I really hope this would happen. This would be absolutely huge for the state. I just don’t understand why it’s that big of an issue to find a square mile of land. It would seem like the state should be pushing heaven and earth to make this happen and it looks like they are.

7. Default Re: Cushing, Oklahoma -- Oil Hub

I drove through Cushing yesterday on my way back from Tulsa. That town is literally dying on the vine. There are quite a few buildings that are closed up, the downtown is mostly empty, and it has definitely gone downhill the last few years. Just my 2 cents, anyway.

8. Default Re: Cushing, Oklahoma -- Oil Hub

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I drove through Cushing yesterday on my way back from Tulsa. That town is literally dying on the vine. There are quite a few buildings that are closed up, the downtown is mostly empty, and it has definitely gone downhill the last few years. Just my 2 cents, anyway.
    I went through Cushing a few weeks ago. I thought the same thing. When Kerr-McGee still had a presence there I went often to see a friend that had transferred there from the R&D center where we worked together. It was a fairly busy town back then.

Almost all small towns are shrinking and their population is skewed strongly towards senior citizens.

They will shrink pretty dramatically over the next couple of decades as boomers are rapidly aging; they currently range from 60 to 78.

And very few young people stay in small towns these days and thus birth rates are low.

This project should absolutely transform the town and spur additional economic activity, right?

In another article, I saw it mentioned they had a hydrogen component. I know next to Jack sh!t About energy production, so I don’t really know how hydrogen is going to fit into this, but is that normal for oil refineries? I just really hope that happens here and not Texas.

I was in Cushing about a couple of months ago and thought it was awful how many downtown buildings were empty, dilapidated and possibly beyond restoration. But unlike other towns, Cushing hasn't been declining in population in recent years and added some people. The World Population review puts Cushing 2024 population at 8416. The U. S. 2020 census was 8327.

The new refinery should be able to transform the town, economically. Not many towns get 400+ new jobs. Hopefully, it can revive downtown.

Oklahoma towns located not too far from the metros or just off the Interstates probably have the best chances of growing or at worst just being stagnant.

Thread Information