Widgets Magazine
Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36818283848586
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2150

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

What do you all think about the Oklahoma City Blue also playing in the stadium if it gets built? The location is easy to get to, so the Thunder can still play their two way and end of the bench guys in Blue games and Thunder games in the same day. The NBA doesn't want the blue playing in the Paycom center because it is too big, this facility seems like it would be a good fit size wise for the team. It also provides a little more value to the people in Norman for the investment into the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    What do you all think about the Oklahoma City Blue also playing in the stadium if it gets built? The location is easy to get to, so the Thunder can still play their two way and end of the bench guys in Blue games and Thunder games in the same day. The NBA doesn't want the blue playing in the Paycom center because it is too big, this facility seems like it would be a good fit size wise for the team. It also provides a little more value to the people in Norman for the investment into the facility.
    as long as the thunder group has no control or ownership over it, and are just a paying tenant who is like third on the scheduling order, i'm good with it

Developer: Agreement close for Norman entertainment project
    By : Jeff Elkins//The Journal Record//July 23, 2024//

NORMAN – An economic development agreement with the City of Norman for the entertainment district in University North Park is almost complete, the project’s lead developer says.

The Development Oversight Committee for TIF District 2 met last week to discuss plans for the $1 billion entertainment district near Interstate 35 and Rock Creek Road. Traffic plans and impacts are still being considered and city finance staff told the committee that the economic development agreement for the project had not been reached.

Dallas-based Rainier Companies CEO Danny Lovell, lead developer on the project, said as of Monday, they’re on the verge of an agreement.

“I think the city is used to having specific development plans on specific pieces of dirt, and this is obviously much larger, more complicated, involves multiple landowners and a vision over a long period of time,” Lovell said. “But I’m confident now that there was a meeting last week with the development team and the city to kind of bridge the gap on some items that were left outstanding. I’m confident if they’re not all agreed on now, then they will be shortly.”

The project spans approximately 240 acres, which includes about 90 acres of land owned by the OU Foundation, 60 acres controlled by the Norman Economic Development Coalition and 88 acres owned by others.

Lovell said he couldn’t discuss specific details in the agreement, but one of the general discussion points was how to hold the developer accountable.

“Obviously we’re used to being held accountable for development plans, however, they’re not always encompassing land that other people own,” Lovell said. “I think there’s multiple points within there that were being refined and really talked through, and that was, I’ll just say, one of the concepts that I think were discussed, written and agreed on now that everybody kind of understands.”

How is a $1 billion entertainment district possible in Norman?
    Lovell also spoke on the apprehension expressed by some who are reluctant to support the district. One of the main concerns from some Norman city residents, planning commissioners and city councilmembers is that the district could cannibalize retail and dining in other areas of the city. Lovell anticipates the district will bring new activity, and he supports his projection based on his last business deal in Norman.

Rainier Companies in 2019 purchased University Town Center, a class-A shopping center with more than 400,000 square feet of retail that accounts for 7.5% of Norman’s tax revenue, according to the city’s finance department.

“Back in 2005 when that was built, the occupancy in Norman for retail retailers was 96% and it didn’t dip until 2019 when it dropped to 95%,” Lovell said. “That told us that not only were they bringing retailers from outside of the city that weren’t currently there, but anybody that did move around or expand was backfilled by somebody else.”

Lovell said his company purchased University Town Center because the state’s third-largest city became a super-regional shopping destination and reaps the benefit of being 20 minutes from Oklahoma City.

When a retailer opens an Oklahoma City store and then looks to expand further into the state, Lovell said they likely choose a north, south or western metro-area location, but aside from growth near Interstate 240 in the last decade, options are limited.

“That’s become the place that retailers want to be if they’re going to have a southern Oklahoma City store because there’s access to (Interstate 35) for shoppers, as well as a lot of tourism around sporting events and other community events within Norman,” Lovell said.

As an Oklahoma native who went to school at the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Christian University, Lovell said the entertainment district is a passion project. He said many up-and-coming arena projects are in major cities like Los Angeles or Washington, D.C., and it’s rare to have a project of this magnitude in a town of 120,000 people, which is only possible with a catalyst.

“Norman couldn’t sustain a $1 billion project with 120,000 people. There’s not enough volume or revenue, right? So, what we’ve got here is the state’s flagship university, its need for an arena, and Norman’s need for a community event center, and the city has the ability to leverage that into a large and walkable mixed-use district,” Lovell said. “It’s a unique set of circumstances that just doesn’t happen in a lot of places.”

When the project went before Norman Planning Commission last month, multiple residents said they weren’t opposed to a large entertainment district in town, they just want OU to pay for their arena.

Lovell said he understands that, but the public-private partnership with OU is what could give Norman the ability to generate tax revenue that they would otherwise not be able to.

“In our estimation, we couldn’t build what we’re talking about building, or what we envisioned to build without a large anchor,” Lovell said.

I'm biased, and realize the two are not related; but I'd rather see $1 billion in (re)development at Campus Corner and downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I'm biased, and realize the two are not related; but I'd rather see $1 billion in (re)development at Campus Corner and downtown.
    i mean i would like to see both of those projects too... but still along with this one

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I've said this all along. This just sucks more energy away from the areas the city have been redeveloping.

7. Default Re: University Town Center

Campus Corner is suffering from two owners wanting exorbitant rent so it just kills the area. I wish OU owned that and could rent it out. It is definitely not SEC ready.

Main street already has a TIF as far as I know and no shops stay empty long.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Campus Corner is suffering from two owners wanting exorbitant rent so it just kills the area. I wish OU owned that and could rent it out. It is definitely not SEC ready.

Main street already has a TIF as far as I know and no shops stay empty long.
    exactly this... and we can't use a TIF to force people to sell their businesses like that. But it's funny because we were literally talking on this site about a massive redevelopment of campus corner, and it literally fell apart because because of a few of the owners...

that is why i made my response to the person saying they wish that a billion dollar investment was happing to CC, because (while i don't know the total price tag), we almost had a massive CC redevelopment and this in UNP

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    exactly this... and we can't use a TIF to force people to sell their businesses like that. But it's funny because we were literally talking on this site about a massive redevelopment of campus corner, and it literally fell apart because because of a few of the owners...

that is why i made my response to the person saying they wish that a billion dollar investment was happing to CC, because (while i don't know the total price tag), we almost had a massive CC redevelopment and this in UNP
    There are acres of land owned by OU along University Blvd. that could be part of a huge redevelopment of Campus Corner. I would think the First Presbyterian Church would also entertain selling their property and downsizing at a different location.

The strip centers at Boyd & Jenkins are also ripe for redevelopment into higher-density mixed-use buildings especially as more student housing gets built closer to the RR tracks. I know of at least one 7-story student housing project that has been discussed for Boyd & Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    There are acres of land owned by OU along University Blvd. that could be part of a huge redevelopment of Campus Corner. I would think the First Presbyterian Church would also entertain selling their property and downsizing at a different location.

The strip centers at Boyd & Jenkins are also ripe for redevelopment into higher-density mixed-use buildings especially as more student housing gets built closer to the RR tracks. I know of at least one 7-story student housing project that has been discussed for Boyd & Trout.
    OU owns 1 plot along their with very little university frontage .. and first presbyterian has 0 interest in moving ..

why would the church be interested in moving?

can you please point out the records showing which plots of land OU owns in Campus corner please. i actually would like to see that.
    Because all i can find is a few houses and some parking lots, clearly not enough for a massive renovation

Only if those owners want to... and they apparently don't. which is why the massive redevelopment effort that was trying to be done failed. again. can we have a discussion in reality. yes, i would love to see those redeveloped, but the owners apparently don't and don't want to sell. so what are you suggesting that can actually happen? because a proposed plan was already attempted and failed

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    can you please point out the records showing which plots of land OU owns in Campus corner please. i actually would like to see that.
    OU owns the parking lot north of Boyd House with the exception of the parking area across the street from the church and due south of the NOUN Hotel. They also own Whitehand Hall and the buildings to the north (where Blackbird used to be located).

Areas in red are owned by OU
    i'm not able to see an image. maybe it's being blocked currently

OU owns the parking lot north of Boyd House with the exception of the parking area across the street from the church and due south of the NOUN Hotel. They also own Whitehand Hall and the buildings to the north (where Blackbird used to be located).
    okay, thank you for that info. so all the places i saw. and so not much land for a massive renovation project. sure they could do something on that, but it really wouldn't be that large

nope there is another parking lot south of the church parking also fronting boyd that OU does NOT own ..

OU has 50 feet of frontage just north of boyd house then a gap then another 50 feel of frontage ... that is it ..

OU owns .93 acre parcel there .. a .41 parcel and a .38 parcel .. and a .92860 parcel

for 2.726 acres total ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    nope there is another parking lot south of the church parking also fronting boyd that OU does NOT own ..

OU has 50 feet of frontage just north of boyd house then a gap then another 50 feel of frontage ... that is it ..

OU owns .93 acre parcel there .. a .41 parcel and a .38 parcel ..

for 1.72 acres total ..
    yup. exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

OU owns .93 acre parcel there .. a .41 parcel and a .38 parcel .. and a .92860 parcel

for 2.726 acres total ..
    Like I said, OU owns acres of land in Campus Corner and could purchase the additional parking lots and properties along University Blvd. Not to mention OU owns all land in between Boyd, Jenkins, Trout and Brooks with the exception of a few parcels along Trout.

19. Default Re: University Town Center

First hearing on the new TIF for the stadium is on Sept. 3rd and the final reading and vote look to be on Sept. 17th.

First of two public meetings about the TIF district/arena were held. From the article: O’Connor outlined objectives for the project: retaining and expanding employment, reversing stagnation, preserving and enhancing the tax base, and stimulating private commitments to invest and reinvest in the area.

Reverse stagnation? What is stagnating in Norman? Hasnt Pete said that UNP is the most visited retail center in the state?

They also claim 140 events will happen at the new arena, so one about every 2.5 days. Sounds about as unrealistic as the Sunset Amphitheater's projections.

https://journalrecord.com/2024/09/no...ment-district/

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    First of two public meetings about the TIF district/arena were held. From the article: O’Connor outlined objectives for the project: retaining and expanding employment, reversing stagnation, preserving and enhancing the tax base, and stimulating private commitments to invest and reinvest in the area.

Reverse stagnation? What is stagnating in Norman? Hasnt Pete said that UNP is the most visited retail center in the state?

They also claim 140 events will happen at the new arena, so one about every 2.5 days. Sounds about as unrealistic as the Sunset Amphitheater's projections.

If the university wants to host 2 events a week there they absolutely could. They have a staggering amount of bull**** going on. The vast majority of those events will not drive any sort of revenue to the local area though. It will mostly be internal OU events.

Norman, economically, isn't growing much. No new large-scale developments, no major companies opening or setting up shop in Norman.

So while the retail side is fine, it has nothing unique or special about it. It benefits from a massive Crest and Super Target, and 30,000 college students who have parents money to spend.

i mean just between OU men's and women's basketball and women's gymnastics, there is basically 40 of those. now include graduations, perhaps both OU and high schools, there is a chance for some high school basketball tournaments, we are down to about 85 events a year. that isn't unreasonable for an indoor arena that won't be affected by weather. just because Paycom center has been extremely underused for the past 15 years doesn't mean that other arena can't find and hold events.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    If the university wants to host 2 events a week there they absolutely could. They have a staggering amount of bull**** going on. The vast majority of those events will not drive any sort of revenue to the local area though. It will mostly be internal OU events.
    The only 2 sure things at this point are the CC will pass it Sept. 17 regardless if there is an economic development plan in place or not. The other is there will be an organized petition drive to overturn the approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The only 2 sure things at this point are the CC will pass it Sept. 17 regardless if there is an economic development plan in place or not. The other is there will be an organized petition drive to overturn the approval.
    once the money is encumbered .. I am not sure that it can be overturned ..

Thread Information